This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GPU help: Radeon R9 280 vs Nvidia geforce 760 4gb + other questions

#1kenlee25Posted 6/11/2014 7:10:53 AM
So, after having my computer for 4 years, I'm finally looking into upgrading it. I'm typing this from work right now, so I don't have my cpu specs on me, but since the new consoles are out, I figured it was time to upgrade my old machine. I'm currently working with an Intel I5 Quad core processor, a 750 watt power supply, and 4 GB of ram. By the end of the summer, I'm looking to expand that memory by another 4 gigs, or buy a solid state drive.

Anyway, I was looking at the 760 4gb and the R9 280. My friend has the 760 4gb and is willing to sell it too me for $225 (money he will use to upgrade his own rig), but from what I've read, the R9 is actually a bit better for a similar price. Which should I go for? Is the R9's performance enough to warrant extra money? And would either of those cards be able to carry me into next Gen well enough? or would I need to forgo the ram and SSD and maybe forward that money straight into a stronger GPU?

Thanks!
#2SinisterSlayPosted 6/11/2014 7:14:32 AM
If you don't plan to upgrade for a long time, I'd go for the 760 4gb.
nVidia supports their cards for a very long time. nVidia is still supporting the 8000 series cards.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3PhilOnDezPosted 6/11/2014 7:59:42 AM
While I wouldn't recommend the 4GB 760 new as it's a waste of $30-50 dollars over the 2GB models at that price it's fine. It and the 280 are pretty comparable, to the point where I'd recommend whichever is cheaper unless you don't have plans to upgrade for 5+ years in which case nvidia supports cards for much longer.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#4SinisterSlayPosted 6/11/2014 8:30:42 AM
Also TC, ignore anyone that tells you the low memory model is good enough when your looking for longevity.
Those people seem to think longevity means you upgrade every 2 years and that video card memory is only used for resolutions and storing 1 to 3 frame buffers. Ignoring that it's also used to store models and textures.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5PhilOnDezPosted 6/11/2014 8:36:36 AM
Don't listen to people who say the 4GB model is a good buy because there's a grand total of 0 games that benefit from more than 2 on a 192-256 bit bus. There are a handful of games that will use more than 2GB at 1080p but that doesn't mean they're actually benefitting from it as they're only using that extra memory to keep unused textures loaded.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
#6SinisterSlayPosted 6/11/2014 8:42:08 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
Don't listen to people who say the 4GB model is a good buy because there's a grand total of 0 games that benefit from more than 2 on a 192-256 bit bus. There are a handful of games that will use more than 2GB at 1080p but that doesn't mean they're actually benefitting from it as they're only using that extra memory to keep unused textures loaded.

Ignore people that think they have a crystal ball and can see 5 years into the future and predict the requirements of future games.
---
#7PhilOnDezPosted 6/11/2014 8:49:21 AM
I could say the same to you.
---
#8SinisterSlayPosted 6/11/2014 8:52:46 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
I could say the same to you.

I don't need a crystal ball to figure out that game requirements will increase every year.
Having a higher memory version of the card gives you a longer buffer time before you need to upgrade.
Also, it opens up the ability to SLI.
Also, it has better resale on the used market because other people want that version for SLI.
---
#9PhilOnDezPosted 6/11/2014 9:16:25 AM
I don't need a crystal ball to show that everything you just posted aside from 'requirements go up over time' is factually wrong, aside from maybe the higher memory cards holding value better due to uninformed people like yourself.
---
#10eddy1nsanePosted 6/11/2014 9:27:17 AM
The future is 4K for the PC games, so what is benchmark difference between gtx 760 2GB and GTX 760 4GB????
---
God created the world, everything else are made in China