This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does everyone need 60 fps?

#51VelociPosted 6/26/2014 1:53:55 AM
Asellus posted...
For the primitive, kind of unexplored territory of the tech of the day, a low framerate was not really on anyone's mind because they were so stunned by the jump forward to 3D. It changed everything.

There were a lot of n64 games that had problem maintaining a decent framerate but the one I finally drew the line at was Turok 2. I just literally could not play the thing without getting a headache because of how choppy the levels were. Not long after we got our first computer with a 3d card and I tried out GlQuake and it literally blew my mind how ridiculously smooth everything was in comparison.

Yeah, it wasn't as though people were amazed throughout the entire life cycle. I think even back then, critics talked about Turok 2's abyssmal framerate. I may be remembering wrong, but I could swear it got even worse if you used that 4MB expansion pack and put it to high-res (that was 640x480 back then, times have changed) mode.
#52ArnMyraPosted 6/26/2014 1:57:10 AM
Game play over graphics every time. I'd take a clipping game of river city ransom over anarchy reigns.
#53mjc0961Posted 6/26/2014 2:01:33 AM
Lagwagon17 posted...
It has been my understanding for many years now that anything beyond 30 fps is virtually indistinguishable when gaming

So, what am I missing?

That 60FPS is very much distinguishable from 30FPS when gaming.
---
AnthonM2 posted...
BTW I don't see The Last of Us as a western game because many asians worked with Naughty Dog on the game
#54mjc0961Posted 6/26/2014 2:02:46 AM
ArnMyra posted...
Game play over graphics every time. I'd take a clipping game of river city ransom over anarchy reigns.

Well, yeah, I'd take just about anything over a crappy Platinum Games game too. But that's not really a helpful example of gameplay over graphics, that's just good gameplay over bad gameplay.
---
AnthonM2 posted...
BTW I don't see The Last of Us as a western game because many asians worked with Naughty Dog on the game
#55mjc0961Posted 6/26/2014 2:05:12 AM
anonymous46773 posted...
http://www.30vs60fps.com/

*barf*
---
AnthonM2 posted...
#56CatToyPosted 6/26/2014 2:08:28 AM(edited)
Veloci posted...
Yeah, it wasn't as though people were amazed throughout the entire life cycle. I think even back then, critics talked about Turok 2's abyssmal framerate. I may be remembering wrong, but I could swear it got even worse if you used that 4MB expansion pack and put it to high-res (that was 640x480 back then, times have changed) mode.

It did. This happened with every game that offered a higher resolution. Turok 2 played fine at the standard resolution, but then there was Perfect Dark which was already borderline unplayable and raising the resolution meant it struggled to hit 20 FPS staring at a wall.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#57JonicArcPosted 6/26/2014 2:16:19 AM
Lagwagon17 posted...
Wow, I can't believe how much butt-hurt I caused. I mean, thank you guys for helping me to understand, but I didn't realize this concept hit so close to home for some of you.

I feel like the difference in the DMC video is still pretty negligible, but http://www.30vs60fps.com/ shows an undeniable difference and of course I'd rather be playing at 60 fps. I've been a console gamer for so long that I was completely unaware of this shift in expectation. Glad to be up to speed.

I could swear I saw the PC version stutter a few times in that video. Granted the PS version did it all the time. But when they do stutter, they did it the same way. & for the same length.

Maybe the stutter, is more on my laptop viewing it, or maybe it is caused by something other then FPS? I'm sure Fanboys will jump to one conclusion, & some people will go with another. But it doesn't prove anything, by flaming each other or me. You still don't know 100%.
---
Why was another topic locked with no explanation? Did someone say something negative about a big MONEY console or game?
#58LvthnPosted 6/26/2014 2:37:13 AM
ArnMyra posted...

I agree, gameplay over graphics. Turn graphics down until the game runs at 60fps, because framerate impacts gameplay.

1080p 60fps is not a matter of vanity, it's an issue of gameplay quality. Resolution does impact gameplay, because higher resolution = more screen real estate. A larger screen just stretches the image, you only actually get more information on screen with higher resolution. And as has been described, framerate has a major impact on gameplay.

If you want to talk graphics at the expense of gameplay, look to consoles running sub-1080p 30fps so they can crank up the visuals for marketing purposes. Most PC purists will dial back a game to get the desired result for actual gameplay. In fact most competitive gamers turn graphics all the way down to minimize system impact and simplify on-screen information.
#59Januzaj_DragonPosted 6/26/2014 2:42:29 AM
peopel confuse 60FPS with smooth frame rate. i'm fine with smooth 30 for slower paced games. in fact 60FPS on some games looks weird.
#60JYLE_BrHPosted 6/26/2014 3:00:52 AM
Someone has never played a game at 60 fps.