This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinion on the new Battlefield?

#31rupok93Posted 6/15/2014 8:19:25 PM(edited)
its basically the reason they didn't allow mods, cause this is ameteur mod level work.

In fact I think actual modders would have done a 10X better job at making a fun game with texture replacements than visceral and made everything actually line up with the theme instead of having cops carry rpgs and somehow a bank heist causing cranes to fall.

Furthermore not even a spec of destruction. Its like after bc2 the bf series died. people used to to bc2 wasn't a true bf game and yet compared to bf3 and after it was miles more of a bf game with every gadget, class, vehicle focused on teamwork.
#32Orestes417Posted 6/15/2014 8:22:30 PM
Let me pose this question then. If the modders are so great and could've done all these amazing things... why haven't they? There's plenty of engines available to work with so where's the beef? Where are these amazing professionally done mods that outshine developer output from large publishers? Come on now, if it were so easy there should be several dozen solid alternatives to choose from. Where are they?

Here's a hint: It's easy to run your mouth about what could be done. It's half a million times harder to do it. And then you have to worry about getting a playerbase and supporting it.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#33singhellotakuPosted 6/15/2014 8:24:34 PM
Rosencroitz posted...
Another terrible Battlefield game.

to be fair, bf4 is awesome when it works, that has just never happened.
---
Humanity as a whole gets dumber every time you write sonypony nintendrone or xbot...and weeaboo...I mean, honestly people.
#34Neo_PortaPottyPosted 6/15/2014 8:34:55 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Let me pose this question then. If the modders are so great and could've done all these amazing things... why haven't they? There's plenty of engines available to work with so where's the beef? Where are these amazing professionally done mods that outshine developer output from large publishers? Come on now, if it were so easy there should be several dozen solid alternatives to choose from. Where are they?

Here's a hint: It's easy to run your mouth about what could be done. It's half a million times harder to do it. And then you have to worry about getting a playerbase and supporting it.

Defense of the ancients is still being cloned to this day, counter strike, team fortress to name a few.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
#35Orestes417Posted 6/15/2014 8:43:52 PM(edited)
Neo_PortaPotty posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Defense of the ancients is still being cloned to this day, counter strike, team fortress to name a few.

Three highly successful mods from a decade ago does not explain why we don't see many being done now by all these people who claim they could replicate something like Hardline in a month with texture swaps. The closest you come in modern times are Insurgency (which is fairly old itself), the Rising Storm community, the ARMA community and quite probably the new Unreal community if it flies. If I missed any full game scale mods of good quality please by all means mention them.

The point remains though, if the mod community could've done a better Battlefield than Battlefield they damn sure aren't demonstrating it with actual code. And the lack of Frostbite mod tools is a poor excuse because there are plenty of other suitable tools to get the job done.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#36TalesOfGodPosted 6/15/2014 8:44:04 PM
thatfool12Gs posted...
R.I.P. Battlefield Franchise

Battlefield 2's memory will live on in my heart.
#37RosencroitzPosted 6/15/2014 8:52:16 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...

Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Day of Defeat, Natural Selection, Alien Swarm, etc.

Orestes417 posted...
Three highly successful mods from a decade ago does not explain why we don't see many being done now by all these people who claim they could replicate something like Hardline in a month with texture swaps. The closest you come in modern times are Insurgency (which is fairly old itself), the Rising Storm community, the ARMA community and quite probably the new Unreal community if it flies. If I missed any full game scale mods of good quality please by all means mention them.

The point remains though, if the mod community could've done a better Battlefield than Battlefield they damn sure aren't demonstrating it with actual code. And the lack of Frostbite mod tools is a poor excuse because there are plenty of other suitable tools to get the job done.

How about a lack of open games? We haven't had a decent game that was able to really be built off of since HL2/the Source engine.
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#38Bazooka_PenguinPosted 6/15/2014 8:51:51 PM
The aesthetic is very boring.

Honestly, all said and done, if they got Visceral working on it they should have just gone for a new sci-fi world. But cops and robbers running around a completely empty city just feels off.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#39Orestes417Posted 6/15/2014 8:56:43 PM(edited)
Not really grasping the concept of alternatives are we? None of those works as a drop in analog to Battlefield.

What's wrong with Source if it comes to that? Titanfall was built on nodded Source, surely a game of the BF style could be competently built in it if one were motivated.

---
#40RosencroitzPosted 6/15/2014 8:58:10 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Not really grasping the concept of alternatives are we? None of those works as a drop in analog to Battlefield.

Likely because anybody with the skills to create it isn't interested in creating something as mundane as a Battlefield-esque game, much less a group of people.

Orestes417 posted...
motivated.

Ding ding. Good job!
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.