This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does everyone need 60 fps?

#31Chewybacca34Posted 6/25/2014 9:07:46 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
Goshorai posted...
There's no "need" for 60fps, said framerate is just way better than 30fps.

Exactly. That **** is just thoroughly good with no downsides whatsoever.

It's actually a big part of why CoD is so popular on consoles, it's one of the few games that run at 60 fps on consoles and why so many people say the game just feels better than its imitators even when they have identical controls. They go for flash at 30 fps, activision isn't afraid to smear some Vaseline on the camera to hit 60.

Exactly. I played Borderlands 2 on 360 and just bought it for PC and a constant 60 makes it play so much smoother. It just "feels better".
---
Welp, see ya later!
#32CatToyPosted 6/25/2014 9:28:07 PM
Lagwagon17 posted...
Wow, I can't believe how much butt-hurt I caused. I mean, thank you guys for helping me to understand, but I didn't realize this concept hit so close to home for some of you.

I guarantee that it's not the concept rather it's how ignorant so many people still are to this day that claim you can't see more than 30FPS, and the topic is brought up so often that everyone assumes it's a troll.

It isn't just on this forum, it's especially common on the 360/PS3 forum for someone to defend their console by saying "You can't see more than X frames per second anyway!".
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#33chris1001 the sequelPosted 6/25/2014 10:02:05 PM(edited)
It greatly depends on the game. I played WoW for years with a 25 FPS average no problem. But after played Sonic Generations at 60FPS I could never go back to playing the console version as 30 FPS was just so choppy by comparison. The faster the game and the quicker the response time needed, the more a higher FPS helps.

That said, Having a STEADY framerate is more important than the 30/60 debate.
#34arleasPosted 6/25/2014 10:03:52 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Again, in some games there are very real limitations to a less than optimal framerate. That's why I said to go play quake 3. If you're not hitting specific numbers on your framerate it'll screw with your jumps and make some maneuvers harder or outright impossible.

If I'm remembering correctly from my misspent youth the high end of the magic numbers were 200, 166 and 142 if you had hardware to pull them off. That said I'm old and my memory ain't what it once was so if anyone wants to correct or expound on the math in depth be my guest.

From what I remember, 125 was a "magic number" since you could make certain jumps at 125 that were otherwise impossible or at the very least, extremely difficult.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#35ryan0991Posted 6/25/2014 10:27:02 PM
Lagwagon17 posted...
Wow, I can't believe how much butt-hurt I caused. I mean, thank you guys for helping me to understand, but I didn't realize this concept hit so close to home for some of you.

I think people are just frustrated with constantly debunking that "you can't really see above 30fps" myth. It's just so bizarrely pervasive.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#36DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/25/2014 10:34:17 PM
Pepys Monster posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Crysis plays fine at 30fps, and is still quite playable at 20 or 15.

no

yes

TF874 posted...
wasnt the original doom below 30fps?

IIRC, it topped out at 33fps logically. You can run it higher than that, but everything was made for ~30fps.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#37JavelinPosted 6/25/2014 10:44:20 PM
ryan0991 posted...
Lagwagon17 posted...

I think people are just frustrated with constantly debunking that "you can't really see above 30fps" myth. It's just so bizarrely pervasive.

As pervasive as consoles. Gee, I wonder why.
#38viserdesPosted 6/25/2014 10:49:55 PM
Goshorai posted...
There's no "need" for 60fps, said framerate is just way better than 30fps.

This.
#39AltmadragonPosted 6/25/2014 10:51:07 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Pepys Monster posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

no

yes

Just no.
---
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|
#40DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/25/2014 10:52:34 PM
Altmadragon posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Pepys Monster posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

no

yes

Just no.

wrong.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross