This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone get me up to date on ati vs nvidia exclusive features?

#1dat1337vetPosted 6/10/2014 8:39:06 PM
Currently I'm running a HD 5870 which I've had since it launched in September 2009. Within the next year here I would like to get an upgrade which will last me another ~5 years. I know all the console are using ati cards, and hence nvidia is really pushing for pc dominance. Other than that I've been living under a rock for 4 years
---
Lik-Sang was a criminal organization - C4111
#2NazcaiPosted 6/10/2014 8:47:18 PM
Nvidia - Better drivers and game support
AMD - GPUs are better and cheaper than Nvidia but lacks game support
---
Sabertooth X58 | MSI GTX 760 | i7 950 3.07GHz | Freezer Pro 7 v2 | Corsair 12gb 1600MHz | CM Silent Pro 1000W | Crucial 128gb SSD | Ducky dk2108 | Logitech G500
#3NazcaiPosted 6/10/2014 8:48:11 PM
Honestly right now, I'd rather get an AMD r9 series card than Nvidia 700 series unless you are willing to wait for the 800 series to come out.
---
Sabertooth X58 | MSI GTX 760 | i7 950 3.07GHz | Freezer Pro 7 v2 | Corsair 12gb 1600MHz | CM Silent Pro 1000W | Crucial 128gb SSD | Ducky dk2108 | Logitech G500
#4ebj767Posted 6/10/2014 8:51:47 PM
PS4/Xbone games are being programmed with AMD GPUs and GPU features in mind, so multiplatforms should start to run better on AMD GPUs hopefully, since console devs trying to squeeze performance out of consoles will utilize the same GPU tricks.

I see things like TressFX and other physics stuff being heavily incorported into these next gen games and AMD GPU owners will see the benefits.

We'll see in a year or two.
#5CatToyPosted 6/10/2014 8:57:27 PM
Nvidia has the drivers/support, PhysX, (the awesome) Shadowplay and 3D Vision.

AMD has mining, (the unproven) TressFX, (the also unproven) Mantle, and typically better price points.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#6PhilOnDezPosted 6/10/2014 9:00:10 PM
Nvidia supports their cards for longer so if you want something for the long haul they're what I would go for.

As for features, AMD has tressfx and mantle, tressfx is used in one game while mantle is used in two. Mantle does improve performance in those games by a large amount in CPU limited situations but it's important to note that nvidia released new drivers shortly after that gave a similar boost to every single DX11 game, including the two with mantle support, and in those two nvidia's DX11 drivers offer superior performance to Mantle. Couple that with the upcoming DX12 that should reduce CPU overhead even more and I don't think mantle is much of a selling point.

Nvidia's counter to tressfx is PhysX (though they don't really compete as tressfx is just for hair while PhysX is a complete physics library). It's pretty rare for it to be used extensively but every unreal engine game utilizes it to some degree and that's one of the most commonly use engines around. If you don't have an nvidia card you can still use software PhysX so you aren't ever locked out of a game, you just can't use the hardware accelerated PhysX effects their cards can offer which is neat when it's used but that isn't often.

Another nvidia feature is gsync, it matches up your monitor's refresh rate to the number of frames your gpu is pushing, basically causing it to refresh with each frame instead of a flat 60 (or however many) times a second. AMD has a software solution called free sync but I haven't heard/seen much about it.

That came out more pro-nvidia than I'd intended, hopefully someone else can share AMD's good points.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7dat1337vet(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2014 9:14:03 PM
Thanks, very helpful!
---
Lik-Sang was a criminal organization - C4111
#8Lemur_HPosted 6/10/2014 9:14:52 PM
Nvidia - alive.

ATI - dead.
#9Mudkip57Posted 6/10/2014 11:03:22 PM
http://lolbot.net/pix/16247.jpeg
#10Unsugarized_FooPosted 6/11/2014 2:13:12 AM
If you want to be like me, get a 750 GTX, wait for the 800 series, then when a good deal happens for one of the better cards you buy it, and use the 750 GTX for PhysX or sell it. Its just $100 and does most new games on med. It also does as a physx card really well.

No one agrees with me, but I'm not a no one.
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana