This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help analyzing mods for Baldur's Gate series (Since Non-stop gaming can't)

#1KaliestoPosted 6/12/2014 9:16:21 AM(edited)
I originally asked another board non-stop gaming, but it seems they don't know what I'm talking, and this board is the only alternative I can get a opinion from:

Almateria's Restoration Project-Version 6 (I HIGHLY recommend this one)
Baldur's Gate-Ascension
Baldur's Gate 1 NPC/Music project
Baldur's Gate 1 unfinished Business
Baldur's Gate 2 unfinished Business Version 24
Baldur's Gate 1 Quest Pack
Baldur's Gate Dark Horizons
Baldur's Gate Drizzt Saga
Baldur's Gate: Darkside Side of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate: Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (Along with the patch)
G3-Anniversy (the website's own quest that they made)
IEP-Banters
Baldur's Gate Region of Terror
Shards of Ice
Sirine's Call
Slandor (I forget what this was, have to look it up again)
Snakes (basically a funny encounter that involves the spawning of snakes in the abyss)
Baldur's Gate II - Tales of Anegh
Baldur's Gate- Wheels of Prophecy
Zalnoya and the Shadow Thieves
BanterPack V14
Baldur's Gate 2 Fixpack
The Sellswords

I'm using the original BG collection, not BG-EE collection. (In case anyone was wondering).

Is there any other mods I should add to this list by recommendation, and do you see a mod that could potentially ruin my game because of unforeseen circumstances. (Since modders are human after all).
---
It's not stupidity, it's something much worse. It's... the GameSpot comment section!-Stebsis
#2chandl34Posted 6/12/2014 9:22:30 AM(edited)
If you've never played the game before, just use the Fixpack. If you have, add in Ascension. Install EasyTutu for BG1, so it runs on the BG2 engine.

If you want more of a challenge, add in Sword Coast Strategems 2. A warning though, I played through a recent version of SCS2 (after EE was released) on the original BG2, and it caused game-breaking bugs. If possible, get an SCS2 from before EE was released. Same goes for Ascension.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#3Kaliesto(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 9:33:17 AM(edited)
Yeah I've played the whole series, but it will be the first time with mods. I CAREFULLY analyzed the mods myself to make sure which ones were quality, and which ones were pretty bad. Given Darkside and northern tales are not exactly quality, but they meet half-way. Also the fact Darkside was one of the very first major mods to be out back in the day.

and yeah I heard alot of good things about Ascension, and it's origins. That is going to be fun when I get to the very end once more.
---
It's not stupidity, it's something much worse. It's... the GameSpot comment section!-Stebsis
#4chandl34Posted 6/12/2014 9:52:51 AM(edited)
I also use some of the minor features from the Tweak Packs.

I tried the Unfinished Business 2 a few years ago, but I don't use it anymore. I remember some of the quests being broken. If I remember correctly, the "Minsc loses Boo" quest was broken, so that you're stuck with a permanently gimped Minsc.

I also used to use Oversight for "Tougher Sendai", but SCS2 now covers that.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#5jake-sfPosted 6/12/2014 9:51:21 AM(edited)
Mostly the unfinished business stuff is just not fun at all (in both cases, really) and at best adds tedious. You can hand pick the bad quests out but I don't remember off the top of my head.

This is a lot more mods than I ever use. I'd be scared of random conflicts but its really hard to tell.

I personally always preferred the game to stay true to BG in SCS style, with Ascension as the only real content added to the game. The BG modders unfortunately seem to have a common quality problem, or maybe its just that its so blatant when they are next to the high-quality of BG.

But I'm not trying to discourage you from trying the various small content mods.

I do also use another mod to clear the Fog of War automatically on all maps. Must have if you know the game by now. (https://www.mediafire.com/?bvt0ugihrvpzuzz)

I really have no suggestion for content mods, though.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#6EH_AceTFLPosted 6/12/2014 2:47:07 PM
Kaliesto posted...

oh my gosh thank you
(i google my mods name sometimes, im vain as heck)
#7Kaliesto(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2014 4:20:22 AM
EH_AceTFL posted...
Kaliesto posted...

oh my gosh thank you
(i google my mods name sometimes, im vain as heck)

Oh you're that lady from the Spellhold studios who made the mod? I didn't think I run into you in here. Yeah I'm really surprised about how you managed to find all that content buried in the games, nobody knew about those for years. The fact you actually managed to get the Elemental Plane of Earth to work as intended is a big plus.
---
#8Kaliesto(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2014 4:22:51 AM
chandl34 posted...
I also use some of the minor features from the Tweak Packs.

I tried the Unfinished Business 2 a few years ago, but I don't use it anymore. I remember some of the quests being broken. If I remember correctly, the "Minsc loses Boo" quest was broken, so that you're stuck with a permanently gimped Minsc.

I also used to use Oversight for "Tougher Sendai", but SCS2 now covers that.

Thanks for the heads up, l'll disable that minsc quest. (l'll check to see if they actually updated that)
---
#9Kaliesto(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2014 4:32:14 AM(edited)
Update: The Minsc loses boo quest actually can be completed. Sometimes you might have to force-talk Minsc in order to proceed to the next part of the quest.
---
#10Kaliesto(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2014 4:58:25 AM
Just a quick note-

The maker of Unfinished Business Baldur's Gate 2 is going to resolve some issues that have been reported for V25, looks like he is currently active as of recent.
---