This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GPU: deciding between...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GPU: deciding between...
11 months ago#11
There's 2 trains of thought with gpus. Either spend a little less now and upgrade a little earlier, or spend a little more and upgrade a little later. Personally. I'm in the latter group and went with the 770, but the former has its merits also. Either card will work great in the present.
11 months ago#12
Heres some links to some benchmakrs comparing the 2 cards. Of course some of these are at crazy high resolutions you wont even be playing at.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/pc-components/3500795/gtx-760-vs-gtx-770-graphics-card-comparison-review/

But you'll see its not a huge difference and sometimes it varies by game.

I can tell you at this time, with the expection of a few big titles like Battlefield 4, the Gtx 760 can basically max or very near max everything at 1080p. If you are gonna upgrade in 2-3 years for sure you'll probably be ok.

I have a 760 myself and I got in January for a good price, I think around $239. And the 770's were around $100+ more. I just don't feel like I'll my moneys worth out of gpu that expensive cause it'll prob need replacing anyways.
(edited by SonyHoundDawg)
11 months ago#13
270X
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
11 months ago#14
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
270X

Get outta here with that amd rubbish!

Don't buy that or you'll have buyers remorse when your games stutter and have bad driver support.
11 months ago#15
So I just noticed this today and should probably ask...

My mobo is kinda old and only has PCI Express 2 ports. Does that mean I am unable to use a GPU that supports PCI 3?
---
I used to have a signature like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
11 months ago#16
Omegaforce725 posted...

My mobo is kinda old and only has PCI Express 2 ports. Does that mean I am unable to use a GPU that supports PCI 3?

Nope pci3 cards are backwards compatible so they'll work just fine in a pci 2 slot, they won't reach theoretical performance limit but as far as I'm aware it doesn't make much of a difference.
Also 770 if you can afford it.

EDIT: Actually what CPU are you going to pair it with? just with you saying its an old board. There's the chance that an old/slow cpu would bottleneck a 770 (or even a 760) which could affect the decision of which cards worth getting.
(edited by kill2this)
11 months ago#17
kill2this posted...
Omegaforce725 posted...

Nope pci3 cards are backwards compatible so they'll work just fine in a pci 2 slot, they won't reach theoretical performance limit but as far as I'm aware it doesn't make much of a difference.
Also 770 if you can afford it.

EDIT: Actually what CPU are you going to pair it with? just with you saying its an old board. There's the chance that an old/slow cpu would bottleneck a 770 (or even a 760) which could affect the decision of which cards worth getting.

I have an Intel i5 2500k running at 3.5ghz. I may overclock it to 3.7-4.0 in the future.
---
11 months ago#18
Depending on how picky you are with your graphic settings, I'd say you'll easily be able to go 3-4 years with a 760 and be playing at least on medium settings by that time.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
11 months ago#19
In that case the CPU is fine, You'll probably see noticeable performance overclocking it in the future though, but it certainly shouldn't hold either card back. Like I said previously if in your boat I'd go for the 770, mine servers perfectly well for 1 screen at 1080p, very rarely do I need to drop settings for a solid framerate.
11 months ago#20
kill2this posted...
In that case the CPU is fine, You'll probably see noticeable performance overclocking it in the future though, but it certainly shouldn't hold either card back. Like I said previously if in your boat I'd go for the 770, mine servers perfectly well for 1 screen at 1080p, very rarely do I need to drop settings for a solid framerate.

If I went with a 770, should I do 2GB or 4GB? The 4GB's are pretty far out of my price range, but is the extra memory worth it? Otherwise the 2GB 770's are expensive but I could probably manage it if it gets me that extra year or two till the next upgrade.

My last question (I promise) is about the power supply...how will I know if my power supply has the correct connectors? I see that most GPUs come with adapters so hopefully that will work with my power supply.

This is the power supply I'm working with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

Will it be enough to run these GPUs?
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GPU: deciding between...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived