This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I found this post made by Curt Schilling

#21Hi CPosted 6/12/2014 1:31:01 AM
The difference between Amalur and Vanguard was Shilling defrauded the f***ing government by intentionally releasing a unfinished terrible game to put money in his pocket.

Vanguard was released unfinished because it was a bandwagon Microsoft project and treated it like a single player console game and not an MMO and didn't want to pay for it's completion so they dropped it to concentrate on 360 and the console space when they got popular.

Vanguard was forced to go back to Sony for funding and after it was released Sony never did anything to help promote or develop it further because it was a direct competitor to Everquest 2.
#22Sir_Burpalot21Posted 6/12/2014 1:39:27 AM
For the uninformed
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/07/38-studios-end-game/
---
"Jack Tretton, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America, says he is pleased to see so many unsold PS3s sitting on shelves." -IGN
#23Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 6/12/2014 2:00:54 AM(edited)
Hi C posted...
Vanguard was forced to go back to Sony for funding and after it was released Sony never did anything to help promote or develop it further because it was a direct competitor to Everquest 2.

The updates it did get were outright insulting to the users. Instead of optimization increases, endgame content, and balance issues, they unironically gave us stuff like slappy the cool.

A lot of that wasn't purely sony, it was just members of the vanguard dev team being hideously out of touch. I remember Silius constantly defending their design choices on focusing on content no one asked for or wanted, users throwing fits, and the dev team just being really smug about it.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#24Hi CPosted 6/12/2014 2:07:37 AM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Hi C posted...

The updates it did get were outright insulting to the users. Instead of optimization increases, endgame content, and balance issues, they unironically gave us stuff like slappy the cool.

A lot of that wasn't purely sony, it was members of the vanguard dev team being hideously out of touch, as I remember Sillius constantly defending their design choices.

There ceased to be a "vanguard team" when Brad left. Sigil has been gone a LONG time.

Sillius IS SOE. Everyone who worked on that after Brad left was.
#25Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 6/12/2014 2:47:04 AM(edited)
Sillius was one of the classic Sigil crew, and he's currently on Brad's new MMO team working on pantheon (well, maybe not. There was drama after Brad apparently ninja looted the KS funds, according to Silius and the other devs. It's been pretty interesting to watch unfold). He was responsible for a lot of the poor design choices in the way of content that people were complaining about way back when VG was in beta, and this continued onwards towards island of dawn and beyond. Prior to joining Sigil, he was responsible for EQ: GoD, which was a whole 'nother disaster in and of itself.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#26Born LuckyPosted 6/12/2014 4:55:35 AM(edited)
vashtricham posted...
JKatarn posted...
Having played Kingdoms of Amalur, yes, it has flaws, but I think it was grossly underrated by the press - the combat/blending of playstyles are great and the environments and most voice acting are quite well done.

And it is crippled by being pathetically easy with repetitive combat and a boring story.

Name any 5 RPGs that you feel have a better story, and better combat.

Go ahead.

We're waiting
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#27mccue166Posted 6/12/2014 5:13:27 AM
The soundtrack to Amalur is one of the best I've heard. The music fits everything perfectly.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zWg66h
#28vashtrichamPosted 6/12/2014 7:59:58 AM
Born Lucky posted...
vashtricham posted...
JKatarn posted...
Having played Kingdoms of Amalur, yes, it has flaws, but I think it was grossly underrated by the press - the combat/blending of playstyles are great and the environments and most voice acting are quite well done.

And it is crippled by being pathetically easy with repetitive combat and a boring story.

Name any 5 RPGs that you feel have a better story, and better combat.

Go ahead.

We're waiting

All of the recent tales series have better combat especially Graces and Xillia 2 but I am guessing you are going to dismiss that since they are JRPGs. FFx2 has a better battle system, Grandia 1,2,3 have better battle systems. Suikoden has a better story, Chrono Trigger, Valk Profile, Tactics Orgre Let us, Xillia 2, FFX, FF tactics, World Ends with you, Lunar Silver story, all also has a better story. I could keep going and going.
---
Marvel heroes: Cap and Gambit
#29OrgeLambartPosted 6/12/2014 9:04:15 AM
Kingdoms of Amalur is a pretty good game all things considered, it wasn't rushed at all, the DLC on the other hand, especially the one with the Giants was a cash cow.
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart, PSN - Orgelambart
#30Orestes417Posted 6/12/2014 9:32:17 AM
KoA would've done fine by standards had they not had the giant money pit of the MMO project tied to it's success.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.