This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So the only Command and Conquer game I've ever played was Generals

#1anonymous46773Posted 6/19/2014 1:14:35 AM(edited)
And Zero Hour, of course. I've heard very good things about the Red Alert games, as well. I bought a bundle with all three of them in it a while ago, but I've been told mixed things about them. I've been told 1 has aged poorly, 2 was the best, and that 3 was okay, but bad if you played 2 first. I was also told that they have rather amusing stories, and I don't know if I'd be missing anything by skipping games. Just planning on playing the single player of these games. So I ask -- should I start with 1, 2, or 3?

EDIT: I know I'll probably get a lot of responses saying just play all 3, but I ask in the chance that if I should skip them it saves me a lot of time in downloading the games. I have absolutely terrible internet connection where I live, so I expect it will probably take a good day or two to download.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#2DiviDudePosted 6/19/2014 1:20:57 AM(edited)
Try to play them in order. If you find yourself not liking one, then move on to the next.

edit about edit: 2 is your best bet. But I'd still have some patience and do ^^^. Besides, I can't imagine the original is a particularly massive download anyway.
#3Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 6/19/2014 1:55:14 AM(edited)
anonymous46773 posted...
I've been told 1 has aged poorly, 2 was the best, and that 3 was okay

This is exactly what I was coming in here to post.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#4Garage_ManPosted 6/19/2014 2:00:49 AM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
anonymous46773 posted...
I've been told 1 has aged poorly, 2 was the best, and that 3 was okay

This is exactly what I was coming in here to post.

Yep. Don't be surprised if you find 1 hard to get into. It's probably a good game but them graphics....I really try to not judge a game on that but it's sooooo bad ha. I get about 5 missions in before I call it quits.
#5Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 6/19/2014 2:04:03 AM(edited)
The game itself was good...in the mid 90s. The problem is that It's really simplistic. I think of it as the last of the great 'oldschool' RTS games, before starcraft came along and kind of blew the genre wide open. Great for its time, did a lot of cool things along with C&C, but it's pretty hard to look back at it and recommend a playthrough.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#6anonymous46773(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 2:28:46 AM(edited)
All right, sweet. Yeah, I wouldn't imagine that the first game would be all that huge of a download. I'll give that a shot and try to do them in order. Thanks for the responses, guys. Much appreciated.

Also, in case anyone happened to care, the original is still a good two and a half gigabytes or so. Should only take me around 4 hours ^^
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#7Chaos_MissilePosted 6/19/2014 6:38:03 AM
anonymous46773 posted...
All right, sweet. Yeah, I wouldn't imagine that the first game would be all that huge of a download. I'll give that a shot and try to do them in order. Thanks for the responses, guys. Much appreciated.

Also, in case anyone happened to care, the original is still a good two and a half gigabytes or so. Should only take me around 4 hours ^^

Red Alert 1 isnt huge. In fact, together with Tiberian Dawn, it's free iirc.

My personal favourite is Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge, mainly because I spent the most time with them.

Red Alert 1 is still very playable to be quite honest; the only difficult thing about it is how squishy the infantries are in the earlier games and how you're stuck with handful for a couple of missions.

Red Alert 3 is fun, though it is quite obvious that Starcraft is an annoying influence as RA3, like Tiberium Wars, is designed to be competitive. Music is good, but not as good as Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge with stuffs like Grinder, Power, Drok, and Fortification. Hell March 2 is also awesome.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#8djprofessork1Posted 6/19/2014 6:48:04 AM(edited)
Generals + Zero Hour is by far the best C&C so you haven't missed out.

Anyways IMO it goes like this:

Generals > C&C3 > RA3 > RA2 > RA1 > TiberianSun > C&C1

i really loved RA1, and TiberianSun, but they both really show their age, the gameplay is really slow compared to the newer ones.
C&C3 and RA3 are underrated imo. I think they are better than RA2. Especially with Kane's Wrath/Uprising expansion packs.
#9Skul_Posted 6/23/2014 12:10:26 AM
I actually like tiberium wars for some reason.
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#10ryan0991Posted 6/23/2014 12:12:15 AM
Skul_ posted...
I actually like tiberium wars for some reason.

Probably because it's a good game :P
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.