This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I be looking to get an SSD?

#1Fire_PloverPosted 6/21/2014 11:26:06 AM
Topic. I've got 2TB of space spread over 2 HDD's (one internal, one external), and while my Steam HDD is starting to fill up, I still have a fair bit of space on my other one, enough that I'm not close to running out of storage. Should I be looking at getting an SSD anyways, for the OS/certain games? Not sure I really want to drop another $100 on a 256GB SSD.

Thoughts?
---
"On one hand, I don't want to blatantly call you an idiot, but on the other, you're an idiot." - JosephDigital
#2BlueRamzaPosted 6/21/2014 11:31:37 AM
It depend if you care about how quickly windows can load up and run programs. Most people here are going to say your rig is incomplete without and SSD. Honestly, it's never bothered me to wait the extra time since I bought a new system with Windows 8. If you are still running an older version of windows, you might want to consider it.
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
#3Vindication123Posted 6/21/2014 11:34:57 AM
I'd recommend the SSD. Remember, the SSD are not a viable option for large storage atm.

It's extremely good for you OS, Programs, and most commonly used games.

There are 120gb for $80-ish, and 240gb for $124-ish out there.

HDD are great for storage of large quantities of files.
---
A turtle crossed the road and got mugged by two snails. As police arrive, they ask it what happened. The turtle replies, I dont know. It all happened so fast.
#4DragnfyrPosted 6/21/2014 11:35:04 AM
An SSD isn't required but you should definitely prioritize it over getting more RAM or upgrading your GPU if you already have a pretty high end GPU.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#5Cool_Dude667Posted 6/21/2014 11:41:09 AM
SSD or bust
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#6capgamerPosted 6/21/2014 11:48:46 AM
If you've got a little extra cash, I recommend it. I can really notice the difference since I put mine in. It's not super-required for Windows 8/8.1 because they have definitely sped up the startup process since 7... but even so, it's still a noticeable increase in speed on startup, file transfer, etc.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#7-CJF-Posted 6/21/2014 12:20:55 PM
I think the answer is different depending on your situation. If you have the money to spare, obviously it can be a worthwhile upgrade. Personally, I'm poor and I don't mind waiting a bit longer to boot windows/load games.

My Windows 7 system with a stock i5 and a 7200 RPM WD Blue boots in 15-20 seconds without an SSD and I could probably shave a few seconds off that if I disabled the GUI boot. I also like to have a lot of games installed at once so I probably won't be bothering with an SSD for awhile.
#8onetimez1Posted 6/21/2014 12:35:27 PM
I agree with everyone get it. It just makes everything faster I used to just leave my computer on because of the long load times. Now I just turn it off since it takes about 30 seconds to load up. Pulling up programs is super fast also.
#9monkmithPosted 6/21/2014 12:46:31 PM
topic is full of plebs, go for a RAM drive.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#10SythisTaruPosted 6/21/2014 12:48:44 PM
SSD's are more important than people think, especially with the size of games these days (lots to load in and out while playing). Wildstar for example is almost unplayable without one.