This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want to buy The Sims 3 + expansions, but not sure where to buy from...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I want to buy The Sims 3 + expansions, but not sure where to buy from...

User Info: G-Ziss

G-Ziss
2 years ago#1
I am mainly a console gamer, but I'd like to get The Sims 3 on PC. Origin is currently having a sale on the game + expansions. But I see they are also available on Steam, or I could buy them on disc as well.

Should I just get the ones from Origin or is there a benefit to buying them from Steam or on disc?

User Info: shmirlywhirl

shmirlywhirl
2 years ago#2
Origin and steam are no different. Just picking your poison. I doubt you can find the disks as cheap as you can find the digital version though.

I went with origin. They usually have good sales on the Sims 3.
Now with 100% real fruit juice

G-Ziss
2 years ago#3
Also, I'd like to get an idea of how well my PC will handle the game + all the expansions and stuff packs. Based on these specs, can someone tell me if I would have any trouble, like lag, crashing, etc?

Windows 7
Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3.40 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Basically, I want to avoid buying too many expansions and stuff packs if my PC can't handle them all.

User Info: Maximoom

Maximoom
2 years ago#4
Unless you are running out of HDD space, I dont see how expansions quantity would affect performance.
Asus P8H61-MLE/BR | i5 3470 3.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 1TB HDD | C3TEC 500Rve 500W Bronze | Samsung 32" LCD 1080p.

G-Ziss
2 years ago#5
I'm sure you're right, I don't game on PC much so I don't know much about it. I ask because on the Sims 3 board, there are topics from people who say their game lags and/or that the load times are really slow.

Maximoom
2 years ago#6
Loading times varies from game to game, it can be improved by faster HDD/SSD or more/faster Ram.

These people with issues on loadings, are more likelly running out of Ram, and windows is using theirs HDD as virtual memory (which is considerably slower).
Asus P8H61-MLE/BR | i5 3470 3.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 1TB HDD | C3TEC 500Rve 500W Bronze | Samsung 32" LCD 1080p.

User Info: happyscrub1

happyscrub1
2 years ago#7
Always Origin for current EA games (unless is a site selling codes for Origin). EA gives incentives for buying EA games from Origin and making it harder and more difficult for their games on other sites.
Combo breaker!!!!!!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/110210424@N05/14385270766/

G-Ziss
2 years ago#8
Maximoom posted...
Loading times varies from game to game, it can be improved by faster HDD/SSD or more/faster Ram.

How do I find out how fast my HDD is? And is 16GB ram good enough?

User Info: happyscrub1

happyscrub1
2 years ago#9
Sims 3 is not about hard drive. It's about Ram and Processor. Don't even waste your time on a conversation about hard drives
Combo breaker!!!!!!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/110210424@N05/14385270766/

Maximoom
2 years ago#10
G-Ziss posted...
Maximoom posted...

How do I find out how fast my HDD is? And is 16GB ram good enough?

Your pc seems to be quite new. I doubt you will have any trouble to play Sims 3.
Yes, 16gb is way more then enough.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I want to buy The Sims 3 + expansions, but not sure where to buy from...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived