This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does everyone need 60 fps?

#41OMGWYATTPosted 6/25/2014 11:54:56 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Goshorai posted...
There's no "need" for 60fps, said framerate is just way better than 30fps. 30fps is often considered the absolute minimum when it comes to playable framerates, except for certain members of the PC Gaming community.

Was Legend of Zelda OOT unplayable to most people, then?

not only were standards not remotely the same almost 20 years ago, Zelda isn't a game where it would even be necessary.
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
XBL/PSN: Riotsquad18
#42KOOGARPosted 6/25/2014 11:55:36 PM
Because it's possible (for years) and if the companies wouldn't be busy milking the gamers with DLC, sequels and yearly roster updates they could easily make it.
---
Don't read this - it hurts your eyes.
#43OMGWYATTPosted 6/25/2014 11:57:17 PM(edited)
harcoreblazer posted...
To justify spending 700$ or more on a GPU.

you can consistently hit 60 fps on most games with a 750 ti that would work with just about any computer purchased in the last 5-6 years and it costs about 150 dollars.
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
XBL/PSN: Riotsquad18
#44UrgaleetPosted 6/26/2014 12:08:53 AM
anonymous46773 posted...
http://www.30vs60fps.com/

I'm dizzy.
---
Get him, girls! Maybe you can get a rise out of this limp wimp.
I AM the Shogun of Harlem!
#45Shin_GallonPosted 6/26/2014 12:42:27 AM
Movies shouldn't have that 120fps refresh rate because it eliminates motion blur and makes everything look like it's moving too fast, or like really high-res "As seen on TV" commercials. A TV that doesn't let me turn that garbage off is a TV I'll never own.
Now games on the other hand, the fps makes a huge difference because it affects input, which affects gameplay.
---
Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime.
#46DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/26/2014 12:44:13 AM
OMGWYATT posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Goshorai posted...
There's no "need" for 60fps, said framerate is just way better than 30fps. 30fps is often considered the absolute minimum when it comes to playable framerates, except for certain members of the PC Gaming community.

not only were standards not remotely the same almost 20 years ago, Zelda isn't a game where it would even be necessary.

OOT, no. It would sure suck in any top down Zelda post ALTTP.
But, then, that's kind of the point. Game was playable at 20fps.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#47KamenRiderBladePosted 6/26/2014 1:07:27 AM
60 FPS or more is what I prefer.

Humans can easily notice more than 60 FPS
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#48VelociPosted 6/26/2014 1:12:57 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
OMGWYATT posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Goshorai posted...

OOT, no. It would sure suck in any top down Zelda post ALTTP.
But, then, that's kind of the point. Game was playable at 20fps.

Also keep in mind, Ocarina of Time, and PSX/N64 era in general, was a MASSIVE leap forward in graphical prowess and tech from the 16 bit era. It was a very noticeable change in fidelity and just how games were played in general.

For the primitive, kind of unexplored territory of the tech of the day, a low framerate was not really on anyone's mind because they were so stunned by the jump forward to 3D. It changed everything.

Nowadays though, we're at the point of diminishing returns as far as graphical fidelity. We're not going to see that huge jump forward like we did from the 16 to the 32/64 bit eras, it's going to be a gradual climb. So if we're going to have relatively similar graphics, then people are going to expect the games to at least run at a good framerate.

Framerate correlates much more directly to how a game plays. Things are more responsive, it looks more smooth, and your mind has to fill in less blanks. It's a night and day difference once you've tried it out, and it's frankly hard to go back.

The good thing about PC though, is if you do prefer 30 fps (and that's fine if you do), then you can have it if you want it. The problem is when a dev decides to take that choice away. Console gamers should have that choice too if they want, give them an option for a lower fidelity, higher framerate experience. Bioshock did it on console, so I don't see why it's not possible.
#49AsellusPosted 6/26/2014 1:19:39 AM
For the primitive, kind of unexplored territory of the tech of the day, a low framerate was not really on anyone's mind because they were so stunned by the jump forward to 3D. It changed everything.

There were a lot of n64 games that had problem maintaining a decent framerate but the one I finally drew the line at was Turok 2. I just literally could not play the thing without getting a headache because of how choppy the levels were. Not long after we got our first computer with a 3d card and I tried out GlQuake and it literally blew my mind how ridiculously smooth everything was in comparison.
#50KabtheMentatPosted 6/26/2014 1:33:14 AM(edited)
Shin_Gallon posted...
the fps makes a huge difference because it affects input, which affects gameplay.

Winner winner.

Because unlike having really fancy graphics, higher frame rates actually make the game better. Looks better, but most importantly it controls better which leads to better gameplay.

Beyond that, higher FPS is very important to competitive type players. Even if your monitor doesn't support the FPS (say you have a standard 60Hz monitor, but get like 100FPS), you still get the benefits of the better controls...which gives you an advantage over people that don't have as high FPS.
---
Laugh at how dark it can get in this place, as if you're eatin' the soul of a demon for strength.