This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stupid Question Time, would Adding an old Graphics card help a cheap PC at all?

#1NeilJWDPosted 6/11/2014 8:36:29 PM
http://s30.postimg.org/5oyvlpjoh/Balanced.jpg

That's a component list I built into a PC for my elderly neighbour, who just uses it for email, a little internet, and hopefully from now on, a bit of BBC iPlayer etc.

I have an old PCIe x 16 ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB (released october 2006) lying around.
Would adding this help the PC in anyway, or would it just put extra strain on the PSU, with out really helping much of anything the PC will be used for?
---
ARGH! Someone gave me some goggles and a spork,
I don't know what the goggles do but I'm gouging my eyes out with the spork!
~Dudeboy
#2Jeffw88Posted 6/11/2014 8:55:22 PM
I would just leave the x1950 out.
---
Just because you think it is right, it doesn't make it right for everyone. Even you.
You're being trolled only if you let them.
#3wizardmonPosted 6/11/2014 8:57:31 PM
Yeah, just use the APU. No need to put in a noisy old power hungry ATi card.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#4Lonestar2000Posted 6/11/2014 11:47:31 PM(edited)
I would be more worried about that PSU blowing up and the lack of RAM.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#5ShubPosted 6/12/2014 4:52:39 AM
Please, please swap the PSU for something decent.
He may be an elderly neighbor who only uses the computer for email and Internet, but he'll still be an angry and somewhat bewildered elderly neighbor if his computer mysteriously stops working.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GP5Y6J0/ is the absolute cheapest power supply I could find on Amazon UK that's not a piece of junk. Yes, the wattage is completely unnecessary, but like I said, it's the cheapest I could find for you.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009RMP14M is only a few pennies more expensive if you can't wait for the other one to be back in stock.
If the extra money spent on the PSU bothers you, you could get a cheaper CPU like an A4 or A6.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6maybecallsPosted 6/12/2014 5:51:17 AM
That X1950 is about on a par with the integrated GPU already in use, but it will use a lot of power and probably be noisy. It also only has 256MB of VRAM.

I would forget about using the X1950 and either leave the PC as it is, or ask him if he wants to buy a 750Ti for gaming.
#7SinisterSlayPosted 6/12/2014 5:52:49 AM
I'd leave it out, don't strain that power supply.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8sefsefsefsefPosted 6/12/2014 6:10:06 AM
Why not a store bought computer for an elderly neighbor? Something with a warranty?
#9ShubPosted 6/12/2014 6:16:22 AM
That's also a good idea.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#10maybecallsPosted 6/12/2014 6:32:07 AM
sefsefsefsef posted...
Why not a store bought computer for an elderly neighbor? Something with a warranty?

The SSD, maybe? Not many budget PCs include one of those.

I would go with 4GB of RAM, rather than 2. Even for just 'normal usage'.