This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So do I need a highend GPU to use one of those 144Hz monitors ?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So do I need a highend GPU to use one of those 144Hz monitors ?

User Info: saltedham

saltedham
2 years ago#11
Clouddx posted...
If you're playing CS:GO competitively it doesn't take that much to hit 144fps, and the lessened input lag is always great.

this is what i plan on. cs:go is my main game.
(X)_(X)
SUSANO'O!!!!!

User Info: Kano92

Kano92
2 years ago#12
Can I change the refresh to maybe 85hz and then I may have better chance to attain 85 FPS steady with my gpu ? Does it only run at 144Hz, can you change it ?
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit

User Info: Th1rte3n

Th1rte3n
2 years ago#13
Kano92 posted...
Can I change the refresh to maybe 85hz and then I may have better chance to attain 85 FPS steady with my gpu ? Does it only run at 144Hz, can you change it ?

Well you don't need to change the refresh rate. You'll still benefit from having 85FPS w/ a 144hz monitor.
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S

User Info: Logical_One

Logical_One
2 years ago#14
PhilOnDez posted...
I would take a 60hz IPS monitor over a 120-144hz tn monitor, doubly so in your case since you'd have to turn down settings in a lot of games to hit 144.

QFT.

Both of my current monitors are IPS but my wife's monitors are TN--I find the washed out colors on TN monitors depressing. I paid for a super high-end rig so that games play well AND look good. Now, if you played competitive CS then MAYBE I'd see the point (and by competitive I mean for money).

Just IMO.
---
Steam: LogicalOne / PSN: TheCoolBreeze / XBL: ZenTheShogun

User Info: Logical_One

Logical_One
2 years ago#15
Also, to answer the original question--yes, you'd need a high end GPU to run games at respectable frame-rates in order to fully utilize a 144hz monitor.
---
Steam: LogicalOne / PSN: TheCoolBreeze / XBL: ZenTheShogun

User Info: nightwind13x

nightwind13x
2 years ago#16
Just got a 27" Asus Mx279H IPS monitor...SOO in love with it. I'd take amazing pic/colors over 144Hz
GTX 780 SC ACX || 2600K @ 4.5GHZ || 8gb G.Skill Ram || 180GB CorsairGT SSD
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So do I need a highend GPU to use one of those 144Hz monitors ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived