This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is witcher 1 worth getting?

#11Majoras_pantsPosted 6/13/2014 11:16:51 PM
Yes.

The combat isn't great. But it's not as bad as like, a turn based JRPG or something.

It's better than 2 in every other way besides graphics.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#12nighthawk16Posted 6/13/2014 11:17:12 PM
Seems like this question gets asked every other day. In short, yes, but with some caveats. The game is worth playing for the story, atmosphere and setting if you have a fondness for the fantasy genre. The actual gameplay can be a bit of a slog though. My biggest problem with it wasn't the combat though, but the pacing. There are tons and tons of fetch quests and the like that require you to travel across the map, and with no fast travel and Geralt's slow walking speed, you spend a lot of time running from Point A to Point B. Like, a lot a lot. My first run through was about 50 hrs, probably 70% of that time was just running to next quest marker.

The only other game I've played where traveling was such a problem was Far Cry 2.
---
Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat Billyboy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
#13Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 6/13/2014 11:29:22 PM(edited)
I steer people clear of it.

All of the choices in the first game are self-contained, and the only one that wasn't was retconned for me in Witcher 2 :V. Lots of poor fetch quests and endless backtracking, a story that can be summed up really easily, and pretty poor combat.

Someone mentioned, "would you skip 10 chapters ahead in a book?". Sure as hell would if the first 10 chapters were inconsistent or inconsequential to the later story and easily summarized.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned