This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Scarcity Of Non-White Characters in Video-Games

#31DoramiPosted 6/11/2014 12:43:24 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
They are by no means a minority in total.
Unless your one of those people that would go to Africa and say "wow look at all the minorities here"

There are 1.1 billion people in Africa. There are 1.2 billion Han Chinese in China. There are 1.2 billion people in India.

Yes, blacks are a minority in total.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 4 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#32KillerTrufflePosted 6/11/2014 1:11:54 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
You must not have been to Africa.
They have entire cities of rich people, it's insane that they don't donate to their own poor.

I don't deny that and didn't imply otherwise. I just said the *bulk* of the country.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#33JYLE_BrHPosted 6/11/2014 1:27:39 PM
Who cares?
#34analogmanPosted 6/11/2014 1:31:50 PM
oooh ooh i want asian characters too.
---
check my quote :DD
#35SinisterSlayPosted 6/11/2014 1:38:02 PM
analogman posted...
oooh ooh i want asian characters too.

I want black asians
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#36kingjosh1876Posted 6/11/2014 1:38:11 PM
People should stop complaining about non-problems, there are a large population of white people in the west and it seems senseful that characters in media might be such too. The developers will make what they want to and nobody is making you buy it, but if a black character fits the story/theme/art direction of the game then they will be black and if a white person fits then they will be white.
#37DoramiPosted 6/11/2014 1:50:33 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
They have entire cities of rich people, it's insane that they don't donate to their own poor.

I don't deny that and didn't imply otherwise. I just said the *bulk* of the country.

---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 4 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#38KillerTrufflePosted 6/11/2014 2:03:02 PM
Dorami posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Yes yes... I was typing quickly and half distracted during my reply. Continent. So sue me. :P
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#39kenlee25Posted 6/11/2014 2:31:31 PM
The whole "if a role fits a black person, they will use a black person, and if it fits a white person they will use a white person" thing is very flawed, because it assumes that just because someone is of a certain skin tone they have to act a certain way, which is just not true. I could pick out 4 people off the top of my head that act more or less the same, even though each one of them is of a different ethnicity.

There are tons of great games with generally Generic characters that have stories that in know way revolve around the character's race. Joel from the last of us, for example, could have easily been hispanic, black, or asian. You just need a middle aged dude that lost his daughter and is really disgruntled about it. It would have changed his character at all, as I have a co-worker who is black that acts pretty much just like Joel.

It's about economics. Devs are going to make games that appeal to the largest demographic, thus we have a lot of generic 30ish year old white characters with beards and really normal jobs before they save the world. Dems just the beans.
#40KidInTheHallPosted 6/11/2014 2:57:24 PM
As a white American male I'm not sure I understand the issue TC is trying to imply.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750