This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8.1 STILL not installing. Halp?

#11MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 4:15:55 AM
betatech posted...
In regards to w8.1, when I needed to clean install W8.1 I was able to successfully do so with a 'generic key'.

Basically I installed W8.1 with this key and then entered my W8 key when it installed.

The problem for you however if that you're using an OEM version, there may be a way to do this but I can't verify whether the method works that I found after a quick Google search (or even if I can link to it since the mods can be funny).

In regards to the W8 disc, have you tried booting it from USB?

In regards to W7, it should be possible with secureboot is disabled but again I don't know if the built in W8 product key will affect it (the keys are now in the firmware).

I doubt it's OEM, I had 7 on my old drive preinstalled but with my SSD, I opted straight for the disk install so I dunno.

The generic key didn't work for me though when I tried to use it to up to 8.1. Good news is that I've managed to boot from my install disk on 8.0 and it's setting up now. Bad news is that there was a second option to boot from and I assuming that's the old version of the OS. That's f***ed, so how do I get rid of that?
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerFAQs 1.14
Welcome to GameFAQs, where girls are made up, and the guys don't matter.
#12betatechPosted 6/12/2014 4:33:21 AM
MrBombasticaI posted...

I doubt it's OEM, I had 7 on my old drive preinstalled but with my SSD, I opted straight for the disk install so I dunno.

The generic key didn't work for me though when I tried to use it to up to 8.1. Good news is that I've managed to boot from my install disk on 8.0 and it's setting up now. Bad news is that there was a second option to boot from and I assuming that's the old version of the OS. That's f***ed, so how do I get rid of that?

If it's not OEM then I'm surprised if a generic key doesn't work (did you make sure it corresponds to the version you have? i.e. core, pro, etc.).

In regards to the old boot option, easybcd may be able to get rid of it.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#13MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 4:37:05 AM
betatech posted...
MrBombasticaI posted...

If it's not OEM then I'm surprised if a generic key doesn't work (did you make sure it corresponds to the version you have? i.e. core, pro, etc.).

In regards to the old boot option, easybcd may be able to get rid of it.

I'm not too sure if it's still there now that I've finished the installation of my clean 8 install (for about the 7th time in two years...). But I will if it doesn't go away thanks.

The generic key gives me an error talking about how I can't use this code on retail 8.1
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, where the girls are made up, and the guys don't matter.
[This deletion was moderated at the administrator of a user or request.]
#14betatechPosted 6/12/2014 5:01:34 AM(edited)
MrBombasticaI posted...
The generic key gives me an error talking about how I can't use this code on retail 8.1

Was this when trying to download the iso or install?

edit:
If it's the iso try this:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key

edit2:
Also, did you make sure the key corresponds to your version e.g. core, pro, etc.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#15MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 5:55:04 AM
betatech posted...
MrBombasticaI posted...

Was this when trying to download the iso or install?

edit:
If it's the iso try this:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key

edit2:
Also, did you make sure the key corresponds to your version e.g. core, pro, etc.

ISO. The Install from the Store just plain doesn't wanna work. Might try again tomorrow with clean install again.

Also I tried that method, it wasn't working, the 8.1 was still asking for the product code... and yeah the generic key was the pro key from MS's site. I saw something about a KMS or something? Do you need to install the KMS key through cmd to use it with the ISO or is that something different?
---
#16betatechPosted 6/12/2014 8:27:11 AM
MrBombasticaI posted...
Also I tried that method, it wasn't working, the 8.1 was still asking for the product code... and yeah the generic key was the pro key from MS's site. I saw something about a KMS or something? Do you need to install the KMS key through cmd to use it with the ISO or is that something different?

I don't think KMS applies here.

Sorry, just to confirm what to do:
1) You download the W8 and W8.1 installer (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only)
2) Run the W8 installer using your legit W8 key (not the generic key)
3) When it begins to download (say 1%) you quit and run the 8.1 installer which should allow you to bypass the key requirement (is this where you're currently having problems?)
4) Run the installer the way you want (boot from iso or USB)
5) Enter the generic key for Windows 8.1
6) Install Windows
---
#17wildog2006Posted 6/12/2014 8:37:35 AM
When I updated my mom's laptop to 8.1 it took the better part of a day. It was probably updating, and you thought it was hanging. Interrupting it can corrupt data to the point where you need to reinstall your OS. At this point, that's your best bet. Probably going to have to order recovery media from the manufacturer if you didn't create it yourself.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#18MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2014 12:59:21 AM
wildog2006 posted...
When I updated my mom's laptop to 8.1 it took the better part of a day. It was probably updating, and you thought it was hanging. Interrupting it can corrupt data to the point where you need to reinstall your OS. At this point, that's your best bet. Probably going to have to order recovery media from the manufacturer if you didn't create it yourself.

Nah, the update was clearly frozen. It was stuck on the normal black screen with "Setting up a few more things 82%" but the progress wheel stopped moving. That shouldn't stop moving in a 8.1 update.
---
#19MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2014 1:29:05 AM(edited)
betatech posted...
MrBombasticaI posted...

I don't think KMS applies here.

Sorry, just to confirm what to do:
1) You download the W8 and W8.1 installer (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only)
2) Run the W8 installer using your legit W8 key (not the generic key)
3) When it begins to download (say 1%) you quit and run the 8.1 installer which should allow you to bypass the key requirement (is this where you're currently having problems?)
4) Run the installer the way you want (boot from iso or USB)
5) Enter the generic key for Windows 8.1
6) Install Windows

I've tried both scenarios here:

1) Go to the page
2) Downloaded both installers (also tried downloading as I needed them)
3) Ran the W8 installer, put in the working key
4) Waited till it was at 1%
5) Closed the W8 installer
6) Opened the W8.1 installer
7) It came up with the product key requirement anyway.

The page you linked is the one I've used, and it says en-us still even though I'm Australian, and says at the bottom of the page "Hello from Seattle" so its not a different version of the site. I'll try it once more on my new clean install and see where I get.

Using the Wayback machine, the link for the download is even the same, so I don't know how it's not working. Not even the generic keys work, it says it can't connect to the internet to download 8.1 even though it can download 8, I don't know wtf is going on but I'd like 8.1 at some stage, this is beyond a joke now
---
#20betatechPosted 6/13/2014 2:24:34 AM
Unfortunately the w8 downloader doesn't seem to be working for me (as in it doesn't download anything) and when I tried with 8.1 as you said it asked for the key.

I just checked the md5 of the 8.1 installer doesn't match the original installer I used so I don't know if they've changed it or if the W8 downloader problem is affecting it.

Only other things I can think of is to try either getting the iso some other way (obviously using a checksum to make sure it's legit) or to do a clean install of W8 and then do a store upgrade of W8.1 without installing anything else besides windows updates if it needs them.

For the record, my sha1 for W8.1 is: 9d2cbe12b3206615bd7e9523a26ff2fb5dba1b3f

But I'm in a different region to you so I don't know if that would affect it.
---