This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Diablo 3 worth trying?

#41galfasanta1111Posted 6/15/2014 4:03:57 PM
kobalobasileus posted...
D3 is plenty of fun, but if you can, get it on a console. It's the only way to be free of the always-online DRM nonsense.

If I never bought D3 before, i'd only get the console version if I was only playing single player or a LAN game. Online is full of duplicating.

PS: I didn't mention it in my post above, but I found the story to be good. There is good voice acting, cut scenes progressing it's major points, plus there is a lot of lore to read on the side which explains a lot. I don't want to spoil it for the TC so I won't discuss further.
---
i7 3930k @ 3.2ghz | EVGA GTX 780 3GB SC'D | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 875W
#42jake-sfPosted 6/15/2014 4:17:28 PM
D2 didn't shove its story down your throat and what you could hear was nice to listen to.

Every single line in D3 will make anyone puke.

The initial question was essentially, is the game fun to play for a playthrough or two. I say yes, it is.

Adventure mode is worthless however, and once through the game the loot hunting is utterly pointless. But that is expected apparently by the loot hunting drones. I'd rather have things to do, things to look forward to. But its actually utterly terrible for that, AND they killed nightmare-hell-inferno (which lacked in uniqueness too) AND ... oh whatever.

I think games like Diablo 3 who aims at pleasing the crowd that want infinite items for absolutely no reason should stop being called "action RPGs". It has diminished the genre into garbage.

Nevermind that Diablo 3 has no real replayability either. And the level scaling ruined it (as well as the new difficulty settings, really, might as well start us at max level you ******* idiots).
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#43GiSS88Posted 6/15/2014 4:39:23 PM
D3 has really come a long way. I refuse to pay for the expansion yet (I'll wait for $20 probably), but even before that the patches made it an enjoyable game. It still won't give you the mileage D2 did though.

PoE is great in it's own right, but it also suffers from itemization problems which people like to overlook when comparing the two. It's also possible to screw up a build pretty easily (or was when I last played) so that can be annoying.

I'll throw out the lonely petition to try Marvel Heroes. Don't look at old reviews, as they have fixed multiple issues also. Very addicting, over 26 characters (usually different play-styles, some are copy paste jobs though) and nearly everything can be earned in game without spending a dime. If you aren't in to the whole super-hero thing you probably won't enjoy it.
---
PSN: NoJ87
3DS: 3995-6590-2490 *PM if you add me // PokemonY, Gabite/Sliggo/Dragonair Safari
#4460fpsPosted 6/15/2014 5:13:59 PM
GiSS88 posted...

I'll throw out the lonely petition to try Marvel Heroes. Don't look at old reviews, as they have fixed multiple issues also. Very addicting, over 26 characters (usually different play-styles, some are copy paste jobs though) and nearly everything can be earned in game without spending a dime. If you aren't in to the whole super-hero thing you probably won't enjoy it.

You're not alone. I have joined the 1000+ hours club in that game. It has way too much content now to be ignored.

The Omega system is going to drain a lot of my time before I ever complete a build with it. I still haven't tried the Sutur raid yet.
---
ZZZzzz...
#45ShadowThaReaperPosted 6/15/2014 5:18:06 PM
$60 game.

Online only.

People still defend it after 2 years.

lol
#46HypereiaPosted 6/15/2014 5:29:22 PM
The expansion along with the closing of the AH/RMAH did give the game a kickstart, however, I found myself bored within 2-3 weeks after RoS launch.

For me, it felt like it was missing something which kept me addicted to D2. I can't quite put my finger on it, though.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Hypereia
Origin/BF4: Hypereia
#47galfasanta1111Posted 6/15/2014 5:32:53 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
$60 game.

Online only.

People still defend it after 2 years.

lol

*$20 game.
---
i7 3930k @ 3.2ghz | EVGA GTX 780 3GB SC'D | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 875W
#48NingishzidaPosted 6/15/2014 5:35:12 PM
I was going to recommend you Median XL: Ultimative for Diablo 2, but then I saw you only put 100s of hours into base D2, which, even if I give you 900 hours, is a paltry 38 full days of your life, rounded up.

So, go and play D3 or something else for casuals, like Torchlight.
#49KojaxFXPosted 6/17/2014 10:38:51 PM
I think it is worthwhile. If you enjoy the genre. Most of the people who bash the game or complain about it are people who loved D2. Right now it is the best game ARPG on the market if you ask me.
---
Video games are awesome :D
#50akuma634Posted 6/17/2014 11:01:42 PM
I played up to act 2 and I got very bored. I put hundreds of hours into the first two Diablo games. There's a lot that I didn't really care for, and I felt way more satisfied with Torchlight 2, right from my first kill, everything really clicked for me. Diablo 3 requires you to play the game online, even single player and you will get server lag on single player which makes hardcore mode pointless. Then there's the expansion which seems to be required to fix a lot of the problems the game has, when it should have been fixed from the start. It sounds like a waste of money to me. If anything get Diablo 3 on the PS3 or 360 because that version doesn't have 24/7 DRM, it never had the real money auction house, or the other annoyances the game has on the PC.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\