This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How Civilization V Vanilla (no DLC)

#1amskleiPosted 6/10/2014 6:06:08 PM
Yeah its on sale. I'm not ambitions enough to go for complete but am curious enough to (maybe) pick up the vanilla. Only other civilization game I've played was Call to Power back in about 2000. For $7 am I going to feel like I only got half a game?
---
Steam ID: Amsklei
Origin ID: Jhopjones
#2SlashmanSGPosted 6/10/2014 6:18:44 PM
amsklei posted...
For $7 am I going to feel like I only got half a game?

Yes, just get the complete edition. It's well worth it.
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://i.imgur.com/Um0p3xx.gif http://i.imgur.com/MIbbUHB.gif
#3The_Pig_HostagePosted 6/10/2014 6:41:08 PM
SlashmanSG posted...
amsklei posted...
For $7 am I going to feel like I only got half a game?

Yes, just get the complete edition. It's well worth it.

I second this. The expansions drastically change the game (for much, much better). You're missing out on the true Civ V experience by skipping them.
#4Skul_Posted 6/10/2014 6:50:37 PM
Civ V without expansions is kind of meh. At the very least get BNW. But yeah just get complete.
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#5HighOnPhazonPosted 6/10/2014 11:20:28 PM
Vanilla Civ V is not recommended.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#6Greendragon854Posted 6/10/2014 11:37:14 PM
It was fine. It's much, much, MUCH better with expansions. Turns it into a game you can play for hours and enjoy (vs a game you can play for hours and wonder why you're playing this particular game for hours.)
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#7Majoras_pantsPosted 6/10/2014 11:40:58 PM
Here's the thing,

if you're going Vanilla, you could just get 4 and play that for the same price with it's expansions somewhere.

But buying Civ 5 complete is worth more than any other game out there, besides maybe Crusader Kings 2.

Sure, Civ 5 is fine at $7, but Civ 5 complete is worth more than it's full price.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#8DC07301981Posted 6/11/2014 1:37:18 AM
Definitely get all the expansions if you can. It completely transforms the base Civ V game into the full experience.
#9amsklei(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2014 3:01:10 AM
Well I was thinking of picking it up vanilla just because I don't have enough in my steam wallet to get complete but more than enough to get vanilla. I don't want to add more funds to my wallet until the big sale drops. This was more of a "in the meantime" idea
---
Steam ID: Amsklei
Origin ID: Jhopjones
#10DC07301981Posted 6/11/2014 3:05:49 AM
amsklei posted...
Well I was thinking of picking it up vanilla just because I don't have enough in my steam wallet to get complete but more than enough to get vanilla. I don't want to add more funds to my wallet until the big sale drops. This was more of a "in the meantime" idea

That's understandable. If you really want it, get it anyway. Even the base Civ V game is worth it. The next time you have more money, pick up the expansions. You'll get more than your money's worth with just the base Civ V game so I recommend that you pick it up if you really want to. You can always wait for the next sale.