This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Comcast plans/new Modems.

#1Flare1721Posted 6/25/2014 6:32:22 PM
Long story short im getting jacked on my bill (who knew?) from Comcast. Im going to upgrade to the 105 Mbps plan (Blast! plan) and get a new modem along with it since ive heard all Comcast modems are crap.

Anyone in the New England area mainly Boston have this same plan from Comcast? If so how does it work? Even if your not in Boston id like some feedback. Whats the Download really like? How about Upload?

Ive looked up on this board for a Modem and see that Motorola SURFboard SB6121 is popular. Anyone also have problems with this Modem? My computer has always got good speeds. But im upgrading for my PS3/PS4 connections.

Thank you in advance!
---
Xemnas - Best Final Boss Ever - KH2 || We Want Mega Man Legends 3!
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Strife1721.png
#2Darth CenaPosted 6/25/2014 6:36:39 PM
I wish I could leave Comcast here in Georgia.

Damn 300GB data limit.
---
Steam ID: Jobbertrev
#3fatboy44Posted 6/25/2014 6:37:51 PM
I've had great luck with the SB6121.

A side note with Comcast billing: they really cave into pressures about you *****ing for a lower bill. Politely tell the rep that you're considering shopping around for a more economic plan because you need to cut costs, and ask if their is anything they can do to lower your bill. They will likely transfer you to customer loyalty department and find you a deal. I'm paying $60 a month for the 60 Mbps blast plan that includes some TV package. I've got that deal for a year and will call and ***** again when it expires. Been doing this for the last five years and have never had my bill go above $65/month. Your ability to do that might depend on the region and competition, but it works great in California.
---
i7-4770K | GTX 770 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | WD Black 1TB | Seasonic Bronze 750W | Corsair 300R
https://soundcloud.com/aevio
#4Orestes417Posted 6/25/2014 6:39:56 PM
Yeah the surfboards are generally solid.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#5NicoC96Posted 6/25/2014 6:42:57 PM
The SB6121 I have reboots on occasion by itself, but it's probably caused by interference in the line. Nothing you can really do about that in terms of which modem you buy. Other than that, it works great.

For downloads and uploads speeds, I'm on the 25Mb/s plan. Because it's a cable connection, the data connection is shared. During peak hours the max speed will drop to around 23Mb/s, most of the time it sits between 25 and 28Mb/s, and will sometimes stay at 30Mb/s. So don't expect a constant stream of 105Mb/s, as your not going to get it. Rather the speed will fluctuate throughout the day depending of the usage in your area. Upload tends to be solid, as most people tend to just be downloading a pictures and other media content instead of uploading it.
#6Flare1721(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2014 6:47:01 PM
Darth Cena posted...
I wish I could leave Comcast here in Georgia.

Damn 300GB data limit.

They seem to be pretty good with me. Ive gone over the cap a few times and they dont do anything about it. I really want Google to make its way to the East so better pricing can become available (hopefully). But like people say its different per Area.

fatboy44 posted...
I've had great luck with the SB6121.

A side note with Comcast billing: they really cave into pressures about you *****ing for a lower bill. Politely tell the rep that you're considering shopping around for a more economic plan because you need to cut costs, and ask if their is anything they can do to lower your bill. They will likely transfer you to customer loyalty department and find you a deal. I'm paying $60 a month for the 60 Mbps blast plan that includes some TV package. I've got that deal for a year and will call and ***** again when it expires. Been doing this for the last five years and have never had my bill go above $65/month. Your ability to do that might depend on the region and competition, but it works great in California.

I hear ya! Im going to do so. Im paying $15 over the plan they have me on. Its $53 online and im paying $66. So im really pissed about that number one. Id be paying the same amount with the upgraded plan if I upgraded tonight but Im hoping they can give me a better offer since I dont know how long ive been overpaying. Especially since the bill just went up a couple months ago! Thank you for the help. I just didnt want to get jacked again. Its rather annoying keep up to date on all the things you purchase. Phone bills, Tv, Internet, etc. You'd think they'd tell you a better option is available.
---
#7Flare1721(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2014 6:52:18 PM(edited)
Yeah the surfboards are generally solid.

Awesome. Would gladly spend $60 on a modem I keep instead of renting one for $8 a month.

NicoC96 posted...
The SB6121 I have reboots on occasion by itself, but it's probably caused by interference in the line. Nothing you can really do about that in terms of which modem you buy. Other than that, it works great.

For downloads and uploads speeds, I'm on the 25Mb/s plan. Because it's a cable connection, the data connection is shared. During peak hours the max speed will drop to around 23Mb/s, most of the time it sits between 25 and 28Mb/s, and will sometimes stay at 30Mb/s. So don't expect a constant stream of 105Mb/s, as your not going to get it. Rather the speed will fluctuate throughout the day depending of the usage in your area. Upload tends to be solid, as most people tend to just be downloading a pictures and other media content instead of uploading it.

I get a constant 26+ on my 25Mbps plan. So thats good to know. I wasnt expecting to get a full 105. But it be nice to triple my download speed for the same price. I live in a suburb so my speeds never drop much. Must mean a lot of people dont use their internet or mines pretty solid.
---
#8APanasonicYouthPosted 6/25/2014 7:10:08 PM
I'm in the same boat as you TC. Moving into a new apartment and Comcast is just a royal pain in my ass as usual. Not interested in paying equipment fees either.

Not to hijack the topic, but anyone know of a solid (and cheap =P) modem compatible with windows 8.1? I looked up that Motorola SURFboard and it said it was only compatible with 7 and such... will it still work with 8.1? I'm not a genius with hardware so I wouldn't know...
---
And now presenting your St. Louis Cardinals! 11 in '11
GT: APanasonicYouth /// Playing: Dark Souls II (360)
#9Orestes417Posted 6/25/2014 7:16:48 PM
The OS doesn't matter at all.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#10muskegon03Posted 6/25/2014 9:21:02 PM
APanasonicYouth posted...
I'm in the same boat as you TC. Moving into a new apartment and Comcast is just a royal pain in my ass as usual. Not interested in paying equipment fees either.

Not to hijack the topic, but anyone know of a solid (and cheap =P) modem compatible with windows 8.1? I looked up that Motorola SURFboard and it said it was only compatible with 7 and such... will it still work with 8.1? I'm not a genius with hardware so I wouldn't know...

yes Motorola SURFboard well work with 8.1
---
PSN: thegame2003 Steam: Mark Domination Origin: markdomination
NFL: Detroit Lions NBA: Detroit Pistons College Sports: Michigan