This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Scarcity Of Non-White Characters in Video-Games

#11Neo_PortaPottyPosted 6/10/2014 11:04:13 PM
Disastersaurus posted...
In Triple A games yeah it's a problem, and it's not helping the industries. Budgets inflate while the demographic remains the same, and they wonder why more and more studios shut down?

Indie gaming is exploding, though, and in large part due to a lot more unconventional protagonists and more reasonable budgets. Transistor, for example, has a great female lead and has been extremely successful.

Most recent tomb raider was pretty damn good 2 even though it lacked in actual tomb raiding :)
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
#12WyzeGyePosted 6/10/2014 11:09:06 PM
San Andreas was pretty sweet and in no way represented a negative african american stereotype.
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
#13LOLIAmAnAltPosted 6/10/2014 11:36:10 PM
I don't know, there are a metric tun of games with an asian guy as the main protagonist
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
#14jedinatPosted 6/10/2014 11:52:38 PM
The Walking Dead - black male MC
LIMBO - black male MC
#15KenimaticPosted 6/11/2014 12:04:43 AM(edited)
Guilty Gear Xrd's current Final Boss is black.
#16good_mangorushPosted 6/11/2014 12:10:18 AM
BannedMom posted...
I think when it comes to females, a lot more people would buy a game where if a girl looks like Maria Sharpova than Serena Williams or Michelle Obama.

Serena Williams? Poor example dude, her arm is as big as normal girl's leg.
I will buy if the main character look like Beyonce.
---
I am proud to be weeaboo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKheh_T0ho
#17LOLIAmAnAltPosted 6/11/2014 10:44:29 AM
good_mangorush posted...
BannedMom posted...
I think when it comes to females, a lot more people would buy a game where if a girl looks like Maria Sharpova than Serena Williams or Michelle Obama.

Serena Williams? Poor example dude, her arm is as big as normal girl's leg.
I will buy if the main character look like Beyonce.

I think you read that wrong
---
#18therickmu25Posted 6/11/2014 10:50:15 AM
I'm assuming TC is referring to 'need more black people In games' considering there are tons of games with Asian and Latino protaganists. I'm sorry but this is the way the world works. Black people are a minority in society, we don't need a 50/50 split to make the ones that don't understand what being a minority is feel better.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#19El_KazPosted 6/11/2014 10:52:06 AM
A3ON_FLUX posted...
Seriously what the f this is 2014 why does every game I play have the main character as a white male aged 20-40 is that what the big companies think is representitive of the global gaming community think of a game from EA or ubisoft in recent years that did not have a white male young character and no other options and if this game contained non-black characters they were probably stereotyped, this does not include games where you can make characters this has to be a game where the main character on the box art and featured in the game was either a strong good non-white male character even in games with female protagonists which is good for games they are always white woman is this just how videogames will always be will my children not be able to insert themselves into a strong female non-sexualised role or a black character who is not a walking meat head who is just the white mains sidekick.

I find this post discriminatory against punctuation, periods especially.
This is 2014 guys... posts should have more commas and periods, not just young white male words!
---
Wait... what?
#20SinisterSlayPosted 6/11/2014 10:53:48 AM
therickmu25 posted...
I'm assuming TC is referring to 'need more black people In games' considering there are tons of games with Asian and Latino protaganists. I'm sorry but this is the way the world works. Black people are a minority in society, we don't need a 50/50 split to make the ones that don't understand what being a minority is feel better.

I think you mean in america.

They are by no means a minority in total.
Unless your one of those people that would go to Africa and say "wow look at all the minorities here"
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence