This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to purchase a Mac desktop...should I go new or used/refurbished?

#11Blobs_Posted 6/19/2014 9:31:38 PM(edited)
DynamoManX posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
DynamoManX posted...
As an aspiring filmmaker/editor, one of the things that's held me back from further success is the lack of a Mac

lol

Yea that's totally the reason

one of the

Make a hackintosh then
EDIT: and stop being such a defensive ninny
---
is haha
#12DynamoManX(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 10:00:51 PM
rkpeagle posted...
I'm an editor too and I"m not sure about getting a Mac if you're budget is only $1500 because you're going to regret it.

I started off with a iMac '09 just to use FCP7 and it was just extremely underwhelming to edit with. I was constantly dealing with render times and when a client is paying us for a time then that's something we can't be dealing with. I eventually built a PC for $1500, switched to CS6, and I can handle editing RAW footage let alone HD footage with no problem. For me to get that kind of performance on a Mac, I'd be looking at a price range of $4000.

I understand the getting shut out of jobs because someone prefers FCP but if you're skilled enough in Premiere then it shouldn't matter because Premiere can do everything that FCP 7/X can do and more.

This goes back to my pet peeve with Apple: how absurdly expensive their products are compared to other brands w/similar or better specs.

I've been peeping this pre-built ASUS (I don't have the time, skill or patience to build my own PC TBH), and at $839.99 it already blows away all of the current-model iMacs:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpktCS9CAAA0vCW.jpg
---
What were you looking for you wine-cooler sipping pansy, a witty sig??? Carry on.
#13kobalobasileusPosted 6/19/2014 11:38:05 PM
You're SOL, TC. If you want a Mac for film making, you need a Mac Pro. Period.
#14DynamoManX(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2014 4:29:03 AM
kobalobasileus posted...
You're SOL, TC. If you want a Mac for film making, you need a Mac Pro. Period.

I don't understand why...the 2012-model iMac I linked to has specs that more than exceed the system requirements for FCP7, FCPX and Premiere CS6-CC.
---
What were you looking for you wine-cooler sipping pansy, a witty sig??? Carry on.
#15SinisterSlayPosted 6/20/2014 6:00:40 AM
You might be able to just hackintosh your current machine.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#16ShubPosted 6/20/2014 6:18:16 AM
I'm sure you know better since it's your field and all, but I thought the industry standard was Avid, not FCP, or at least that things are moving away from FCP toward Avid, which happens to be multiplatform.

Griff posted...
Check out Macforums.com, very friendly site, lots of Mac stuff.

And yeah, I'd do that for further input.
http://forums.macrumors.com/

DynamoManX posted...
Any suggestions on which Mac retailers/resellers I should hit up as well? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

PowerMax is one of the most reputable Apple sellers. I've dealt with PowerMax on multiple occasions personally as well as through my company, they're great.

There's also the plain old Apple Store, they sell nice refurbished units with the same standard 1-year warranty you get on a new Mac, and you can still tack on AppleCare.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#17ShubPosted 6/20/2014 6:19:54 AM
DynamoManX posted...
I've been peeping this pre-built ASUS (I don't have the time, skill or patience to build my own PC TBH), and at $839.99 it already blows away all of the current-model iMacs:

Hmmm. $839.99 is a pretty good deal for that, but I don't know if you can use it for video editing.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#18rkpeaglePosted 6/20/2014 7:28:40 AM
Shub posted...
I'm sure you know better since it's your field and all, but I thought the industry standard was Avid, not FCP, or at least that things are moving away from FCP toward Avid, which happens to be multiplatform.

You are correct sir, it's mostly Avid and Premiere now. Apple was making a breakthrough with FCP7 until they gave the middle finger to the industry with FCPX.

And TC, what do you see yourself editing? Whatever you decide to get, just make sure you get one with a SSD and only have the OS and programs on it.
---
FC - 5284-1505-9659
#19DynamoManX(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2014 9:46:39 AM
Shub posted...
DynamoManX posted...

XD I just noticed that, that's what I get for browsing this and PWB at the same time. Here's the correct link to the pre-built ASUS:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1014766-REG/asus_m51ad_us001s_i7_4770_16gb_1tb_7200_gtx650_windows_8.html

Velvet Sky>FCPX

Hmmm. $839.99 is a pretty good deal for that, but I don't know if you can use it for video editing.

---
#20ShubPosted 6/20/2014 11:29:21 AM(edited)
DynamoManX posted...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1014766-REG/asus_m51ad_us001s_i7_4770_16gb_1tb_7200_gtx650_windows_8.html

That would be a nice machine for video editing. If you wanted to game on it, you could do that without issue, though you may want to upgrade the video card (not that the 650 is bad, it's just fairly low end for modern gaming, but it'll still play anything if you're willing to settle for low graphics in some cases), and you'll probably want a large (512+ GB) SSD for your video editing.
---
-What is best in life?