This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

build for friend, partpicker suggestion

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. build for friend, partpicker suggestion
1 year ago#1
trying to get a rig together for my homeboy, just wanted to see the best you guys could come up with.

his wants to stay within $1k - 1200

he already has a 1080p monitor
no peripherals
he does need an OS though, and a case.

i was looking at cases with him and he is very fond of the Thermaltake Overseer RX-I

id like to get him a current gen intel, 4th gen haswell or whatever-- something that'll be futureproof. no amd, no exceptions. i was even thinking about throwing a closed loop corsair hydo on it, like my h80i.

also, i gotta go with team green for the gfx department as well. no amd, no exceptions.

but beyond that, have at it. i appreciate any help.
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
1 year ago#2
also, i had picked out the asus sabertooth z87 mobo for him, i have the same one for my socket and i am extremely fond of it. i definitely want to try to keep it and the case in the budget if possible.
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
1 year ago#3
here's what i have so far... been doing my best to keep it <= 1200

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PrJmFT

i've changed that sabertooth motherboard because i couldn't get it to fit in his budget. i him a 3GB seagate barracude but he's wondering if the budget will allow him to fit a SSD in solely for the windows install. i'm not sure how big it would have to be i'm guessing either 32 or 64gb.
---
(message deleted)
1 year ago#5
Get this.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y2WzFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y2WzFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($70.39 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($301.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $968.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-14 00:25 EDT-0400

The CPU you originally chose was a Haswell Refresh locked processor with a z87 motherboard. So, since I know your homie isn't going to be doing some overclocking. I changed it into a i5 4460 with H97 motherboard with USB 3.0 and since no overclock, no need for aftermarket cooler since stock is fine.

Video card jumps to an EVGA GTX 770 which is a whole lot better of course.Ram is cheaper since rams are really not that different. I also got him a Crucial M500 120Gb which is a really good SSD in both brand and quality especially for the money. Changed it into 2Tb since I read a while back that 3Tb drives tend to go bad easier.

Changed the case to an NZXT H230 which is cheaper of course but a really quality design and only that cheap because of a sales promo but if you want the Thermaltake then get it. Changed power supply to a quality XFX one, not a CoolerMaster Garbage PSU. Does he really need BlueRay? I changed it to a normal drive to save money.

This is a 1k build. I did not maximized the build since he might need a BlueRay drive(which I doubt) and might want the case ( which I doubt he'd care after 1 month after the purchase). You really don't need an aftermarket cooler for a locked proc.
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
1 year ago#6
ok so i actually kinda of merged the 2 lists together.. i kept windows 8.1, and the cpu. but we are stuck on the case so we are gonna go ahead with the thermaltake. i went to a different motherboard because he wants one with wifi built in and would rather it be on the motherboard so it doesn't take up a pci-e slot. its a different board than the one i originally had in the first list. i also changed the RAM back to corsair vengeance ram because i've never heard of whatever brand you recommended, and i cant recommend their ram enough. also, i changed the PSU back to a corsair brand for the same reason- i can't recommend theirs enough

either way, here is where we currently stand- check this out: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7dgFK8

basically $21 more than my original proposed build, with a much better gfx card, a solid state drive, and a fairly insignificant downgrade in cpu/mobo, and a optical drive that doesn't read blu-rays which hardly matters. not bad, right?
---
1 year ago#7
Really bad build for the price.

You have to update the motherboard bios first before you can use it. Why get a Z87 on a locked processor when the H97 motherboard is cheaper, newer and does not need a BIOS update. The XFX 550 PSU is enough for a build with no proc OC and the low grade Corsair CX PSU T____T? Even the ram got crappier since the timings are lower.

Everything actually got more expensive and the performance got a bit lower. :( You can always buy a USB 2.0 Wifi Adapter where you use one of the many USB ports on the back of your motherboard.

I wouldn't buy the build you posted especially when the first build I posted is $150 cheaper if you add the Thermaltake case and the TT case is FULL ATX so you shouldn't be worried about losing a PCI slot since you should have more than you need.

Hope this helps.
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
1 year ago#8
You also shouldn't be worried about Ram Brand since there are only a handful manufacturers now that make ram.

While I'm not sure, I think that Samsung, Eplida and Micron are the only ones who are manufacturing ram right now. of course I may be wrong but the Team Vulcan and Corsair ram may even have been manufactured in the same plant.
---
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
1 year ago#9
Lol, Cancel the comment about the TT case is full atx so PCI is not problem lol.

The motherboard has more than enough PCI slots so you shouldn't worry is what I meant.
---
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
1 year ago#10
My build...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6MKK23
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. build for friend, partpicker suggestion

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived