This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter? or PCI-E card that works on 8x lane?

#1Jeffw88Posted 6/17/2014 1:35:01 AM
i would go with WLAN PCI-E x1 card but I found out that some WLAN cards don't work with PCI-E- x8 slot or x16 slot and there is no way to know which one work and which one doesn't (had to learn this the hard way).

Since only PCI-E slot available for me is 8x slot, I need a good wireless adapter that doesn't lose speed and has good connection. $50 budget.

thanks in advance.
---
Just because you think it is right, it doesn't make it right for everyone. Even you.
You're being trolled only if you let them.
#2SScorpioPosted 6/17/2014 6:51:02 AM
PCI-E cards are compatible with faster slots. So a x1 card will work in a x4, x8, etc slot. A WLAN card will not be able to saturate the bandwidth available with a x1 slot, so you won't find one that's not x1.

You said you learned the hard way about WLAN cards not working in a x8 or x16 slot. Could you elaborate on what happened?

Do you have any USB3.0 slots on your MB? They would provide a much faster interface that USB2.0, as a 802.11n connection can saturate USB2.0's bandwidth. Though if you are buying an adapter now, you might want to look into one that supports 802.11ac which supports support gigabit wireless speeds.
#3Jeffw88(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2014 1:57:59 PM
SScorpio posted...
PCI-E cards are compatible with faster slots. So a x1 card will work in a x4, x8, etc slot. A WLAN card will not be able to saturate the bandwidth available with a x1 slot, so you won't find one that's not x1.

You said you learned the hard way about WLAN cards not working in a x8 or x16 slot. Could you elaborate on what happened?

Do you have any USB3.0 slots on your MB? They would provide a much faster interface that USB2.0, as a 802.11n connection can saturate USB2.0's bandwidth. Though if you are buying an adapter now, you might want to look into one that supports 802.11ac which supports support gigabit wireless speeds.

Like you said, they should. and I thought they did too. But they did not work.
At first, I thought it was a mobo's faulty pci-e lane. but all pci-e 16x, 8x, and 4x worked fine with my videocard.
then I thought it was the faulty WLAN card. (exact model is Asus PCE-N15, x1 slot card). But it does work on 4x slot, and 1x slot, but not 16x or 8x. The computer simply refuses to post bios and boot altogether, and restart every 20 seconds. My motherboard is gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5.

So, after some googling, I found out that some Realtek chips does not have the capability to work on 8x and 16x lane. and I did tried actual driver from realtek website, which didn't install the driver altogether.

I may get USB 3.0 N/AC but good AC ones are around $80 which I can't justify its price.
---
Just because you think it is right, it doesn't make it right for everyone. Even you.
#4Jeffw88(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2014 9:51:18 PM
bump
---