This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I am genuinely no Steam no buy

#1Tyranius2Posted 6/25/2014 10:31:35 PM
I just don't see the point in buying games that aren't on Steam. They get their playtime tracked which I really like, and my whole library is there and I don't want to split that.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#2CatToyPosted 6/25/2014 10:34:11 PM
Good for you.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#3BatmanVonDoomPosted 6/25/2014 10:36:27 PM
I use GoG as well for games that steam doesn't have, and the fact CD Projekt deserve my money.
---
http://i.imgur.com/GC6An.jpg
#4GreenMage7Posted 6/25/2014 10:37:38 PM
I had always thought the "No Steam, No Buy" thing was a joke like the PC Master Race thing. Then I realized some people were really like that. Why you would game on the greatest platform in existence and then foolishly lock yourself onto essentially one storefront and diminish its greatness is beyond me...

...but whatever makes you happy.
#5Orestes417Posted 6/25/2014 10:39:45 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5795031808/h2748F34D/
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#6arleasPosted 6/25/2014 10:55:18 PM
If playtime tracking is a big deal, there's Raptr or Xfire (though I haven't used Xfire since it got bought out twice and started sucking). For the "whole library is there"...I understand the convenience, especially if you like to reinstall your OS frequently, but you can also add non-steam games so that you can use the chat/screenshot features of it.

The only thing it'd be missing at that point is the achievements on steam.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#7KillingMachinePosted 6/25/2014 11:09:47 PM
The big problem with "my whole library is there" is that also makes it a single point of failure. Especially when you aren't able to reinstall your purchased games without authentication.

As an example, what happens if Facebook swooped in with a pile of cash, buys Steam and then decides to rebrand it as a service for Occulus and mobile games while quietly leaving PC to die on the vine?
#8SteamsterPosted 6/25/2014 11:13:01 PM
KillingMachine posted...
The big problem with "my whole library is there" is that also makes it a single point of failure. Especially when you aren't able to reinstall your purchased games without authentication.

As an example, what happens if Facebook swooped in with a pile of cash, buys Steam and then decides to rebrand it as a service for Occulus and mobile games while quietly leaving PC to die on the vine?

It's far from a "big problem" when the only way to justify that statement is with a monstrous hypothetical that basically goes against everything Valve really stands for.

Valve isn't even publicly traded. They just don't give a f*** about selling out like that.
#9Haley Joel OsmentPosted 6/25/2014 11:18:05 PM
KillingMachine posted...

Can't spend your life worrying about what ifs, friend. I mean, what if you get hit by a bus tomorrow, or suffer a massive heart attack? No doubt as you're laying there dying, your final thoughts would include how you wish you hadn't wasted so much of your life gaming and browsing the internet. Does that mean you're going to sell your computer and dedicate the rest of your life to making a difference and bettering yourself and humanity as a whole? Hell no; you're going to sit there on your ass and play video games.

---
I see dead people.
#10VALikimlavPosted 6/25/2014 11:20:08 PM
Steamster posted...
KillingMachine posted...

It's far from a "big problem" when the only way to justify that statement is with a monstrous hypothetical that basically goes against everything Valve really stands for.

Valve isn't even publicly traded. They just don't give a f*** about selling out like that.

Valve sold out when it decided that Half-Life 3 wasn't as important as Steam. The second something better than Steam comes along, I'm switching.
---
Xbox Live, Steam, PSN, NNID: VALikimlav
3DS Friend Code: 2079-6916-4145