This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Within the next few weeks I'm looking for a new laptop

#1EgoKiller801Posted 6/28/2014 2:15:56 PM
My budget is between $1200-$1500. Are there some brands you would recommend and some to stay away from?

I'm currently using a Toshiba that I've had less than a year that has had more problems than you can shake a stick at. I was getting blue screens within a month of purchase. We wittled it down to it being the hard drive. So I sent it in (which cost me $30 and a month of waiting) and they replaced the hard drive... a month later that hard drive failed. In fact, I'm not even sure they replaced it. I got on the phone with Toshiba yet again and they told me they would have me send it to one of their "higher tier" repair depots. I looked the place up and it was a stone's throw away from my home. I thought "**** it, I'll just drop it off there!". Nope. They informed me I needed to ship it there for some ****ed up reason. Another $30 and another month of waiting, I get it back. Two months later... same ****. I called Toshiba, same story, "We'll have you send it to the next higher tier repair depot." It's been a ****ing joke. Now my warranty is up and I'm out $750.

I am incredibly disappointed. I had a Toshiba that lasted a long time and exceeded my expectations. Now they have lost my trust completely. I would recommend never to purchase one of their pieces of **** laptops ever.

So that's why I really wanted to get some opinions on some laptop brands. Some I should look out for, some I should look into. What do you think of Asus and MSI? I'm not computer illiterate, and I know that I could get a good desktop for cheaper. However, I need the portability. Any help would be most appreciated.
---
He who wields the power of the KoTR, wields the power of Lionheart on Disc 1, shuns Omnislash, he is the bane of Grand Dragons, he is... "The One".
#2kill2thisPosted 6/28/2014 2:21:54 PM
Question that will be asked.
1. What do you want the laptop for (browsing/games/work etc)
2. If gaming what titles are you trying to run.
3. Do you need the portability really?
4. Are you sure you need the portability
5. Why don't you get a desktop?
Etc.
#3EgoKiller801(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2014 2:30:15 PM
kill2this posted...
Question that will be asked.
1. What do you want the laptop for (browsing/games/work etc)
2. If gaming what titles are you trying to run.
3. Do you need the portability really?
4. Are you sure you need the portability
5. Why don't you get a desktop?
Etc.

Yeah, I probably should have clarified a bit more, apologies.

1. This will be for both gaming and work.
2. Modern games. I'd like to be able to play something like Skyrim or Borderlands 2 at moderate to high settings. I also would like to be able to play heavily modded Minecraft consistently over 60 FPS, which seems to be pretty intensive.
3. Yes, I do in fact need the portability. I'm constantly traveling for work and it gives me something to do. Even when I'm in town, I'm all over the place and not at home often.
4. Yes sir. As stated, I'm willing to pay a bit more for the luxury of easy portability.
5. I have a desktop, but it's not what I'm currently in the market for.
---
He who wields the power of the KoTR, wields the power of Lionheart on Disc 1, shuns Omnislash, he is the bane of Grand Dragons, he is... "The One".
#4zero0817Posted 6/28/2014 2:34:03 PM
I have an MSI ghost and I love it. It's a bit pricey ( I paid 1600) but it runs games very well. I chose it because of how slim it it for portability to work and school. Has a GTX 860m so it runs a lot of modern games well. Only bad thing is when using the NVIDIA graphics card it runs loud.
---
Xbox and Playstation Gamertag - Absolute Bobby
3DS Friend Code - 0989-2816-0158 IGN - Bobby
#5PharohofLaptopsPosted 6/28/2014 2:44:05 PM
You shouldn't be getting a laptop to play video games, you should be getting a laptop for your schoolwork. You're wasting all of that money on overpriced tech that could be better saved for a desktop. and no, laptops aren't truly portable, unless you count needing a cord hooked to your laptop for acceptable gameplay as "portable"
#6EgoKiller801(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2014 2:46:41 PM
zero0817 posted...
I have an MSI ghost and I love it. It's a bit pricey ( I paid 1600) but it runs games very well. I chose it because of how slim it it for portability to work and school. Has a GTX 860m so it runs a lot of modern games well. Only bad thing is when using the NVIDIA graphics card it runs loud.

Ah right on. I was just looking about at some MSI's and I saw one that somewhat piqued my interest.

MSI GT70 Dominator.
-Core i7 4800MQ (2.7 Ghz)
-8 GB RAM (expandable to 32)
-1 TB Hard Drive (No SSD, but that's fine)
-GeForce GTX 870M (3 GB)
-Windows 8.1 64-Bit
Price: $1329.99
---
#7EgoKiller801(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2014 2:52:26 PM
PharohofLaptops posted...
You shouldn't be getting a laptop to play video games, you should be getting a laptop for your schoolwork. You're wasting all of that money on overpriced tech that could be better saved for a desktop. and no, laptops aren't truly portable, unless you count needing a cord hooked to your laptop for acceptable gameplay as "portable"

Yes sir, as I've stated already, I work a lot and this job I do requires me to travel. I insist on buying a decent laptop for both work and play. I NEED it for work, but the gaming part is for not boring myself to death. I have a decently capable desktop for gaming, but I don't get to use it much because I'm gone a lot. I miss playing games and I'm willing to "waste" my money on a laptop. I obviously have had laptops in the past, and I do know the difference between having my laptop run off battery and having it plugged in. It is still infinitely more portable than lugging around a desktop all over the place. I do not see this as a waste of money because it's what I want, and it's something I feel like spending my money I've earned on.
---
#8Tez75Posted 6/28/2014 2:57:15 PM
You'll have better luck asking --> http://forum.notebookreview.com/
This board has way too many trolls so you are basically wasting your time asking here.
#9EgoKiller801(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2014 3:12:08 PM
Tez75 posted...
You'll have better luck asking --> http://forum.notebookreview.com/
This board has way too many trolls so you are basically wasting your time asking here.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I wasn't really aware that there was a separate sub-group within the pc master race that is desktop vs. laptop on this board :D. I'll definitely post over on that forum, they seem to know what's up and also seem helpful. Thanks bud.
---
#10EgoKiller801(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2014 3:13:54 PM
Anyways, if anyone does still want to help, I'd still like to know what brands to look into.
---