This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I am genuinely no Steam no buy

#21JohnMafiaPosted 6/26/2014 5:52:42 AM
KillingMachine posted...
The big problem with "my whole library is there" is that also makes it a single point of failure. Especially when you aren't able to reinstall your purchased games without authentication.

As an example, what happens if Facebook swooped in with a pile of cash, buys Steam and then decides to rebrand it as a service for Occulus and mobile games while quietly leaving PC to die on the vine?

You can come up with an over the top what if for just about any scenario.
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#22Darkstorm16Posted 6/26/2014 6:38:59 AM
Technically I have four accounts:
Origin- only for the free game deal otherwise screw them
Desura-indie games to mock and some very few great games but still
Steam- my number 1 because of sales and my friends are on there but I would consider this my Sony of the PC gaming.
GOG-this I'm going to switch more to because it's more easier and friendlier because of DRM- free plus all the older games I missed out on, I consider this my Nintendo of PC gaming
---
Nintendo Network/PSN: Desertking24/Steam:Desertking23
Currently playing: Giana Sisters Twisted Dream (PC)/Yugioh wc 2011 (DS)
#23King PazuzuPosted 6/26/2014 6:42:07 AM
I usually buy most of my games from Steam except Ubisoft games which I just get from retail.
---
In a 6 person hot tub, there should be a maximum of 3 guys.
#24AcquirePosted 6/26/2014 6:45:45 AM
The only other service I use besides Steam is Origin since EA's games won't be on Steam. If it's not an EA game though, I won't buy it unless it's on Steam. Makes things just easier.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
#25Killah PriestPosted 6/26/2014 6:47:30 AM
If you are genuinely no Steam no buy then you genuinely lack intelligence.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#26Freelance_WolfPosted 6/26/2014 7:00:51 AM
Guess you don't like classic games if you stick to Steam. Dunno why you'd limit yourself. I'd leave Steam if I could, but I already have too many games on it :/
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#27AlexTheNextOnePosted 6/26/2014 7:05:41 AM
BatmanVonDoom posted...
I use GoG as well for games that steam doesn't have, and the fact CD Projekt deserve my money.

This. I, however, always choose GOG over Steam when both of them have a game I want.

And CD Projekt definitely deserves more of our money.
#28Doolz2024Posted 6/26/2014 7:21:54 AM
Steam or GOG is fine by me; so is Origin but I still wish it did not exist because it's unnecessary. Uplay and any other Ubisoft game will not be installed on my PC ever.
---
4670K | EVGA GTX 780 | G-Skill 8GB
Full build here: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Doolz/saved/3RJ3
#29NicoC96Posted 6/26/2014 8:26:57 AM
VALikimlav posted...
Steamster posted...
KillingMachine posted...
The big problem with "my whole library is there" is that also makes it a single point of failure. Especially when you aren't able to reinstall your purchased games without authentication.

As an example, what happens if Facebook swooped in with a pile of cash, buys Steam and then decides to rebrand it as a service for Occulus and mobile games while quietly leaving PC to die on the vine?

It's far from a "big problem" when the only way to justify that statement is with a monstrous hypothetical that basically goes against everything Valve really stands for.

Valve isn't even publicly traded. They just don't give a f*** about selling out like that.

Valve sold out when it decided that Half-Life 3 wasn't as important as Steam. The second something better than Steam comes along, I'm switching.

I don't think you understand how Valve works. They aren't a normal studio that just takes a group of people and tells them to do one thing. At Valve the employees work on what they want from a list of ideas, they have freedom to suggest things as well. For all we know, very few people could be working on HF3, there is a constant stream of good ideas coming in, and/or they are still developing the new Source engine.
#30Orestes417Posted 6/26/2014 8:29:09 AM
None of which changes the fact they're failing to deliver hard.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.