This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

(de)volution of Elder Scrolls tutorials/starter areas

#1NingishzidaPosted 6/19/2014 5:21:50 PM
Daggerfall - doesn't have a tutorial, you're thrown into the thick of it. The starter dungeon is a sprawling multi-level dungeon with death around every corner, some enemies can't even be killed depending on stat and loadout choices. Character creation is done beforehand, there's no interactivity other than a stat screen. Oh, and there's nudity. So an 9/10 becomes a 10.

Morrowind - well, you're in a boat. You get off and pick your race, then enter a building and pick your Birthsign and the rest of your stats. Once out of there, you're free to roam as you see fit. Nice. 8/10, loses two points for having a tutorial.

Oblivion - you start off imprisoned, there's lots of talking, following and fighting to get out of the starter dungeon. At least the Emperor has a great voice. Your hand is held almost the whole way, everything you do gives a hint as to how, using intrusive pop-up windows. It takes probably 10x as long as the Morrowind beginning. Luckily, you can change every aspect of your character at the very end of the tutorial, before passing out of the sewer grate. 5/10, too damn long, but just passable.

Skyrim - you're being drawn along by a wagon, the NPCs won't shut the **** up, they don't stop talking, ever. And their voice acting sucks. There's a beheading, a dragon and destruction everywhere, but it isn't dangerous, you know that this is all for show. Just gawk at everything around you, games are peep-shows now. Bit of a dungeon crawl with a loquacious warrior companion who kills everything for you and holds your hand and spoon-feeds you the most basic tenets of RPGs and ES lore, this mind-numbingly boring cotton wool tutorial takes 100x more time to get through than Morrowind's (no exaggeration). You can't change your gender and race when it finally ends, either. Thank god for the Alternate Start mod, who would ever wanna endure that **** again. 1/10, absolute console prole casual peasant cinematic schlock.

Comments?
#2Orestes417Posted 6/19/2014 5:38:39 PM
The waaaaaaahmbulance has been called. please breath into a paper sack until they show up to take you to others of your kind.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#3fatboy44Posted 6/19/2014 5:59:01 PM
Once Oblivion came along a lot of the challenge was taken out of the series. However my favorite game of any of them is still Oblivion with OOO + MMM. OOO is an absolute necessity for Oblivion
---
i7-4770K | GTX 770 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | WD Black 1TB | Seasonic Bronze 750W | Corsair 300R
https://soundcloud.com/aevio
#4Hi CPosted 6/19/2014 6:10:52 PM
Daggerfall had a tutorial in the first dungeon but it was just a bunch paragraphs that interrupted your gameplay to tell you random things.
#5pwnater777Posted 6/19/2014 6:11:54 PM
Arena also throws you into a dungeon. Thanks for including that, TC.

*sarcasm*
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
Steam Summer Sale 2014 - GO RED TEAM!
#6kill_distroyPosted 6/19/2014 6:14:13 PM
Download a mod that starts you off at a location / setting of your choice.
???????
profit
---
Words That Kill
GT: Risev / PSN: RiseQ8
#7WygunPosted 6/19/2014 6:29:31 PM
I dont understand why having a tutorial decreases rating for you but if thats a issue there are tutorial removal mods for morrowind and oblivion. Look at nexusmods.com.
The one for morrowind (quickchar.esp)is around 100kb and has no impact on performance or bugs, no reason not to have it if you want a quick start.
Dont know about skryim though.
#8LOLIAmAnAltPosted 6/19/2014 6:33:47 PM
That's why the macho man mod was created. Helps ease the pain
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
#9That1GuyyPosted 6/19/2014 6:39:05 PM
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
That's why the macho man mod was created. Helps ease the pain

Seeing the video for this made me laugh.

I like Morrowind's start better than Daggerfall's, because with Morrowind you can almost immediately wander off to where ever you want. Starting a new game is insanely quick.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#10KittyReadPosted 6/19/2014 6:52:34 PM
Wygun posted...
I dont understand why having a tutorial decreases rating for you but if thats a issue there are tutorial removal mods for morrowind and oblivion. Look at nexusmods.com.
The one for morrowind (quickchar.esp)is around 100kb and has no impact on performance or bugs, no reason not to have it if you want a quick start.
Dont know about skryim though.

There's the Live Another Life mod that starts you in a prison with a shrine of Mara, a bed, and a skeleton with 6 or 7 gold. Talking to Mara using the shrine lets you pick where you start.

Also there's another mod that does something similar but it also allows you to not be the Dragonborn by choosing whether the main quest is available, dragons spawn, the ability to absorb dragon souls, the ability to get words of power, etc.
---
http://i.imgur.com/1Pt6Irl.gif