This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is 91% Isopropyl good enough to take off dried up thermal paste?

#1bsballa09Posted 6/11/2014 12:34:04 PM
I know the higher the percentage, the better, but is 91% good enough?
---
Definition of Early Access - A game that is in alpha and will never be finished. Fanboys will use the excuse of it being in alpha to silence criticism of it.
#2hunter1235Posted 6/11/2014 12:35:39 PM
70% was good enough for me, I'm sure you're good
---
PC: GTX 760 ACX - i5 750 @ 3.8 - G.Skill 4GB DDR3 - Cavier Blue 500GB - CM Storm Scout - Intel DP55KG - Corsair CX600M- ASUS 23" 1920x1080
#3bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2014 12:36:57 PM
hunter1235 posted...
70% was good enough for me, I'm sure you're good

I saw there were 70% wipes, but I'm assuming the fabric would leave little pieces on the CPU, so it's not advised to use it.
---
Definition of Early Access - A game that is in alpha and will never be finished. Fanboys will use the excuse of it being in alpha to silence criticism of it.
#4WilIDearbornPosted 6/11/2014 12:37:42 PM
91% is good enough.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#5BilliePilgrimPosted 6/11/2014 12:45:05 PM(edited)
I use windex. The need for 91% isopropyl is up there with how people freak out about grounding. It's not necessary and if you use an ounce of sense you'll be fine.

ETA: I would add that I use windex and normal paper towels. Seriously, it's a heatsink on a consumer desktop CPU. A couple specks of lint won't change a thing. It never has for me. CPU maxes out at around 55C.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://i.imgur.com/9bAOZZq.jpg
#6drinkPosted 6/11/2014 12:51:50 PM
BilliePilgrim posted...
I use windex. The need for 91% isopropyl is up there with how people freak out about grounding. It's not necessary and if you use an ounce of sense you'll be fine.

ETA: I would add that I use windex and normal paper towels. Seriously, it's a heatsink on a consumer desktop CPU. A couple specks of lint won't change a thing. It never has for me. CPU maxes out at around 55C.

With a ounce of sense you would use water, urine, or even windex, but that doesn't make it a good idea.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#7SinisterSlayPosted 6/11/2014 12:52:58 PM(edited)
drink posted...
BilliePilgrim posted...

With a ounce of sense you would use water, urine, or even windex, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Urine would probably work fine.
Especially if you drink heavily before hand.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8MUD VIPERPosted 6/11/2014 12:53:06 PM
91% is good, use coffee filters instead of paper towel or cloth.
---
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you too can become a game tester.
#9BilliePilgrimPosted 6/11/2014 1:00:44 PM
drink posted...

Why? I see people parrot the idea that 91% and coffee filters are the only thing one should use, but nobody ever articulates a meaningful reason as to why. I've run the gamut with cleaning methods, from 91% isopropyl on kimwipes to windex on Bounty. Used the same method every time. Apply wet to cloth, rub dirty until clean. It hasn't damaged anything and hasn't made a single degree of difference. Honestly, what's the benefit because I haven't seen one.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://i.imgur.com/9bAOZZq.jpg
#10drinkPosted 6/11/2014 1:08:36 PM(edited)
BilliePilgrim posted...
drink posted...

Why? I see people parrot the idea that 91% and coffee filters are the only thing one should use, but nobody ever articulates a meaningful reason as to why. I've run the gamut with cleaning methods, from 91% isopropyl on kimwipes to windex on Bounty. Used the same method every time. Apply wet to cloth, rub dirty until clean. It hasn't damaged anything and hasn't made a single degree of difference. Honestly, what's the benefit because I haven't seen one.

Without looking up any info. Isopropyl is pure and has very little of other stuff in it. Windex leave a residue when you use it, so ideally you shouldn't use it on your CPU.

I'm guessing the idea of using coffee filters is due to not leaving and fibers.
Again, this is just me coming up with stuff off the top of my head. I could look up facts on why Isopropyl is better and why coffee filters are better.

I can also say this. when you clean your CPU, you don't want anything left on it. Just because you haven't seen a benefit doesn't mean there isn't one.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake