This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Devs who resign over a game getting dumbed down...

#1NingishzidaPosted 6/16/2014 9:21:18 PM(edited)
... possess one of the rarest qualities in the universe: integrity.

An example is ex-Bioware designer, Mr. Knowles, who did great work on Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights and then spearheaded Dragon Age: Origins.

When the DA2 "combat system" (if you wanna call it that) veered towards a casual, untactical direction, Mr. Knowles simply walked away from the project.

I applaud this guy, who is now a writer, I'm sure he doesn't hold the unbridled hate I do for DA2, as I'd be embarrassed to have that game on my resume, in a design capacity.

What other devs have resigned over questionable design directions?
#2SleepComaPosted 6/16/2014 9:22:39 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3MackorovPosted 6/16/2014 9:27:01 PM
More like naiveness. If you want to continue working in an industry, you gotta adapt to the changes. Can't have things always going your way.
#4dementedlullabyPosted 6/16/2014 9:32:37 PM
Mackorov posted...
More like naiveness. If you want to continue working in an industry, you gotta adapt to the changes. Can't have things always going your way.

Artistic integrity is important to some people.
---
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#5Ivany2008Posted 6/16/2014 9:34:24 PM
How about the guy behind Megaman in its entirety. He left Capcom and started his own company funding his own game Mighty Number 9 in response to the huge fan outpour for a new MM game, knowing that Capcom would refuse to make another MM game.
#6Orestes417Posted 6/16/2014 9:36:41 PM
dementedlullaby posted...
Mackorov posted...

Food and housing is much more important to others
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#7HighOnPhazonPosted 6/16/2014 9:36:44 PM
As much as I hated Dragon Age 2, the archaic battle system from KOTOR needed to change. The way they did it however was not the right way.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#8Ningishzida(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2014 9:40:30 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Mackorov posted...

Food and housing is much more important to others

This is true, there are realities to consider, obviously not all are in the position of Mr. Knowles to take a stand and not back down. Still, I think many wouldn't take a stand even if they could afford it, that's common in human nature, to go with the flow.
#9ConkerPosted 6/16/2014 9:45:43 PM
Mackorov posted...

It can't be that important to someone that joins a company that is in business to make money. Thinking you'll get everything your way without being independent, is being naive.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#10majinbuu58Posted 6/16/2014 9:48:28 PM
Ivany2008 posted...
How about the guy behind Megaman in its entirety. He left Capcom and started his own company funding his own game Mighty Number 9 in response to the huge fan outpour for a new MM game, knowing that Capcom would refuse to make another MM game.

You seem to know nothing behind this. MM9 and 10 came out not too long ago. They'll make more soon without a doubt.

Maybe, just maybe, he's making No. 9 because that's the type of game he ENJOYS creating? Like his other game that comes out soon?
---
"realistically, im the most IRL person on this board with the most friends, most girls, and most fun adventures." -P64