This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Really liked Fallout 3, do you think I'll like Fallout 1 & 2 ?

#1Kano92Posted 6/18/2014 4:25:39 PM
These games are kinda old and dated looking but thats fine with me, but how is the gameplay compared to the 3rd one and are these games just as fun ?
---
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit
#2ShubPosted 6/18/2014 4:28:59 PM
Eh, no, there's no guarantee of that, at all. While Fallout 1 and 2 are two of the best RPGs ever made, and any RPG fan owes it to themselves to play them, really the only thing Fallout 1+2 and Fallout 3 have in common is the setting.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3AlleRacingPosted 6/18/2014 4:29:04 PM
They have very little in common, apart from general setting.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#4shmirlywhirlPosted 6/18/2014 4:30:03 PM
The gameplay is way different. Fallout 3 really should have not been numbered that way. It's a lot slower paced and more meticulous. If you go in expecting anything like Fallout 3 you will be sorely disappointed.

That being said they are great games in and of themselves.
---
Now with 100% real fruit juice
#5Fade2black001Posted 6/18/2014 4:32:14 PM
Shub posted...
Eh, no, there's no guarantee of that, at all. While Fallout 1 and 2 are two of the best RPGs ever made, and any RPG fan owes it to themselves to play them, really the only thing Fallout 1+2 and Fallout 3 have in common is the setting.

That's opinion based
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#6NingishzidaPosted 6/18/2014 4:37:47 PM
Fallout 1/2 (Old Fallout) play completely differently from Fallout 3.

Old Fallout features turn-based combat, Fallout 3 is real-time with VATS.

Old Fallout is 2D isometric top-down, Fallout 3 is first and third person 3D

Old Fallout is extremely heavy on dialogue, questing and role-playing, Fallout 3 lacks this focus entirely.

Old Fallout stats (SPECIAL, traits, perks etc) actually mean something, Fallout's 3 stats mean nothing.

Old Fallout has consequences for choices, Fallout 3 merely gives the illusion of choice.

While Old Fallout are two of the best RPGs ever made, Fallout 3 is nothing but Oblivion With Gunz.
#7ShubPosted 6/18/2014 4:48:53 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
Shub posted...

That's opinion based

Nope. You may like or dislike them, that's an opinion, but they are two of the best RPGs ever made, that's not an opinion.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8capgamerPosted 6/18/2014 5:09:58 PM(edited)
Nope. You may like or dislike them, that's an opinion, but they are two of the best RPGs ever made, that's not an opinion.

Sorry, I'm gonna have to call BS on this because "best" is entirely subjective on what you're looking for.

Best graphics? Probably not, unless you just really love the art style for some reason
Best plot? Maybe, you might think it is. I don't.
Best music? I can think of about a million games with better music

Best? Maybe to you, but definitely not to me. I didn't enjoy the time I spend with either Fallout 1 or 2. Doesn't mean I'm going to say they're "bad", but saying that real RPG fans love them is basically a load of BS.

Basically, just because something is "notable" (which Fallout 1 & 2 are definitely unique, notable games in the RPG genre) doesn't mean that everyone has to love them. Pong is a pretty important game in the history of video games but if someone tells me they find it boring or lame I'm not going to jump on them for not liking it.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#9ShubPosted 6/18/2014 5:10:21 PM
capgamer posted...
saying that real RPG fans love them is basically a load of BS

Can you quote where/when I said that?
---
-What is best in life?
#10capgamerPosted 6/18/2014 5:17:09 PM
Shub posted...
capgamer posted...
saying that real RPG fans love them is basically a load of BS

Can you quote where/when I said that?

any RPG fan owes it to themselves to play them
they are two of the best RPGs ever made, that's not an opinion

I can't directly quote you saying "real RPG fans love them" of course, but I am following the natural idea I seemed to be getting from your posts, which I disagree with. RPG fans don't owe it to themselves to play them and they aren't some of the best RPGs ever made.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown