This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So if Seagate and Western Digital are terrible...

#1AppleJeZusPosted 6/21/2014 4:07:41 PM
What is a good HDD company?

I bought a 1TB Seagate Barricuda over a year ago and have had no problems with it, but it's not enough for the amount of games I have (That I will likely never play) so I was wondering who you guys would suggest.

hopefully between 1-3TB
---
PSN, Steam, GT: AppleJeZus FC: 3282-2984-1471
Asrock Z77 Extreme3 || Intel i7 3770k || 16gb Kingston RAM || EVGA GTX 780ti
#2mccue166Posted 6/21/2014 4:10:13 PM
Hitachi has the lowest failure rate of all the major HDD brands, AFAIK
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zWg66h
#3wdfosterPosted 6/21/2014 4:12:46 PM
Funny because the only hitachi i ever owned started failing a year later. My caviar blue is still going strong.

Anecdotal i am sure but still.
---
Steam ID - BarneyRound
#4mccue166Posted 6/21/2014 4:14:03 PM
I had the same problem with WD. And Seagate.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zWg66h
#5ShubPosted 6/21/2014 4:14:31 PM
There are three brands of hard drives: WD, Seagate and Toshiba. All the other brands you've heard of? They're all owned by one of those three. WD owns HGST (which was Hitachi's storage division).
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6TropicMoon10Posted 6/21/2014 4:17:13 PM
They're all decent brands. I'd avoid reading reviews for them as they're generally from people with bad experiences (I.e. "1 star because my drive died after a week"). Those are mainly isolated incidents from the vocal minority.

You should be fine with whatever you get. Sometimes you'll just run into a bad egg, but that's how PC parts are in general.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#7AppleJeZus(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 4:21:00 PM
Most HDD's come with data recovery warranties anyway, no? I mean if they fail you can either get your files back via warranty or pay a local store, what $20?
---
#8ShubPosted 6/21/2014 4:23:34 PM
AppleJeZus posted...
Most HDD's come with data recovery warranties anyway, no? I mean if they fail you can either get your files back via warranty or pay a local store, what $20?

I've never heard of such a warranty, if one exists... Data recovery from a dead drive is an extremely expensive process.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9AppleJeZus(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 4:26:57 PM
Shub posted...
AppleJeZus posted...

I've never heard of such a warranty, if one exists... Data recovery from a dead drive is an extremely expensive process.

It's an optional purchase on amazon. 2-years of data recovery coverage for $30:

-Covers new single-disk external hard drives of any brand when purchased within 30 days (receipt must be retained for purchases not on the same transaction). Not eligible on enterprise class or multi-drive devices

-Seagate recovers the data from your failed drive, whether due to mechanical failure or accidental damage

-Free shipping for in-lab data recovery; 24/7 online case status tracking
If your data isn't recovered, you get your money back

And their additional 2-year warranty for $7:

-2-year coverage from date of purchase: electrical & mechanical failures

-Fixed or receive full replacement cost in 5 days or less - guaranteed

-Free 2-way shipping for repairs

-100% parts and labor covered with no deductibles

-Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in first 30 days.

---
#10Orestes417Posted 6/21/2014 4:45:55 PM(edited)
If you look at user reviews every HD manufacturer looks terrible. That's because people with issues tend to be more motivated to report them than people who've had nothing worth commenting on. In reality, every manufacturer has bad models from time to time, every manufacturer will have a dead or defective drives some of the time.

Look at the warranty, look at performance, look at the professional reviews for the specific models you're looking at and google for known issues. Beyond that you're in about the same boat no matter what. There's nothing especially wrong with Seagate or WD or Samsung or what have you on the whole. Regardless of what twits who can't read charts correctly might tell you.

Oh and data recovery... yeah. Sometimes it's doable, sometimes it's not. If they guarantee they'll do it they're lying to you although I'm sure they'll certainly attempt a good faith effort if the platters aren't wrecked. The only way to be relatively sure your data is safe is multiple backups in different physical locations/

---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.