This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are these specs ok, and can some explain how the difference in quality works?

#1MasonDayPosted 6/19/2014 11:40:14 PM
I have an Alienware 14

i5 4200m
GeForce 750m 1GB
8Gigs Ram

I've had it for a few months and just finally started buying games for it. I like it so far, but I don't understand how the whole quality and performance thing works. I am able to play some games that I see as a much prettier and demanding game(I feel atleast) and then some games, I can barely play.

For example, picked up the Far Cry collection because it was cheap, I can play Blood Dragon and FC3 on Medium-High, with 50-60 fps during high intensity situations with lots of movement and explosions.

Yet on low, after tweaking in the config files and in-game settings for hours, I can get a max of maybe 25 outside and 40-50 inside occasionally on DayZ.

Same with Wildstar, I can run FFXIV on Laptop(Max) in the in-game options, at the laptops native resolutions of 1366x768 with 50-60fps average, some dips in high foliage areas to 35, and highs of over 120 in indoor, small locations. Yet, when I play Wildstar, I spent the first 3 hours of my play time tweaking and doing things to now get about 30-40 in the populated and dense Exile capital city, with 35-70 flux in open areas depending on where Im looking. It's playable, but not a solid fps by any means.

I can play Dark Souls II maxed with good performance, 50-60fps, and I can play RUST, after I used the console command in game to turn off dense foliage, at the highest render and graphics settings at 45-60 constant.

I just don't understand the way it works. I feel like FC3 and Blood Dragon look immensely better that DayZ, yet DayZ just runs bad for me. Is it optimization by devs. I noticed that when Wildstar was patched a few days ago my FPS did jump about 5-10 in most areas I was used to seeing the fps number in that I'd check.

Whats the most current game that I could run well.

Also, for FC3, I can bump the in game settings to Ultra, and get 25-35 with menu lag, and I CAN play on High with 45 fps with no lag, but I chose the higher fps on the mixed Medium-High settings.
#2MasonDay(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 11:44:12 PM
Also, is it viable to buy a new CPU and GPU for this laptop IF I have a friend who works in the computer field, he's been a tech and owns his own business and makes a living(a good one at that) building, repairing and servicing laptops and PCs for about 13 years.

I don't want to build a gaming PC right now, I know I will be able to spend about $1500 in an upcoming time, but it's not for about 2 years, but it will happen, it's planned. So until then, is it viable to just upgrade. I looked and searched and this model is apparently upgradeable, if you know how. He does.
#3jedinatPosted 6/19/2014 11:47:38 PM(edited)
MasonDay posted...
Is it optimization by devs.

Yes.

And no you can't upgrade the CPU or GPU. Even with your friend.
#4MasonDay(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 11:48:43 PM
So despite the articles and forum posts I read from people who said they could, and have, it's a solid no?

I was only asking for another opinion. Thanks.
#5MasonDay(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 11:51:59 PM
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19539156.aspx

This topic in particular.

I'm seriously just looking for input, and to see how much it would boost my performance.

There are videos from a user on YT who has the higher model of the 14 with an i7, and he has videos of him playing recent games to showcase the graphics, I can't run some of those games well at all, but he can.

Could I upgrade to a higher cpu or a similar as the i7s in the better A14s?
#6jedinatPosted 6/19/2014 11:54:23 PM
MasonDay posted...
So despite the articles and forum posts I read from people who said they could, and have, it's a solid no?

Let's just say it isn't worth it.

For one, you have a decent laptop for gaming already as laptops go. For another who knows what cooling or power supply you have in that thing and how it would handle more powerful hotter components.
#7MasonDay(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 11:57:32 PM
jedinat posted...
MasonDay posted...

Let's just say it isn't worth it.

For one, you have a decent laptop for gaming already as laptops go. For another who knows what cooling or power supply you have in that thing and how it would handle more powerful hotter components.

Thanks for the more clear post. Appreciate it.
#8mrtywerPosted 6/20/2014 12:02:15 AM
You cannot upgrade the CPU on that laptop because the i5-4210m is a BGA socket - Ball-Grid array. Basically, instead of pins/pads on a desktop CPU, there are balls of solder to make contact with the motherboard. When they are melted, and the cpu is attatched, it is permanent. It's a one-time deal. You would need to replace the motherboard and CPU if you wanted to upgrade your CPU, but the cost of doing so, you might as well just get a new computer.
---
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x