This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long do you think this config would last me?

#1X_ULTIMA_XPosted 6/26/2014 5:44:29 AM
http://www.dell.com/au/p/alienware-17/pd

Its the most expensive one with the gtx880

I was just wondering how long you guys think this might last me before it dies, if i used it for moderate gaming. I noticed the cpu is overclocked, couldnt that lower the laptops lifespan due to increased heat output? Any input would be great.

Please try and refrain from the laptops and AW suck please
---
Regards, Dolan
R.I.P fungivore 2012-2012
#2IzicialPosted 6/26/2014 5:46:03 AM
X_ULTIMA_X posted...
http://www.dell.com/au/p/alienware-17/pd

Its the most expensive one with the gtx880

I was just wondering how long you guys think this might last me before it dies, if i used it for moderate gaming. I noticed the cpu is overclocked, couldnt that lower the laptops lifespan due to increased heat output? Any input would be great.

Please try and refrain from the laptops and AW suck please

Don't get alienware its over priced garbage. Build it yourself and save several hundred dollars.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_
#3X_ULTIMA_X(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2014 5:55:45 AM
Even when i ask to not hate on them...... Anyway just because something is more expensive doesnt mean its garbage
---
Regards, Dolan
#42Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 6/26/2014 6:02:54 AM
It's an 880m so it will play most games on high at 60 fps and ultra anywhere from 30~60 on the newest games
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#5X_ULTIMA_X(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2014 6:18:14 AM
Thank you, how many years do you guys think this laptop should last me? Not until it becomes obselete, but until something such as the gpu dies or any other hardware failure? I would like 3 years out of it before it dies, what do you guys think
---
Regards, Dolan
#6PhilOnDezPosted 6/26/2014 6:23:51 AM
Average lifespan of a laptop is 18 months. I've never had one die on me that fast and I'm not sure what numbers they used to come up with that but it's about as close to a solid answer as you'll get and it's not one that I put any weight on.

I would expect something like this to last at least a bit longer than the average but it's not in their best interests to sell you something that's going to last forever. If you're buying it with parts overclocked then you'll definitely be losing some lifespan to that as well.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#72Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 6/26/2014 6:34:17 AM
If you take care of it it should last at least that long. I've had my laptop for five years and it still functions
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#8Hi CPosted 6/26/2014 8:24:43 AM
X_ULTIMA_X posted...
Thank you, how many years do you guys think this laptop should last me? Not until it becomes obselete, but until something such as the gpu dies or any other hardware failure? I would like 3 years out of it before it dies, what do you guys think

The industry standard for a laptops life before it needs something serviced is 50% chance after 3 years. You could get good hardware that lasts longer or you could get one that dies 1 day after the basic warranty is up.