This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So how do you feel about the steam box?

#21ATARIJAWAPosted 6/12/2014 2:29:15 PM
It hasn't been called a Steam Box for over a year. They are called Steam Machines. Also, there are 14 or 15 different companies making them with price ranges of $500.00 to however much you want to spend. I've seen $6,000 Steam Machines. Don't judge them all on just Alienware's version.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 117
#22kingoffpsPosted 6/13/2014 1:41:48 AM
ThePaleRiderp posted...
kingoffps posted...
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
ThePaleRiderp posted...
One thing I don't understand is the need for hooking up to your tv. Just get a long HDMI and you're all good. Why spend $550 for that?

Try and post that on the 360 board and you'll get an answer.

This is true stuff. PC GPUs having HDMI-out is still at the point of rumour to many console gamers.

Or TVs having VGA-in.

The hell? My old 32 flat screen tv lets me hook up my computer to it and I got it about 5+ years ago if I'm not mistaken. All tv's now allow for people to hook their computers up to it. People seriously believe that they don't?

Believe it. Check the Comments section every now and then whenever Gamespot post stuff about PC. It typically degenerates to an argument and there's always at least one person saying something to the effect of "well some of us like to game from a comfy couch on our TVs...just saying." This is often a grown man too.

Hell, I remember a recent daily poll of this very site asking something like "what is your opinion on PC gaming?" and one of the options being (again, something to the effect of), "I don't like it. Monitors are for work, TVs are for gaming". This suggests that people who run a gaming website don't even have knowledge of PCs which is less than 6-8 years out of date.

Someone here once said that the biggest problem with PC gaming is ignorance. True dat.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#23MaxCHEATER64Posted 6/13/2014 1:57:56 AM
kingoffps posted...
Hell, I remember a recent daily poll of this very site asking something like "what is your opinion on PC gaming?" and one of the options being (again, something to the effect of), "I don't like it. Monitors are for work, TVs are for gaming". This suggests that people who run a gaming website don't even have knowledge of PCs which is less than 6-8 years out of date.

GG to that. This website was always about Sony consoles and JRPGs, just look at the top 100 GOAT poll, most of them are sony/ninty exclusives and/or JRPGs.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, I mean to each their own right? But it's definitely a thing.

---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#24PhilOnDezPosted 6/13/2014 5:16:10 AM(edited)
Boge posted...
I like the idea of a PC in a small case with an easy to use menu. However, the performance to price is not good. I will never own one.

Providing they don't skimp on the GPU since it isn't specified yet outside of 'custom maxwell' this machine is really solid for the price. As long as it's roughly equivalent to the 750ti I see it playing console ports at native 1080 if only at 30 fps on low for years to come. A 750ti would be roughly equivalent to the PS4 while the cheapest haswell i3 is about 4x as fast as the CPUs in the new consoles. There will be more CPU overhead sure but a haswell i3 will handle any DX9 game fine and nvidia's DX11 drivers have fantastic CPU utilization and DX12 will only close that gap further. UE4 games will also have an advantage on this system as far as CPU utilization goes since physx won't have to run on the cpu.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/84gQf7

Everything was pretty much the cheapest option and even after rebates the alienware is still cheaper. Before rebates it's over $100 cheaper. The alienware also looks to be smaller than anything you're able to build yourself unless you count assembling a NUC/Brix to be building a PC and I didn't go mITX or anything to even try and compete with that aspect. which would have added another $100 easily, if not more, for a compact, well made ITX case that supports full height/power GPUs and the accompanying mobo.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#25SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 5:20:17 AM
ThePaleRiderp posted...
kingoffps posted...
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
ThePaleRiderp posted...
One thing I don't understand is the need for hooking up to your tv. Just get a long HDMI and you're all good. Why spend $550 for that?

Try and post that on the 360 board and you'll get an answer.

This is true stuff. PC GPUs having HDMI-out is still at the point of rumour to many console gamers.

Or TVs having VGA-in.

The hell? My old 32 flat screen tv lets me hook up my computer to it and I got it about 5+ years ago if I'm not mistaken. All tv's now allow for people to hook their computers up to it. People seriously believe that they don't?

My old ATI Rage 1 from 1997 could output to a tv through a yellow rca cable.
Console gamers are extremely ignorant, that's all there is to it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#26SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 5:25:46 AM(edited)
WyzeGye posted...

I thought it was dumb too until I realised it's because Valve is dragging their heels on reskinning Debian.

It needs more than a reskin.

Just check out how you update your video drivers on Linux, no .deb package.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/331.79/README/installdriver.html

The very first paragraph makes me think I am in 1990 having to deal with CLIs.

Before you begin the installation, exit the X server and terminate all OpenGL applications (note that it is possible that some OpenGL applications persist even after the X server has stopped). You should also set the default run level on your system such that it will boot to a VGA console, and not directly to X.

So... Linux still hasn't even reached Windows 95 which could swap drivers while the system was running.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#27Orestes417Posted 6/13/2014 5:32:46 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
WyzeGye posted...

I thought it was dumb too until I realised it's because Valve is dragging their heels on reskinning Debian.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/331.79/README/installdriver.html

Before you begin the installation, exit the X server and terminate all OpenGL applications (note that it is possible that some OpenGL applications persist even after the X server has stopped). You should also set the default run level on your system such that it will boot to a VGA console, and not directly to X.

So... Linux still hasn't even reached Windows 95 which could swap drivers while the system was running.

Good thing pretty much no major distros actually require you to use the generic method of installing then. That's what package repositories are for. Where Windows users have tremendous brain damage is they assume it's Windows and search for some external download site to pull from without checking the OS first, ironically like it was 1995.

Oh and as far as the CLI goes, if you think simple commands are hard and going to bite you... well lets just say I hope you never have to do any real admin work on Windows either, because even MS has finally gotten the memo about scriptable text interfaces being vastly superior to GUIs.

That said, if the user isn't willing to put in the effort to learn, **** em. Got no time to handhold people who don't want to be there in the first place.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#28SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 5:44:59 AM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
WyzeGye posted...

Good thing pretty much no major distros actually require you to use the generic method of installing then. That's what package repositories are for. Where Windows users have tremendous brain damage is they assume it's Windows and search for some external download site to pull from without checking the OS first, ironically like it was 1995.

Oh and as far as the CLI goes, if you think simple commands are hard and going to bite you... well lets just say I hope you never have to do any real admin work on Windows either, because even MS has finally gotten the memo about scriptable text interfaces being vastly superior to GUIs.

That said, if the user isn't willing to put in the effort to learn, **** em. Got no time to handhold people who don't want to be there in the first place.

I have no trouble with CLI, I do real admin work in both systems and know how to program in several operating systems CLIs.
And as a programmer, I am completely aware of the ineptitude of users. My entire job is to make computers easier for people that don't care to learn.
Why would a console player, the market the steam box is targeting, want to learn CLI just to update their video drivers. That's so amazingly elitest that I want to, as a geek, grab you by your underwear and attach it to a flag pole and string you up by them.

But you go check the Ubuntu repo, the latest drivers aren't there. The latest drivers only get updated when you install the latest version of Ubuntu. It's complete and utter crap for a gaming system.
---
#29Orestes417Posted 6/13/2014 5:56:32 AM
Pretty sure there's a Nvidia PPA for people who think they need the latest drivers at all times in Ubuntu.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#30SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 5:57:17 AM
Orestes417 posted...
Pretty sure there's a Nvidia PPA for people who think they need the latest drivers at all times in Ubuntu.

Got links on how to add it?
My Mint install is stuck at 310. I tried aiming the repo at the latest version of Mint but it didn't work.
---