This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8.1 STILL not installing. Halp?

#1MrBombasticaIPosted 6/11/2014 4:42:50 AM(edited)
I've had problems with Windows 8.1 installing before, but now it's a problem I can't seem to fix. The update downloads and installs until the "Setting up a few more things" part, where is completely freezes at 81%. I don't know what causes this, or why, or how to fix it. I've seen the problem on google and can't find a fix that works. I'm wondering if anyone has also had it, and how they fixed it. It gives me an error code when I turn it off (as even the progress wheel fails to move) and it restores properly, but I would like to update to 8.1, and then to 8.1 Update 1. I've talked to Microsoft support and they couldn't help me much, it pretty much was the basic "it's not a corrupt DL, or a hardware problem, we dunno" as I don't have the paid support.

It's extremely annoying, cos I don't know why it's happening, I've had 8.1 on this laptop before, but since moving to an SSD, I haven't bothered after remembering the pain I went through on my HDD just to get past devices checks, where it used to freeze. Now I've pulled the pin and done it, it got past there and instead freezes at a much more common place...

For reference, I'm on a Pavillion dv6 3131TX laptop with a Toshiba 120 GB SSD, and an extra 4 GB of RAM. Other than that and the fact that's on a clean install rather than with the bloatware HP gives, it's fine on Windows 8 and as it was stock made. I had an outdated graphics driver but thats now fixed, so it's got nothing to do with that.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, where the girls are made up, and the guys don't matter.
[This deletion was moderated at the administrator of a user or request.]
#2betatechPosted 6/11/2014 5:09:46 AM
Checked another site, one person uninstalled all third part drivers in addition to upgrading the Intel GPU driver after having a similar issue.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#3MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2014 5:12:11 AM
Okay, I'll try that and hope it works.
---
#4MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2014 5:22:26 AM
S*** I just updated my intel GPU driver and I've just restarted to a blank screen. K what do I do from here (in safe mode that is)
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerFAQs 1.14
Welcome to GameFAQs, where girls are made up, and the guys don't matter.
#5newb_dawgPosted 6/11/2014 5:23:00 AM
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I was trying to update all the drivers at once. When the system would reboot, the install would hang up.

I ended up updating drivers one device at a time. Restarting after each prompt.
---
GT: Tony Blac
PSN: TonyBlac
#6MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2014 5:34:32 AM(edited)
newb_dawg posted...
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I was trying to update all the drivers at once. When the system would reboot, the install would hang up.

I ended up updating drivers one device at a time. Restarting after each prompt.

Only drivers I've installed are the Windows Update ones which took three runs to do properly and the recent Radeon driver update I did.

EDIT: Okay, now I've rolled back the Intel update and the laptop is starting up as normal again. So I'm not doing that again. I'll go to the HP site and see what new Intel drivers they have specifically for my laptop and hope it doesn't bork my laptop (since I won't be able to just roll the driver back if it does).
---
#7wildog2006Posted 6/11/2014 6:05:39 AM
Out of curiosity, how long did you leave it "frozen" while updating? Just because the progress bar isn't moving doesn't mean it's stuck.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#8MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2014 6:36:14 AM
wildog2006 posted...
Out of curiosity, how long did you leave it "frozen" while updating? Just because the progress bar isn't moving doesn't mean it's stuck.

2 hours. There isn't a progress bar, there is a wheel that spins around while it's updating, and that was moving the whole time, even the regular 82% slowdown I get in the Setting Up part at the very beginning. When it freezes, even that stops moving, and that should never stop moving or there is a problem.
---
#9MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 4:33:21 AM(edited)
Well I don't have any idea what to do now. I've had a problem with getting even the upgrade assistant to do anything so I opted for a good old Reset on the laptop. So I tried that and it hung for 6 hours. I just decided to restart the computer. Did that, now the computer won't boot properly, attempting to automatically repair every boot and not even my Windows 8 install disk is being read properly apparently, it says it's now valid to do a refresh or reset. Wut do?

EDIT: I have a Windows 7 Home Premium installation disk I could use to wipe the drive and start again with Windows 7 instead and just get an 8.1 install disk in the future? How would I do that if I can't get very far past the HP logo? I can still access the Boot Menu and attempt repairs and restores but nothing else
---
#10betatechPosted 6/12/2014 5:13:12 AM(edited)
In regards to w8.1, when I needed to clean install W8.1 I was able to successfully do so with a 'generic key'.

Basically I installed W8.1 with this key and then entered my W8 key when it installed.

The problem for you however is that you're using an OEM version, there may be a way to do this but I can't verify whether the method works that I found after a quick Google search (or even if I can link to it since the mods can be funny).

In regards to the W8 disc, have you tried booting it from USB?

In regards to W7, it should be possible with secureboot is disabled but again I don't know if the built in W8 product key will affect it (the keys are now in the firmware).
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.