This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So if Seagate and Western Digital are terrible...

#11urtvPosted 6/21/2014 4:47:08 PM(edited)
Shub posted...
There are three brands of hard drives: WD, Seagate and Toshiba. All the other brands you've heard of? They're all owned by one of those three. WD owns HGST (which was Hitachi's storage division).

i though toshiba got part of hitachi as well?
#12Orestes417Posted 6/21/2014 4:50:26 PM(edited)
urtv posted...
Shub posted...
There are three brands of hard drives: WD, Seagate and Toshiba. All the other brands you've heard of? They're all owned by one of those three. WD owns HGST (which was Hitachi's storage division).

i though toshiba got part of hitachi as well?

The 3.5 product line went to one company and the 2.5 went to the other. That was a stipulation of the deal to avoid inciting some sort of legal issue. Don't recall who got which though

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_hard_disk_manufacturers#Acquisition.2Fmerger_charts_of_major_brands

---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#13BlueRamzaPosted 6/21/2014 6:06:07 PM
Seagate is the company I've always trusted to store my data. Never had any problem with them for over 7+ years.
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
#14KharilllePosted 6/21/2014 6:41:02 PM
Who does buffalo? I've had problems with WD wiring, seems they mess up but with seagate I've had no problems for .. yeah, about 7-8 years. Prefer Seagate myself.
#15MelvinSmileyPosted 6/21/2014 6:47:49 PM
All my WD drives still work great. one of them is over 5 years old and has not missed a beat!
---
If it can't be fixed with pantyhose and fencing wire, it's not worth fixing.
PSN: PointHrO STEAM: PointHrO