This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's come up with a better genre name for games like DotA and LoL

#11Orestes417Posted 6/12/2014 6:07:44 PM
Ooh. I just had a thought. You know how the Turing Test is supposed to detect a machine's capability to pass as human? MOBAs can be referred to as the Leary Test, named of course for one of Denis Leary's most famous songs.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#12CatToyPosted 6/12/2014 6:08:22 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Actually you play a very specific role in these rpgs. Not sure how you could argue otherwise. An actor doesn't have free reign over a script either yet they play roles all the time :P

It's even less of a role playing game when you're watching someone else act out the whole thing.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#13DV8ingSourcesPosted 6/12/2014 6:12:14 PM
Nope. You move the character. THAT IS YOU! What you want is creative freedom and that is the absence of a role. Being able to do what you want when you want is not a role, that is freedom and freedom is bad.

Also chucked at 'watching someone else'... in a vidjagame? Damn peoples acting out stuff in my games consoles.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#14DV8ingSourcesPosted 6/12/2014 6:14:04 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Ooh. I just had a thought. You know how the Turing Test is supposed to detect a machine's capability to pass as human? MOBAs can be referred to as the Leary Test, named of course for one of Denis Leary's most famous songs.

It's not a 'test' if you know the results.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
#15TimePharaohPosted 6/12/2014 6:14:09 PM
Playground simulators
#16CatToyPosted 6/12/2014 6:17:51 PM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...
Nope. You move the character.

And in what game don't you move a character? This is back to every game is a role playing game because you're in control of a character.

Tetris is a role playing game because you move the block.

If we boiled down every genre to its very base, we wouldn't even need them. Role playing games imply a higher level of autonomy as designed by games like Dungeons and Dragons, where you actually played the role of your character.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#17Orestes417Posted 6/12/2014 6:17:44 PM
CatToy posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

And in what game don't you move a character? This is back to every game is a role playing game because you're in control of a character.

Never played Lemmings then?
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#18DV8ingSourcesPosted 6/12/2014 6:18:56 PM
CatToy posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

Exactly. It's why this thread exists (partially)... These classifications are often terrible taken at face value. A shooter is just as much a 'role playing' game as baldur's gate. What they should be called these days is "Story heavy ego boosting dating sims" or maybe "Repetitive work training systems".
---
#19CatToyPosted 6/12/2014 6:23:21 PM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...
Exactly. It's why this thread exists (partially)... These classifications are often terrible taken at face value. A shooter is just as much a 'role playing' game as baldur's gate. What they should be called these days is "Story heavy ego boosting dating sims" or maybe "Repetitive work training systems".

Right, so then why are you disagreeing with me? That was exactly my point, (J)RPG doesn't accurately describe what's actually taking place in those games.

And when I said watching someone else act out, I was referring to for example, watching Squall go through his preordained story where your only interaction with him is either "Stop and do nothing, or go on with your destiny".
---
#20DV8ingSourcesPosted 6/12/2014 6:23:35 PM
CatToy posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

Right, so then why are you disagreeing with me? That was exactly my point, (J)RPG doesn't accurately describe what's actually taking place in those games.

The sarcasm was painted pretty heavy but tis the internet I suppose. I wasn't disagreeing with you, just mocking the current labels we have and why your complaints with the current system were just as flawed. Calling something a roleplaying game is a waste of time. It means almost jack squat. :)
---