This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody here refuse to pay for unnecessary DLC ? POLL

#21_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 6/12/2014 2:11:49 AM
I do not buy DLC that seems like money-grabbing and that is clearly not worth it. Examples are aesthetic things like other outfits for characters and such (free to play games with stores are an exception).

But DLC is not always bad. There have been games where the DLC was better than the original game, adding a lot or improving on the core game and worth the price.

Example are the episodes from liberty city DLC in GTA4. This is clearly not some easy way to grab a little extra cash, but something built from the ground up with as much care as the core game. Another example is BF3 DLC. The new maps, game modes, vehicles, weapons were all not just trivial additions to the game, but added more variety and ways to play the game. The maps did not look or feel rehashed but were really different to what we had seen before.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | AKG k550 | Samsung S24A350H
#22MarceloSampaioPosted 6/12/2014 2:47:25 AM
So people that refuse to buy ANY DLC can't vote on this poll, huh?

/Leave
---
Difference between 30 and 60 FPS. If you can't notice it, you need new eyes.
http://30vs60fps.com/
#23reincarnator07Posted 6/12/2014 3:11:07 AM
Completely depends on the DLC in question. Something like XCOM Enemy Within or Civilization BNW is on par with expansion packs from back in the day and absolutely worth picking up. Something like Horse Armor I'd avoid like the plague.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#24urtvPosted 6/12/2014 3:25:12 AM
somebody336 posted...
I always wait for a GoTY edition.

this

or i dont buy any at all
#25DC07301981Posted 6/12/2014 3:33:11 AM
I usually wait until there is a "Complete" or GOTY edition before I buy, and even then I usually wait until it's on sale. Nearly every game coming out now has some DLC for it, so I just wait.

If I know a game is going to have expansion packs priced at like $30 each then for sure I won't buy it right away, I'll wait until the game is complete then buy everything all at once when it's on sale.

If the DLC is cheap, like less than $5, then sometimes I will buy it, but most of the time I just wait for a complete version of the game where I can download everything at once, even if it means waiting for years.
#26HappyHippo04Posted 6/12/2014 5:58:49 AM
I only buy super cheap DLC that add funny stuff IE Blood packs in Total War. Or I wait for the big DLC to go on sale like Brave New World.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#27Bossdog421Posted 6/12/2014 6:00:08 AM
I never DLC unless it is bundled into a sale.

Expansion packs are a different story though.
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#28crawdadPosted 6/12/2014 6:12:23 AM
No middle ground option for us moderates.

I buy any DLC I feel like I'll get enjoyment out of. Mostly if it's for a game I really like.

For example I bought the Mission mode and Skins for NGII because it turned out to be one of my most favourite games ever.

I wouldn't necessarily do that for even most games honestly.

But I generally try to quantify my purchase. before buying it as best I can. For example I know if I can get get at least 4 or 5 hours out of a purchase I'll be ok paying around 5 bucks for it. But if I get 4 or 5 hours of gameplay plus skins, characters and weapons which can be used elsewhere then I'm more inclined to spend a bit extra.
---
"it was a slow go" - gmo7897. I'm an expert at the Monster Mash.
GT: Gojirra | PSN: Gojirra102 | steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#29zxelmanPosted 6/12/2014 6:18:35 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
I feel all DLC is unnecessary.
Expansion packs didn't bother me, it was like getting a whole new game.
But (modern) DLC is just stuff that was stripped from the game before publishing so they could charge you more afterwards. Sometimes the DLC is actually on the disc and just locked.
To me, DLC doesn't add value to a game, it reduces the value.
I don't see $60 game + $20 DLC = $80 value.
I see $60 game - $20 worth of content = $40 value.

With that last statement's logic, if DLC went over the amount of the price of the game, you'd get a negative value, not that it actually happens much if at all. But you could get $40 worth of DLC and make it sound like the game is only worth 20 dollars when in fact it's all just dumb aesthetics and the full game is just fine as it is.

I agreed with you until that statement was made.
#30Chaos_MissilePosted 6/12/2014 6:27:33 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
I feel all DLC is unnecessary.
Expansion packs didn't bother me, it was like getting a whole new game.
But (modern) DLC is just stuff that was stripped from the game before publishing so they could charge you more afterwards. Sometimes the DLC is actually on the disc and just locked.
To me, DLC doesn't add value to a game, it reduces the value.
I don't see $60 game + $20 DLC = $80 value.
I see $60 game - $20 worth of content = $40 value.

Pretty much this.

Expansion Packs tend to come out at least a year AFTER the base game has been released, so you KNOW that that part was coded after going gold.

DLCs, on the other hand, tend to come out within the first month of going gold from what I've seen.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008