This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Devs who resign over a game getting dumbed down...

#11Ningishzida(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2014 10:09:22 PM(edited)
Conker posted...
It can't be that important to someone that joins a company that is in business to make money. Thinking you'll get everything your way without being independent, is being naive.

I don't see how Knowles or anyone who leaves because he/she doesn't like the direction a franchise is taking, is naive.

The guy didn't wanna compromise his principles, and quietly left. He was in a business that was doing things the way he liked them to be done, then the business went in a direction he didn't like. There isn't anything wrong, naive, petulant, or whatever, with moving on because of that.

There's alot wrong with DA2, though (as compared to Origins).
#12MarikhenPosted 6/16/2014 10:09:58 PM
While it's a good thing that at least some developers are more willing to leave their job than turn out job lots of LCD pap to be spoon fed to the masses of intellectually subhuman gamers out there it's not necessarily a good thing if entire development teams are like this. Please note the Diablo franchise.

Blizzard North wasn't doing the job of creating Diablo 3 to Vivendi's satisfaction which was one of the key reasons that the studio was shut down. This in turn resulted in Diablo 3 being scrapped, a later team more "attuned" to corporate interests developing World of Diablocraft, and all of the hullabaloo that has since gone on regarding the game.

Then there are the aftershocks such as Flagship Studios, Hellgate: London, and so on.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#13DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/16/2014 10:23:50 PM
Ivany2008 posted...
How about the guy behind Megaman in its entirety. He left Capcom and started his own company funding his own game Mighty Number 9 in response to the huge fan outpour for a new MM game, knowing that Capcom would refuse to make another MM game.

Actually, Capcom already greenlit several Megaman games. He left because he didn't like the management at Capcom, and their unwillingness to put a budget behind a risky project.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#14Ivany2008Posted 6/16/2014 11:04:20 PM(edited)
MM9/10 came out 4 years ago. You honestly think they will make more? They have made 4 MM games since then and all 4 have gotten cancelled well into production. Hell Legends 3 was near completion and they canned it. They didn't even bother releasing the Tech Demo. They blamed the cancellation on the fans(which is something you never do)

Anyways, it isn't even close to the other shady things they have done. Rerelease the same game 4 times(only 1 of which was an actual change), lock characters on the disc and release it as dlc, dlc limited to a console(Dead Rising 3) despite the PC version coming in a few months, locking the game to 30 fps despite it being put on pc, amongst other practices.

They didn't get the nickname Crapcom for nothing.

As I said before, I hope they get bought out and the company disbanded with the games divided. I hope Inafune gets the rights to Megaman, Platinum games gets the rights to DMC, and Street Fighter goes to a company like Arc System Works or SNK if they are still around, if only to get a new capcom v snk game another a new name.

I'd also love to see Res Evil get picked up by another developer. Maybe Tose which created the Revelations game.

yeah....not a big fan of capcom.

Actually, Capcom already greenlit several Megaman games. He left because he didn't like the management at Capcom, and their unwillingness to put a budget behind a risky project.

I would love to know where some of these games are. I know one is that horrid game for IOS that didn't even make it out of Japan.
#15ConkerPosted 6/16/2014 11:16:24 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Conker posted...
It can't be that important to someone that joins a company that is in business to make money. Thinking you'll get everything your way without being independent, is being naive.

I don't see how Knowles or anyone who leaves because he/she doesn't like the direction a franchise is taking, is naive.

The guy didn't wanna compromise his principles, and quietly left. He was in a business that was doing things the way he liked them to be done, then the business went in a direction he didn't like. There isn't anything wrong, naive, petulant, or whatever, with moving on because of that.

There's alot wrong with DA2, though (as compared to Origins).

I didn't say anything in disagreement with this. The fact of the matter is that anyone who resigns over what you said was naive to think they wouldn't have to change at some point with a business or that they'd not change from what they wanted. That doesn't mean quitting isn't still showing integrity, but many people would call that person ignorant depending on the whole situation.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#16Tyranius2Posted 6/16/2014 11:28:08 PM
we want the cod audience
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#17Ningishzida(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2014 11:39:49 PM
Conker posted...
The fact of the matter is that anyone who resigns over what you said was naive to think they wouldn't have to change at some point with a business or that they'd not change from what they wanted. That doesn't mean quitting isn't still showing integrity, but many people would call that person ignorant depending on the whole situation.

How did you know Knowles went into Bioware thinking the business wouldn't change direction at some point, can you read his mind?

Maybe he was a normal person, who enjoyed his time there, kept in mind the possibility that things might change, and then when things did change, simply moved on?

Everytime you walk out your front door, you don't know what will happen. That doesn't mean when you step in a dog turd on your front lawn, that you were naieve or ignorant just cuz you scrape it from the sole of your shoes.
#18Darkcloud20Posted 6/16/2014 11:40:26 PM
majinbuu58 posted...
Ivany2008 posted...
How about the guy behind Megaman in its entirety. He left Capcom and started his own company funding his own game Mighty Number 9 in response to the huge fan outpour for a new MM game, knowing that Capcom would refuse to make another MM game.

You seem to know nothing behind this. MM9 and 10 came out not too long ago. They'll make more soon without a doubt.

Maybe, just maybe, he's making No. 9 because that's the type of game he ENJOYS creating? Like his other game that comes out soon?

That was 4 years ago and Capcom has done everything to troll Mega Man fans since then.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#19jokrayzPosted 6/16/2014 11:53:11 PM
Ivany2008 posted...
MM9/10 came out 4 years ago. You honestly think they will make more? They have made 4 MM games since then and all 4 have gotten cancelled well into production. Hell Legends 3 was near completion and they canned it. They didn't even bother releasing the Tech Demo. They blamed the cancellation on the fans(which is something you never do)

Anyways, it isn't even close to the other shady things they have done. Rerelease the same game 4 times(only 1 of which was an actual change), lock characters on the disc and release it as dlc, dlc limited to a console(Dead Rising 3) despite the PC version coming in a few months, locking the game to 30 fps despite it being put on pc, amongst other practices.

They didn't get the nickname Crapcom for nothing.

As I said before, I hope they get bought out and the company disbanded with the games divided. I hope Inafune gets the rights to Megaman, Platinum games gets the rights to DMC, and Street Fighter goes to a company like Arc System Works or SNK if they are still around, if only to get a new capcom v snk game another a new name.

I'd also love to see Res Evil get picked up by another developer. Maybe Tose which created the Revelations game.

yeah....not a big fan of capcom.

I would love to know where some of these games are. I know one is that horrid game for IOS that didn't even make it out of Japan.

felt like a big troll moment.

*we want megaman.
capcom: you get zero (tatsunoko v. capcom)
* we want megaman
capcom: you get zero (mvc3)
* we want megaman
capcom: you get this zero skin to look like megaman
* we want megaman
capcom: Here, you get BBA megaman! happy?
---
3DS FC: 0576 4831 1350, Brave Frontier ID: 4473008222
Injustice playersave here (http://jokrayz.blogspot.com/)
#20PhilOnDezPosted 6/17/2014 1:05:38 AM
Ningishzida posted...
Conker posted...
The fact of the matter is that anyone who resigns over what you said was naive to think they wouldn't have to change at some point with a business or that they'd not change from what they wanted. That doesn't mean quitting isn't still showing integrity, but many people would call that person ignorant depending on the whole situation.

How did you know Knowles went into Bioware thinking the business wouldn't change direction at some point, can you read his mind?

Maybe he was a normal person, who enjoyed his time there, kept in mind the possibility that things might change, and then when things did change, simply moved on?

Everytime you walk out your front door, you don't know what will happen. That doesn't mean when you step in a dog turd on your front lawn, that you were naieve or ignorant just cuz you scrape it from the sole of your shoes.

I would go so far as to say Knowles saw the dog **** and instead of getting it all over his shoes (resume) he just walked away from it. Sounds like a good decision to me, very rarely have I seen a game panned so near universally as DA2. I get the feeling it wasn't just one little thing, rather he saw how everything was coming together and wanted nothing to do with any of it.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez