This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MOBAs

#21Worknofun370Posted 6/12/2014 1:10:21 PM
yars posted...
i honestly don't know how a person could be at all familiar with both genres and not see that the rts genre has a much higher skill cap than mobas.

Because most of the people I personally know (and professionals who have played both) say that MOBAs are as hard as SC2?

Your argument wasn't that strong either, just shows that you need to Multitask more in SC2 (which is obvious and I agree). And then completely ignored any type of teamwork in a MOBA.

As I said though, I'm not super familiar with MOBAs, I don't play them competitively, and have only played a handful of matches against the AI and Online. So the difficulty needed to master that game I can only base off of what other people who I know have "mastered" the game (a.k.a. are pretty good at it) tell me.

The argument you put forth just didn't convince me. Doesn't make you wrong at all though, you easily could be right.
#22KillerTrufflePosted 6/12/2014 1:11:59 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Didn't say it was (your post wasn't up when I was typing mine).

Saying "This is often true" when the claim was "MOBAs are less forgiving [then an RTS]" is kinda saying that. :)

I suppose so. I hadn't paid that "less forgiving" bit a lot of attention. I was responding to the "one screwup and you're dead" comment. Sorry it wasn't clear. :P
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#23VeryDarkSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 1:12:51 PM
yars posted...
mobas are also not less forgiving than an rts. in starcraft 2 you can lose the game in ten minutes if you make a single build error and aren't effectively prepared for the rush.

if in dota 2 you make an error and give the other team first blood in the first 10 minutes, the game is hardly over.

Well the starcraft series is very unforgiving. I prefer RTS games like Age of Empires 2/3, Rise of Nations, etc. RTS has actually been quite stale in recent years, which makes me think MOBAs are killing it, because people don't have the patience to play a full-fledged RTS.
---
Ron Paul 2012
#24KillerTrufflePosted 6/12/2014 1:14:05 PM
yars posted...
mobas are also not less forgiving than an rts. in starcraft 2 you can lose the game in ten minutes if you make a single build error and aren't effectively prepared for the rush.

if in dota 2 you make an error and give the other team first blood in the first 10 minutes, the game is hardly over.

No, MOBA games are rarely finished in 10 minutes, but they sometimes may as well be. If the other team ends up with a bit of a lead over yours in terms of level or gold, they can almost always work that to their advantage to further increase their lead, having a snowball effect that is next to impossible to stop once it's started.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#25Worknofun370Posted 6/12/2014 1:15:19 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I suppose so. I hadn't paid that "less forgiving" bit a lot of attention. I was responding to the "one screwup and you're dead" comment. Sorry it wasn't clear. :P

No worries mate. :)
#26yarsPosted 6/12/2014 1:18:25 PM
Because most of the people I personally know (and professionals who have played both) say that MOBAs are as hard as SC2?

i think most people you know are idiots. since simple observation should draw you to the same conclusion i've presented.

Your argument wasn't that strong either, just shows that you need to Multitask more in SC2 (which is obvious and I agree). And then completely ignored any type of teamwork in a MOBA.

your argument is now that doing many tasks by yourself is no more difficult than spreading those same tasks amongst a team? because that's stupid.

As I said though, I'm not super familiar with MOBAs, I don't play them competitively, and have only played a handful of matches against the AI and Online. So the difficulty needed to master that game I can only base off of what other people who I know have "mastered" the game (a.k.a. are pretty good at it) tell me.

you're getting a skewed view by listening to people who spend a lot of time playing mobas. of course they claim it takes a lot of skill. it's the same way people who play diablo claim that that game takes skill, even though it clearly is just a numbers game. people want their particular hobby validated. if they can convince others that their game of choice is a game of skill, and that they are skilled at that game, then they appear skilled in the eyes of others.

The argument you put forth just didn't convince me. Doesn't make you wrong at all though, you easily could be right.

i'm obviously right. your reasoning for disagreeing doesn't make any sense.
---
My whole life has been a miserable pig filled ordeal because of you.
#27yarsPosted 6/12/2014 1:20:14 PM
No, MOBA games are rarely finished in 10 minutes, but they sometimes may as well be. If the other team ends up with a bit of a lead over yours in terms of level or gold, they can almost always work that to their advantage to further increase their lead, having a snowball effect that is next to impossible to stop once it's started.

the difference being, in starcraft 2, you can lose a game in the first 10 minutes due to a single mistake. no one mistake will cost you the game in dota 2. if your game is over in 10 minutes, your team has made a series of f*** ups in that time.
---
My whole life has been a miserable pig filled ordeal because of you.
#28r0ge00Posted 6/12/2014 1:20:59 PM
You can cheese to Diamond in SC2, it obviously takes no skill to play that game.

/s
#29Worknofun370Posted 6/12/2014 1:22:49 PM(edited)
yars posted...
you're getting a skewed view by listening to people who spend a lot of time playing mobas.

So I should listen to someone who spends a lot of time playing RTS to tell me the skill level needed to play a MOBA?

your argument is now that doing many tasks by yourself is no more difficult than spreading those same tasks amongst a team? because that's stupid.

No, my point (not argument, i'm not arguing with you.) was they are different skill sets.

yars posted...
i'm obviously right. your reasoning for disagreeing doesn't make any sense.

"Your argument is not convincing" doesn't make any sense to you?

To make the claims you're making you need to be a high level MOBA and RTS player. Are you a high level MOBA player? Do you even play MOBAs?
#30KURRUPTORPosted 6/12/2014 1:23:20 PM
The biggest downside of moba's is that you have to rely on 4 other players in order to win. I still play MOBA's but that is a pretty big downside compared to RTS games where if I lose at least I know it was because my opponent played better; rather than wondering if it was mainly because of that one team mate that had 0 kills and like 13 deaths.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.