This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

5 Questions about installing an SSD.

#1TeritoclonePosted 6/10/2014 8:07:51 PM(edited)
I will be adding an mSATA to my laptop in order to keep my HDD. I have found a nice model (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089W4RDW/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) and I am about to order it, I just have 5 questions:

1.- To this day and age, do I still need to manually tweak the BIOS/Registry in order to get the system to recognize and properly employ the SSD?

2.- I will do a fresh windows install in my new SSD, does it install like an usual harddrive? (Boot -> Windows CD -> Format -> Partition -> Install)

3.- Is there a way to remove the OS files from my HDD in order to save space without having to format it and lose everything?
3.5.- If so, what happens to drivers in the HDD? Do they have to migrate or can they interact?

4.- Do I NEED to disconnect the HDD while installing the SSD OS? Why?

5.- This is the place where it will be: http://i.imgur.com/13QAkPC.jpg Problem is there is no screw holes (The one you see there is to assemble the cover, so I can't use that) Do I need to glue it into place?
---
Kevin sent me.
PSN: Tigermisu
#2LordSeiferPosted 6/10/2014 8:08:23 PM
no yes yes no no
---
^ this
#3WerdnAndreWPosted 6/10/2014 8:11:42 PM(edited)
Teritoclone posted...
1.- To this day and age, do I still need to manually tweak the BIOS/Registry in order to get the system to recognize and properly emply the SSD?

No

Teritoclone posted...
2.- I will do a fresh windows install in my new SSD, does it install like an usual harddrive? (Boot -> Windows CD -> Format -> Partition -> Install)

Yes

Teritoclone posted...
3.- Is there a way to remove the OS files from my HDD in order to save space without having to format it and lose everything?
3.5.- If so, what happens to drivers in the HDD? Do they have to migrate or can they interact?

The best you can do is delete the windows and program folders. When you install Windows onto the ssd, it doesn't matter what you had on the hdd.

Teritoclone posted...
4.- Do I NEED to disconnect the HDD while installing the SSD OS? Why?

Yes, Windows will most likely install some boot files on the hdd if its connected. If for some reason your hdd dies, you won't be able to boot into windows and will need to do a startup repair using the windows disc.

Teritoclone posted...
5.- This is the place where it will be: http://i.imgur.com/13QAkPC.jpg Problem is there is no screw holes (The one you see there is to assemble the cover, so I can't use that) Do I need to glue it into place?

The metal triangle on the top left, there is a standoff above it. That is where you screw it into.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#4Teritoclone(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2014 9:42:43 PM
Roger, thank you guys.
---
Kevin sent me.
#5myztikricePosted 6/10/2014 9:44:53 PM
WerdnAndreW posted...
Yes, Windows will most likely install some boot files on the hdd if its connected. If for some reason your hdd dies, you won't be able to boot into windows and will need to do a startup repair using the windows disc.

never heard of this
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#6Lonestar2000Posted 6/11/2014 3:01:36 AM
I'd get this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RKT4/?tag=pcpapi-20
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#7WerdnAndreWPosted 6/11/2014 1:04:06 PM
myztikrice posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...

never heard of this

Well it happened to me twice on two different computers. If you have two hard drives in your PC you can check in disk management if your second drive is needed for booting windows.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#8Teritoclone(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2014 11:40:59 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...
I'd get this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RKT4/?tag=pcpapi-20

Well I ordered the one I put, it didn't seem like there was much of a difference aside price.

WerdnAndreW posted...
myztikrice posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...

never heard of this

Well it happened to me twice on two different computers. If you have two hard drives in your PC you can check in disk management if your second drive is needed for booting windows.

That sucks, I hope my HDD is disconnect-able without having to do a lot of further disassembling
---
Kevin sent me.
#9El MagnificoPosted 6/13/2014 11:50:18 AM
You don't have to disconnect the HDD. You just need to make sure that the SSD has a higher boot priority than the HDD in the BIOS before installing WIndows. Even if you forget to change the boot order before installing WIndows it's relatively easy to fix later.
#10Lonestar2000Posted 6/13/2014 12:24:22 PM
Teritoclone posted...
Well I ordered the one I put, it didn't seem like there was much of a difference aside price.

Crucial has better quality.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335