This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I give up. I simply cannot learn programming.

#1jakisthePosted 6/19/2014 11:36:01 PM(edited)
I've tried countless resources (online, books, tracks, etc), and for the life of me, it makes absolutely no sense. Every single thing I've ever read seems to go from the ludicrously easy stuff like variables to absolutely obtuse concepts like methods or classes or instances with nothing in between, and I am utterly unable to follow a word of it.

Take this one:
http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/the-beginners-guide-to-objective-c-methods

Did the first bit; easy enough. Start with this - oh, it's telling me how to comment, pretty much the most straight forward thing in the world. And then...what's a method? Is he writing a code to determine length, is he using a method called "length", is this just an example, does this not actually do anything but provide a structure of a method, what's with bringing up (void), and what is he talking about with instances vs classes? What the hell is "NSString"?

And it all falls apart. There's no point in answering those questions individually, because this happens every single time, with every single language, and every single tutorial.

It's very frustrating...anyone else had similar issues when trying to learn?
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#2RetrowirePosted 6/19/2014 11:37:17 PM
I tried Javascript for the longest time. I feel like my brain in general has trouble grasping it because it is similar to the logical string of mathematics.

I've never been good a math. And programming follows rules and patterns similar to algebra. My brain probably just isn't compatible.

Either way, I used an excellent learning tool. codecademy.com Check it out. Great community there.
---
The most important question of our generation is,
"What has the internet made you become?"
#3jakisthe(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 11:41:37 PM(edited)
Heh, I've actually done the "courses" in Python, Java, and HTML at Codecademy...and I have no idea what to do with any of them. Actually, it was pretty bad since you have so many people making the courses there - it all gets jumbled up immediately.

I'm extremely good at math too; I do finance for a living and it comes super easily to me. But this is nothing like math whatsoever.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#4jedinatPosted 6/19/2014 11:43:07 PM
I started college majoring in computer science. I dropped the major when I found I could not stay awake in any of my programming classes.

While that does look pretty obtuse just googling whatever you don't understand seems to help... I figured a couple things out before getting bored. lol. I like the concept of programming but actually doing it is mind-numbingly boring to me.
#5JhayCeePosted 6/19/2014 11:44:35 PM
Try C++ Without Fear by Brian Overland. I have countless programming books and if I have to rate all my introductory programming books, this one definitely takes the cake. It does a great job assuming that you don't have any programming experience. It really baby-steps you into the world of C++ programming.
---
Religious people often judge me for being an atheist just because I don't believe in their god. I have a god that I believe in; his name is Gaben.
#6Garage_ManPosted 6/19/2014 11:53:07 PM
Public int MachineGunBullets = 100;
Public Boolean IsFireTrue = false;

Private class Guns(){

Private Void MachineGunFire(){
//probably really a fixed update method....
if(isfiretrue == true){

FireGun();

Else(){}};

}
Public Void FireGun(){

NextMethodofstuff(machinegunbullets, true, 1);
}

Public void nextmethodofstuff(int, Boolean, int){

}

}

What I wrote makes no sense..tbh idk why I did. I'm on my phone and bores I guess. Code is simple. You connect the dots. See how one method talks to another? See how the last one needs extra information?

Think of a class as a chapter h to a book, you need all the chapter in order for the story to work. Inside each chapter we house tons of paragraphs..well unlike a book we call up each one of these paragraphs whenever we need it.

Public Void DeadEnemy
PublicVoid IfYouTalkToSarah
PublicVoid NoYouCantBangZack

And the code will skip all over to where it needs to in order to assemble a story. Inside each "paragraph" we have MANY options to change and manipulate numbers.

An Array can be used to house all your guns. So you have

arrayGuns
[1] pistol
[2] machine gun
And so on.

We can have pools of enemies. That means we have one area of data where all the enemies are. We can call out each one or all of them, we can manipulate one set such as zombies and keep the dogs alive or we can kill them all.

We have all kinda loops that are crucial.

Still reading this? You are nuts :p

Start out with a command line text based game in c# or c++. Start out really slow...like really slow. Make a invintory list. Apple's and potatoes or potions lol.

Just give it time, once it clicks you are good to go. Keep at it!
#7Skul_Posted 6/20/2014 12:06:27 AM(edited)
Learning Python the hard way is excellent. Do that: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

Edit: Free version is here: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#8malufet18Posted 6/20/2014 12:10:54 AM
Start learning the simple language such as HTML then expand from there. There are a lot language and once you start to learn and master one the rest should be a bit easy to learn.
---
I'm here to troll and nothing else!
#9Skul_Posted 6/20/2014 12:15:21 AM(edited)
malufet18 posted...
Start learning the simple language such as HTML then expand from there. There are a lot language and once you start to learn and master one the rest should be a bit easy to learn.

HTML isnt programming though.

Also, TC, if you get confused when learning, just keep going. As you go through everything will start making sense. Some people get programming easily, some people have a harder time, and some people just cant get their head around it at all.

Edit: Buy me steam games and ill teach you too Java. pls pls
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#10somebadlemonadePosted 6/20/2014 12:16:18 AM
like all things learning to become a code monkey happens one step at a time, start small and work your way up the tree
---
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 4441-8331-5309
AJ