This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So how do you feel about the steam box?

#31Orestes417Posted 6/13/2014 7:04:12 AM
I don't run Ubuntu or Mint for that matter, so if this eats your hamster it's on your own head. http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#32SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 7:28:41 AM
Orestes417 posted...
I don't run Ubuntu or Mint for that matter, so if this eats your hamster it's on your own head. http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/

Thanks.
I'm fine if it does break the system. Without this I was going to reinstall the latest anyways.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#33ThePaleRiderp(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2014 7:29:18 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
ThePaleRiderp posted...
kingoffps posted...
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
ThePaleRiderp posted...
One thing I don't understand is the need for hooking up to your tv. Just get a long HDMI and you're all good. Why spend $550 for that?

Try and post that on the 360 board and you'll get an answer.

This is true stuff. PC GPUs having HDMI-out is still at the point of rumour to many console gamers.

Or TVs having VGA-in.

The hell? My old 32 flat screen tv lets me hook up my computer to it and I got it about 5+ years ago if I'm not mistaken. All tv's now allow for people to hook their computers up to it. People seriously believe that they don't?

My old ATI Rage 1 from 1997 could output to a tv through a yellow rca cable.
Console gamers are extremely ignorant, that's all there is to it.

Well I'm primarily console but I've been getting into PC more and more and I'm loving it. That being said the idea that computers don't hook up to TV's is just completely stupid. There are plenty of people who don't even play video games that use their computers on their TV's. It's 2014 that has been a basic function for how many years now?
---
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
#34SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 7:31:52 AM
ThePaleRiderp posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Well I'm primarily console but I've been getting into PC more and more and I'm loving it. That being said the idea that computers don't hook up to TV's is just completely stupid. There are plenty of people who don't even play video games that use their computers on their TV's. It's 2014 that has been a basic function for how many years now?

It's been a basic function since the very beginning. Seriously, the very first personal computers (that resemble modern day computers, not those boxes with a front plate full of switches style of computers) used TV's, not monitors.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#35ThePaleRiderp(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2014 7:56:50 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
ThePaleRiderp posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

It's been a basic function since the very beginning. Seriously, the very first personal computers (that resemble modern day computers, not those boxes with a front plate full of switches style of computers) used TV's, not monitors.

The more you know. Lol
---
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
#36AsucaHayashiPosted 6/13/2014 1:46:46 PM
that's pretty good if it comes with W8 included in the price.

it'll probably face some decent competition with such an offer... say something like much better specs for the same price without windows.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#37pwnater777Posted 6/13/2014 1:48:05 PM
It's ambitious, but the fact that it's not a dedicated console, but it's not a full-on PC, definitely makes me think that the in-between deal it's got going on won't sell nearly as much as one side or another would.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#38Lonestar2000Posted 6/13/2014 1:57:22 PM
The only 4GBs of RAM and unupgradeable GPU makes it a joke.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#39Lemur_HPosted 6/13/2014 2:18:02 PM
Lonestar2000 posted...
The only 4GBs of RAM and unupgradeable GPU makes it a joke.

The RAM is upgradeable and there is an 8GB model.

If the graphics card could be replaced, the device would be gigantic.

If it used laptop GPUs, the upgrades would be proprietary and stupidly expensive.

You can't have everything.
#40Arya1Posted 6/13/2014 3:51:53 PM
I3 run fine with current games. Unlike loud minority console fanboys, most console gamers don't really care with resolution and fps. I think this "console" have potential.