This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shovel Knight is the best 8-bit game since the indie genre revival.

#21AlexTheNextOnePosted 6/26/2014 6:19:02 PM
iceache posted...
Lonestar2000 posted...
Yay, another garbage 2D indie game.

Says the guy who hasn't played the game.
#22GoIrish80Posted 6/26/2014 6:20:07 PM
Lonestar2000 posted...

"Look at me! I crave attention!!!"
#23JKatarnPosted 6/26/2014 6:20:46 PM
Lonestar2000 posted...

What trenchant insight, do go on.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#24akuma634Posted 6/26/2014 9:17:17 PM
I just played a little, and it's really fun. The game feels really well made, like very precise platforming, tight controls, and it really feels like a lost NES game from the last years of the console.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#25ebj767(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2014 10:46:21 PM
akuma634 posted...
I just played a little, and it's really fun. The game feels really well made, like very precise platforming, tight controls, and it really feels like a lost NES game from the last years of the console.

Exactly, it plays tight and feels right.
#26xVSaNxPosted 6/27/2014 9:49:49 PM(edited)
it's fun but purposefully hindering gameplay is pretty dumb imo, look at mercenary kings, another kickstarter game but it really feels next gen with all of the upgraded mechanics and systems they put into the game, this is just an nes replica to the t, not as much originality in it as there should be. I like it a lot, but I felt someone had to put the game in perspective, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do half of the stuff you do in newer 2d games and no reason for them to be so cheap in parts/ways

already got my upgraded shovel and armor, barely started playing this afternoon, probably try to finish it up in the next couple of days but where are upward attacks? where is native moving and swinging? why can enemies shoot thru walls but you can't? why don't giant pillars of flames hurt enemy knights? why can't you roll or backstep if they want to copy dark souls so much? why do certain enemies cheaply avoid secret path ladders/platforms if you mess it up the first time? why no coop?

mercenary kings is a lot deeper and better imo, it just doesn't have as much nostalgia crammed into one game or reviewer hype like this one does
#27Lucavi000Posted 6/27/2014 10:30:01 PM
xVSaNx posted...
it's fun but purposefully hindering gameplay is pretty dumb imo, look at mercenary kings, another kickstarter game but it really feels next gen with all of the upgraded mechanics and systems they put into the game, this is just an nes replica to the t, not as much originality in it as there should be. I like it a lot, but I felt someone had to put the game in perspective, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do half of the stuff you do in newer 2d games and no reason for them to be so cheap in parts/ways

already got my upgraded shovel and armor, barely started playing this afternoon, probably try to finish it up in the next couple of days but where are upward attacks? where is native moving and swinging? why can enemies shoot thru walls but you can't? why don't giant pillars of flames hurt enemy knights? why can't you roll or backstep if they want to copy dark souls so much? why do certain enemies cheaply avoid secret path ladders/platforms if you mess it up the first time? why no coop?

mercenary kings is a lot deeper and better imo, it just doesn't have as much nostalgia crammed into one game or reviewer hype like this one does

Welcome to NES games. Where your guy is weak even with upgrades and the enemies are cheap pieces of s***. I grew up on this kinda stuff so I can really appreciate it.
#28xVSaNxPosted 6/28/2014 11:10:00 AM
I had an SNES when it was new and played NES and Saturn/Genesis and Atari at friends (knew a surprising amount of gamers back then haha) but I notice flaws easier now

I can respect that you guys like how it contains itself to the standard NES capabilities, but I prefer upgrading on the system more, like giving shovel knight the ability to attack upwards or run and swing from the get go, rather than having to maybe unlock it later (dunno if you unlock upwards slashes but you unlock dash attacks)

I'm still whooping on the game tho, I like the dark souls influence and 2d gaming
#29darklink1017Posted 6/29/2014 9:29:58 PM
this game is SO MUCH FUN

highly recommend..wow
---
http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/snooki.gif
http://i.imgur.com/lOqsi.gif
#30BannedMomPosted 6/30/2014 3:49:26 AM
Better wear your nostalgia goggles.

Oh wait, im not 40 yrs old
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.