This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GPU: deciding between...

#11ivanderlandPosted 6/26/2014 8:09:45 AM
There's 2 trains of thought with gpus. Either spend a little less now and upgrade a little earlier, or spend a little more and upgrade a little later. Personally. I'm in the latter group and went with the 770, but the former has its merits also. Either card will work great in the present.
#12SonyHoundDawgPosted 6/26/2014 8:27:29 AM(edited)
Heres some links to some benchmakrs comparing the 2 cards. Of course some of these are at crazy high resolutions you wont even be playing at.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/pc-components/3500795/gtx-760-vs-gtx-770-graphics-card-comparison-review/

But you'll see its not a huge difference and sometimes it varies by game.

I can tell you at this time, with the expection of a few big titles like Battlefield 4, the Gtx 760 can basically max or very near max everything at 1080p. If you are gonna upgrade in 2-3 years for sure you'll probably be ok.

I have a 760 myself and I got in January for a good price, I think around $239. And the 770's were around $100+ more. I just don't feel like I'll my moneys worth out of gpu that expensive cause it'll prob need replacing anyways.
#13MaxCHEATER64Posted 6/26/2014 8:28:05 AM
270X
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#14BuyersRemorse55Posted 6/26/2014 9:34:21 AM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
270X

Get outta here with that amd rubbish!

Don't buy that or you'll have buyers remorse when your games stutter and have bad driver support.
#15Omegaforce725(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2014 1:50:07 PM
So I just noticed this today and should probably ask...

My mobo is kinda old and only has PCI Express 2 ports. Does that mean I am unable to use a GPU that supports PCI 3?
---
I used to have a signature like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
#16kill2thisPosted 6/26/2014 2:05:50 PM(edited)
Omegaforce725 posted...

My mobo is kinda old and only has PCI Express 2 ports. Does that mean I am unable to use a GPU that supports PCI 3?

Nope pci3 cards are backwards compatible so they'll work just fine in a pci 2 slot, they won't reach theoretical performance limit but as far as I'm aware it doesn't make much of a difference.
Also 770 if you can afford it.

EDIT: Actually what CPU are you going to pair it with? just with you saying its an old board. There's the chance that an old/slow cpu would bottleneck a 770 (or even a 760) which could affect the decision of which cards worth getting.
#17Omegaforce725(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2014 2:07:57 PM
kill2this posted...
Omegaforce725 posted...

Nope pci3 cards are backwards compatible so they'll work just fine in a pci 2 slot, they won't reach theoretical performance limit but as far as I'm aware it doesn't make much of a difference.
Also 770 if you can afford it.

EDIT: Actually what CPU are you going to pair it with? just with you saying its an old board. There's the chance that an old/slow cpu would bottleneck a 770 (or even a 760) which could affect the decision of which cards worth getting.

I have an Intel i5 2500k running at 3.5ghz. I may overclock it to 3.7-4.0 in the future.
---
#18BogePosted 6/26/2014 2:10:38 PM
Depending on how picky you are with your graphic settings, I'd say you'll easily be able to go 3-4 years with a 760 and be playing at least on medium settings by that time.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#19kill2thisPosted 6/26/2014 2:35:56 PM
In that case the CPU is fine, You'll probably see noticeable performance overclocking it in the future though, but it certainly shouldn't hold either card back. Like I said previously if in your boat I'd go for the 770, mine servers perfectly well for 1 screen at 1080p, very rarely do I need to drop settings for a solid framerate.
#20Omegaforce725(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2014 4:07:53 PM
kill2this posted...
In that case the CPU is fine, You'll probably see noticeable performance overclocking it in the future though, but it certainly shouldn't hold either card back. Like I said previously if in your boat I'd go for the 770, mine servers perfectly well for 1 screen at 1080p, very rarely do I need to drop settings for a solid framerate.

If I went with a 770, should I do 2GB or 4GB? The 4GB's are pretty far out of my price range, but is the extra memory worth it? Otherwise the 2GB 770's are expensive but I could probably manage it if it gets me that extra year or two till the next upgrade.

My last question (I promise) is about the power supply...how will I know if my power supply has the correct connectors? I see that most GPUs come with adapters so hopefully that will work with my power supply.

This is the power supply I'm working with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

Will it be enough to run these GPUs?
---