This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installing Command and Conquer: Generals. Anything I should know?

#11InferiorPeasantPosted 6/16/2014 11:24:23 PM
Did cncden go under? Was going to recommend the site for mods, maps, etc.
#12shmirlywhirl(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2014 12:38:59 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
I don't see it mentioned here, but it's pretty easy to get Generals to run in 1080p (or whatever your native resolution is) with a simple .ini edit.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/command-conquer-generals

Wow, thanks. I'll definitely will look in to that.
---
Now with 100% real fruit juice
#13spud_almightyPosted 6/17/2014 1:17:45 AM
I like this game but considering C&C debut game, how in the hell can this be the best ever?! The original is a bona fide ageless classic.
#14ryan0991Posted 6/17/2014 3:15:20 AM
spud_almighty posted...
I like this game but considering C&C debut game, how in the hell can this be the best ever?! The original is a bona fide ageless classic.

It's a classic, but hardly ageless.

No skirmish mode
Awful AI
Terrible path-finding
Poor balance
A lack of features that are standard in modern RTS games.

Red Alert has some of the same issues, but has aged far better. I absolutely love the original C&C, but I'm also not blind to its flaws.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#15KillerTrufflePosted 6/17/2014 8:18:05 AM
spud_almighty posted...

Generals: Zero Hour was my favorite C&C by far, even tho others may be classics. It had 12 distinct factions, each with distinct differences and playstyles, and they are all still very well balanced (with the possible exception of stealth GLA).
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#16Psykic PetrolPosted 6/17/2014 8:23:21 AM(edited)
Don't bother with the base game & install Zero Hour as well. I never bother with the campaigns, but ZH has everything in the original + more as far as skirmish goes.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0
#17anonymous46773Posted 6/17/2014 8:52:06 AM
Balance issues aside, Zero Hour is one of the best RTS games I've ever played.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#18KillerTrufflePosted 6/17/2014 9:46:10 AM
Psykic Petrol posted...
Don't bother with the base game & install Zero Hour as well. I never bother with the campaigns, but ZH has everything in the original + more as far as skirmish goes.

Agreed.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#19shmirlywhirl(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2014 10:12:38 AM
I also have Tiberium Sun (at least I think I do, could just be the soundtrack). Which would be a better starting point?
---
Now with 100% real fruit juice
#20Psykic PetrolPosted 6/17/2014 11:02:17 AM(edited)
Everything Generals onwards plays almost completely different to RA2/YR and previous (literally - they use completely different game engines). IMO, as much as I loved RA2/YR, I'd just go from Generals/ZH. One of the things about C&C is that there are a lot of mods, some of which are conversion mods & so you can play with RA2/TS units in ZH for the most part.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0