This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

lol @ Steam-Box

#21-SocksF0rWoks-Posted 6/12/2014 6:47:09 PM
That won't be competing with next gen at all.

For older games or as a media center, it should be fine.
#22PhilOnDezPosted 6/12/2014 7:23:03 PM
-SocksF0rWoks- posted...

Eh, a pentium and 750ti will run games better than the Xbone, currently at least. As long as it ships with at least a 750ti-esque GPU it should be fine. A Haswell i3 is wayyyy faster than what's in the new consoles. I'm gonna do some oversimplified math that I'm sure will piss a lot of people off (myself included) since reality doesn't work this way but here goes:

6300=6 threads, 4ghz turbo
Console Junk=6 threads (for games), 1.6ghz on a less efficient architecture than the 6300 which itself is already a slow architecture, roughly equivalent to an 6300 clocked at 1ghz. The 6300 pretty plainly stomps the console CPUs with nearly 4x the power (since it won't be boosted 100% of the time).

When running 6 perfectly balanced threads, a Haswell i3 is about 90% as fast as a 6300. When running four or less, or horribly balanced loads, it's actually a fair bit faster, about 50% faster on a single thread, meaning in the worst case scenario it's still close to 4x as powerful as the new consoles' CPUs.

There's going to be a bit more CPU overhead on DX11 games but nvidia has excellent CPU utilization with their DX11 drivers which is what they've paired it with and any DX9 game will run fine on it aside from maybe SC2. DX12 will only close that gap further.

On the GPU side it's still roughly equivalent to what's in the PS4 and there really isn't anything out yet that the 750ti can't run at 1080/30FPS which is more than can be said of the new consoles.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#23Treason686Posted 6/12/2014 10:46:33 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
/JTRtopic aside, i found this interesting:

"We've got 3,000 titles that are going to be instantly available to you. The Steam library that you might already have, that'll be instantly available to you."

seems pretty hyperbolic unless they're including windows for free.

Quote:
"The Alienware Alpha ships with Windows 8.1 and comes with an Xbox 360 controller."

I feel like you missed something.
---
I <3 segfault
#24Treason686Posted 6/12/2014 10:49:41 PM
I really like this form factor. Here's a better picture:
http://weekly.ascii.jp/elem/000/000/229/229253/140612nonoue_501_cs1e1_480x.jpg

I won't be picking it up since I have no need, but that's a really compact PC. I'm really curious to see what this custom GPU is. The i3 and 4GB of RAM is good enough for any game out. If they actually stick to the $550 price, this may actually be a good buy.
---
I <3 segfault
#25Blobs_Posted 6/12/2014 10:53:41 PM
Yes children, let's all laugh at Alienware's feeble attempt to be relevant.
---
is haha
#26good_mangorushPosted 6/12/2014 11:57:58 PM
I'm interested how will Alienware's marketing division promote this product, $550 price tag is a bit steep compared $400 PS4/XB1.
---
I am proud to be weeaboo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKheh_T0ho
#27Tommy2GoGoPosted 6/13/2014 3:17:43 AM
I tried it at E3. Not greatest way to make me interested.

I am not sure what game I was playing. But I started in water and I was swimming, obviously. The frame rate was SO terrible.
After I got to land and tried to move, the game would instantly drop me back into the water to have me swim back to land.

It happened for a while. I decide to restart the game and as soon as I did that, the whole machine crashes. "ERROR NUMBERS GO HERE"

I walk up to a guy working there that is suppose to be working on the booth and tell him what had just happened. His response? "Let me find the guy that actually knows how to fix this to have him fix this. Thanks, man."
#28ClouddxPosted 6/13/2014 4:26:38 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
-SocksF0rWoks- posted...

Eh, a pentium and 750ti will run games better than the Xbone, currently at least. As long as it ships with at least a 750ti-esque GPU it should be fine. A Haswell i3 is wayyyy faster than what's in the new consoles.

On the GPU side it's still roughly equivalent to what's in the PS4 and there really isn't anything out yet that the 750ti can't run at 1080/30FPS which is more than can be said of the new consoles.

This 1000x
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#29SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 4:37:43 AM
It's going to be a laptop gpu. Just look at how small that thing is. There is no room for cooling.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#30PhilOnDezPosted 6/13/2014 6:56:10 AM
Gigabyte has a system smaller than that with a desktop 760. They could easily fit a maxwell card that powerful into this system, or even a lot more powerful, without heat being an issue. Will they do this at the price point they're pushing? Hell no, but they definitely aren't limited to laptop parts.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez