This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is the YS Series?

#1Wallsof_JerichoPosted 6/29/2014 6:14:14 AM
Are they good games and are they long lasting games with alot of replay value? Was hoping they would go on more of a sale but if they dont im considering picking one or all of them up before the sale ends. Never tried a ys game.
---
PSN: Terryh2
#2capgamerPosted 6/29/2014 6:20:17 AM
They are good games. Unlike most RPGs, the modern Ys games have a difficulty setting so I guess it might be replayable in the sense that you can play on normal and then hard.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#3Wallsof_Jericho(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2014 6:22:15 AM
Kind of like "tales of" series then? one of my favorite series there, so im hoping i would enjoy ys
---
#4AsellusPosted 6/29/2014 6:22:45 AM
Thoroughly excellent action/rpgs with awesome bosses and soundtracks.

Origin and Oath are probably more recommendable than Ys1&2 - they aren't bad games by any means but they are essentially prettier versions of games which came out in the mid eighties. Your enjoyment of them is likely to depend on how forgiving you are very old titles.
#5FaPaThYPosted 6/29/2014 6:28:34 AM(edited)
Just speaking for Ys Origin, but there are a couple of unlockable characters(and an Ex mode of each character) to unlock, as well as Time Attack and Arena mode. On top of multiple difficulty levels.
---
"Because I realize I want you. Guts." | "....... Are you a ****?"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Malicii/
#6Wallsof_Jericho(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2014 6:29:26 AM(edited)
If they are fun and pretty good story, I dont mind if its an older kind of game. Origin was the one i was looking at first, then it made me look at the rest of the ys games. If i get them, I will just start in order of the games xD. Action rpgs are my thing and ive been looking for a new series to try out...
---
#7Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 6/29/2014 6:37:05 AM(edited)
Fantastic, but they're not all to everyone's taste.

1&2 are very old games that have been remade and have a battle system that involves bumping into stuff offsides. Ys: oath in felghana and origins use a more modern engine and battle system.

1/2, oath, and origin all stand very well on their own, it doesn't really need to be played chronologically.

I think origins is the best by far.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#8capgamerPosted 6/29/2014 6:35:56 AM
Wallsof_Jericho posted...
If they are fun and pretty good story, I dont mind if its an older kind of game. Origin was the one i was looking at first, then it made me look at the rest of the ys games. If i get them, I will just start in order of the games xD. Action rpgs are my thing and ive been looking for a new series to try out...

One thing to keep in mind is that the older games (1, 2, 4, and I think 5) use a weird "bump" system of combat. You have to ram into the enemy at an odd angle to kill them. It's very strange. Ys 3 plays kind of like Zelda 2, but in general I just don't like that game due to its loosey goosey controls and odd hit detection.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#9Wallsof_Jericho(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2014 6:39:21 AM
Alright, Which ones do you all recommend then? That weird "bump" combat system doesnt sound all that intriguing to me. I know origins seems to be recommended, any others?
---
#10kingoffpsPosted 6/29/2014 6:45:26 AM
Yizz? Yiss? Eez? Ees? Izz? Iss? Wise? Why-ess? Yuhz?
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...