This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So my computer is low on memory when only 200,000 kilobytes are used.

#21El MagnificoPosted 6/20/2014 8:57:55 AM
Doesn't the commit show the total available memory including the swap file? Wouldn't this indicate that he basically doesn't have a swap file if the commit limit is approximately 2GB and he has 2GB of RAM?
#22SinisterSlayPosted 6/20/2014 9:00:22 AM(edited)
El Magnifico posted...
Doesn't the commit show the total available memory including the swap file? Wouldn't this indicate that he basically doesn't have a swap file if the commit limit is approximately 2GB and he has 2GB of RAM?

Yes, it shows total used against total available including swapfile.
2gb is 2048.

Since his commit is larger than his total physical memory, and his physical is half used, we can guess than at least 1 gig of memory is currently in swap file. Basically subtract physical used from commit used to figure out swapfile usage.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#23El MagnificoPosted 6/20/2014 9:10:17 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
2gb is 2048.

Since his commit is larger than his total physical memory, and his physical is half used, we can guess than at least 1 gig of memory is currently in swap file. Basically subtract physical used from commit used to figure out swapfile usage.

If his commit limit is 2655MB doesn't that mean he has 2048MB RAM + 607MB swap? Or am I just misunderstanding what the 2655MB number means? The number to the left of the / is the current commit and the number to the right is the commit limit, right? Just trying to understand the Task Manager's cryptic terms.
#24SinisterSlayPosted 6/20/2014 9:25:50 AM(edited)
El Magnifico posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
2gb is 2048.

If his commit limit is 2655MB doesn't that mean he has 2048MB RAM + 607MB swap? Or am I just misunderstanding what the 2655MB number means? The number to the left of the / is the current commit and the number to the right is the commit limit, right? Just trying to understand the Task Manager's cryptic terms.

Not quite.
The TC was using 1gb of RAM, windows will have dumped 1gb to swapfile to keep RAM open and available for programs.

Physical memory is RAM being used and available for programs.
Commit is total memory being used, RAM and swap combined.

So:
Total memory usage - Physical usage = swap usage.

Here is my task manager.
http://i.imgur.com/pGtlMh1.png
My commit is 7gb, my physical is 5gb, I have a total of 8gb of RAM available and 15gb of commit available.

7 - 5 = 2
So I am using 2gb of swapfile.
Most likely that is background processes.
I usually hover around 7gb of commit, if I hit 8 or 9, my system starts to crawl because it has to start swapping on active programs.

-Edit
Forgot to mention task manager lies horribly.
See on the left where it says free and available.
Free is memory that is available right now.

Available is the memory that can be made free if a program needs it. As in it's actually being used by something, but it's not active at the moment. This is usually what will get dumped to swap file if needed.

Cached is stuff like files and programs that are using space to make themselves faster.

There is two ways an application can check memory. The legacy way will ask the system how much "Free" memory it has, the new way asks how much free + available it has.
So some programs will tell you you don't have enough memory because they only read the free amount.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#25El MagnificoPosted 6/20/2014 9:44:37 AM
Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. With your PC your commit is 7/15. That 15 should be 8 (RAM) + 7 (swap file max), right? I guess that's what I'm asking.

Also, I thought the commit isn't a measurement of how much memory is used, but how much memory is reserved or committed for use? If that is the case, then I don't think we can subtract the physical memory use from the commit to derive the swap usage since the commit counts physical memory that isn't in use yet, but could be used. I could be wrong about this since Microsoft throws certain terms around like commit, virtual memory, and page file around and use them interchangeably often, but they might mean different things under certain contexts.
#26SinisterSlayPosted 6/20/2014 9:49:32 AM(edited)
El Magnifico posted...
Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. With your PC your commit is 7/15. That 15 should be 8 (RAM) + 7 (swap file max), right? I guess that's what I'm asking.

Yes, the total commit is max swap + max ram

Also, I thought the commit isn't a measurement of how much memory is used, but how much memory is reserved or committed for use? If that is the case, then I don't think we can subtract the physical memory use from the commit to derive the swap usage since the commit counts physical memory that isn't in use yet, but could be used. I could be wrong about this since Microsoft throws certain terms around like commit, virtual memory, and page file around and use them interchangeably often, but they might mean different things under certain contexts.

Commit is used + swap

Task manager is missing an "Active" memory which makes this harder to understand.
The active memory can't be moved to swap file, if your active memory exceeds your total RAM, you can't do anything else. Programs will throw out of memory errors.
---
#27El MagnificoPosted 6/20/2014 10:12:25 AM
OK, so back to the TC's commit since that's more unique. It was 2139/2655, so that would mean his max total memory was 2655 (total) - 2048 (RAM) means a 607MB swap, right? In that case, wouldn't one of the reasons for his problem be that his swap is too small?

Also, if that is correct, then his 2139 commit - 1219 physical memory used can't possibly mean a swap usage of 920MB since his swap is only 607MB as derived from above. I guess that's where it's confusing me. The swap usage calculated would actually be greater than the max possible swap.
#28SinisterSlayPosted 6/20/2014 10:35:15 AM
El Magnifico posted...
OK, so back to the TC's commit since that's more unique. It was 2139/2655, so that would mean his max total memory was 2655 (total) - 2048 (RAM) means a 607MB swap, right? In that case, wouldn't one of the reasons for his problem be that his swap is too small?

Also, if that is correct, then his 2139 commit - 1219 physical memory used can't possibly mean a swap usage of 920MB since his swap is only 607MB as derived from above. I guess that's where it's confusing me. The swap usage calculated would actually be greater than the max possible swap.

His swap was about 1gb, the gb missing in the physical usage shown.
You can just look at it this way.

You know he has 2 gb used, and it shows 1gb RAM used, therefore the rest must be swapfile.
---
#29El MagnificoPosted 6/20/2014 10:48:02 AM
That doesn't really resolve my problem with the math. His commit limit is ~2.6GB which you've agreed is the total physical + swap. You're saying the commit is ~2GB and the physical used is ~1GB. Therefore, the swap must be ~1GB (2 - 1 = 1). However, if we add it all up, it doesn't make sense. ~2GB commit + ~1GB swap is ~3GB and not the ~2.6GB that we saw being the total of physical + swap. That math results in ~0.4GB of memory used that doesn't exist.
#30SinisterSlayPosted 6/20/2014 11:03:19 AM
El Magnifico posted...
That doesn't really resolve my problem with the math. His commit limit is ~2.6GB which you've agreed is the total physical + swap. You're saying the commit is ~2GB and the physical used is ~1GB. Therefore, the swap must be ~1GB (2 - 1 = 1). However, if we add it all up, it doesn't make sense. ~2GB commit + ~1GB swap is ~3GB and not the ~2.6GB that we saw being the total of physical + swap. That math results in ~0.4GB of memory used that doesn't exist.

I'm just rounding numbers.

Based on TC's picture.
He is using 1.19gb * 1024 = ~1219mb
He has 2139 total commit used of his 2655.
2139 - 1219 = 920.
So 920mb of his 2139 total memory usage should be in swapfile.
2655-2139 - 516
So he has 516mb of virtual memory remaining before his system halts entirely. Most likely Windows will increase this if he approaches the limit. The TC might be referring to the popup balloon message windows gives when your running out of swap file and windows is working on adding more.
---