This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Steam and XBOX 360 Controllers

#1En1glVlaPosted 6/17/2014 1:51:42 AM
I know that wireless 360 controllers won't work with Steam unless you buy some "dongle" thing, but what about original XBOX controllers and wired 360 controllers? Do you just plug them into the PC and it automatically works? Do you have to download stuff that gives you the risk of the controller not working with Steam games?
---
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/10/Whetsit_Tuya.png
#2Sk0rbutPosted 6/17/2014 2:08:16 AM
The original xbox controllers don't connect via usb so you can't just use one with your pc. A wired 360 controller just needs plugging in and you're good to go - 360 controllers are pretty much the de facto standard when it comes to playing with a gamepad on pc.
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#3spud_almightyPosted 6/17/2014 2:08:24 AM
Modern games the 360 controller will work fine. Older games (the ones from before the time 360 existed) you might aswell get an old style logitech controller. People rely so much on new technology and forget there is always cheaper, just as good solutions available.

There is ways to get the 360 pad to work with older games but the hassle it takes in comparison to have a cheap second controller on stand by shouldn't be in question. I have several different controllers from over the years and they all still work with their generation of games.
#4romsnbombsPosted 6/17/2014 2:09:08 AM
It's nothing to do with steam, unless you're talking about big picture mode?

But yeah, it's the games themselves. Most games have native support for the 360 pad nowadays. And it's basically just plug and play.
---
2600k | GTX 780 | P8P67-M Pro | 8GB | VG248QE G-Sync
#5En1glVla(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2014 2:18:09 AM
romsnbombs posted...
It's nothing to do with steam, unless you're talking about big picture mode?

But yeah, it's the games themselves. Most games have native support for the 360 pad nowadays. And it's basically just plug and play.

So the wired 360 controller has a usb cord that automatically plugs into one of your laptop's usb slots and works without a problem?
---
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/10/Whetsit_Tuya.png
#6CatToyPosted 6/17/2014 2:30:53 AM(edited)
En1glVla posted...
So the wired 360 controller has a usb cord that automatically plugs into one of your laptop's usb slots and works without a problem?

Any controller that supports Xinput (which is pretty much any modern USB controller, 360 controllers included of course) will automatically be configured with button prompt icons and everything with any game that supports Xinput, which nowadays is pretty much everything. They will play exactly like they would on a console.

Some games will dynamically change their control input based on whatever input you last touched. Others you will have to swap between keyboard/mouse and controller in the options.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.